The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #251
Xeen

Re: 1968

Did you buy those 67 ball joints from a local parts store and do you still have the receipt?
If so you can go down to Oreily's and borrow their ball joint press tool for free and take them out and take them back.
Even if you dont have the receipt you can still borrow the tool and take them out and sell them.
This way you arent stuck with expensive parts you cant use.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #252
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Did you buy those 67 ball joints from a local parts store and do you still have the receipt?
If so you can go down to Oreily's and borrow their ball joint press tool for free and take them out and take them back.
Even if you dont have the receipt you can still borrow the tool and take them out and sell them.
Yes, I did get the ball joints from a local store. Auto Zone and yes i have the receipt, but I do not have the boxes they came in. So after it is all said and done with the ball joints I will sell them with a lot of other parts.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #253
gdavis

Quote:
I dont know how far you are into the 72 brake retrofit plans but you will also need one of the rear crossmembers from the 72 frame where the brake hose attaches. Its not too horribly bad to remove, just a couple rivets. If you are like me you would rather have your fingernails torn off with pliars than remove frame rivets
Good job on the door frame rust repair.
yes today I removed the cross member on the rear and painted it black will install in a few days. The rivets were not that had to remove. I made a x on the top and took my electric chisel and they came off nicely.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #254
gdavis

Hello all. Today I removed the cross member from the rear of the 72 frame. Thanks XEEN for that suggestion about the cross member. I can see where it would be needed. Also dropped the front cross member and got a little of it cleaned with the electric chisel. It is a life saver that chisel. I also welded the lower rear replacement panel of the front fender. so now I have to replace the front replacement panel for the same fender. Tomorrow I will tackle that project.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #255
gdavis

and tomorrow I will finish both fenders. A slight bondo and they are done. Then I will clean the front cross member. and prime and paint gloss black.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #256
gdavis

It seemed that I could not get anything done I mean a project finished. I jumped from welding and waiting for it to cool to dropping the front cross member and the rear cross member. I guess if you look at the work I did I guess I did get something done. Maybe I can post more pictures of both fenders done tomorrow night.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #257
gdavis

Quote:
I dont know how far you are into the 72 brake retrofit plans but you will also need one of the rear crossmembers from the 72 frame where the brake hose attaches. Its not too horribly bad to remove, just a couple rivets. If you are like me you would rather have your fingernails torn off with pliars than remove frame rivets
Good job on the door frame rust repair.
Mr Xeen. If I am going to install a AC after market in my truck. Would I need that old box on the firewall. Can I buy a heater and ac combined and do away with that ugly box. It takes up a lot of room.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #258
gdavis

Quote:
Mr. Xeen can I do away with that box on the fire wall. I am planing on putting a AC unit later. I want to know if they sell a heater and ac together I hate that ugly box and it takes up a lot of engine compartment room.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #259
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Yes, I did get the ball joints from a local store. Auto Zone and yes i have the receipt, but I do not have the boxes they came in. So after it is all said and done with the ball joints I will sell them with a lot of other parts.
I dont think you need the boxes to return them.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #260
Xeen

Quote:
Mr. Xeen can I do away with that box on the fire wall. I am planing on putting a AC unit later. I want to know if they sell a heater and ac together I hate that ugly box and it takes up a lot of engine compartment room.
If you plan on laying out the cash for the Vintage Air direct fit Unit yes you can smooth the firewall on the passenger side because the unit is both Heater and AC in one and it all goes inside the cab under the dash.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #261
jonny..2008

i wish you nothing but good progress today mr. davis.
ill be at work wishing i was making the same kind of progress.

Current project (1959) fifty niner gmc fleetside:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...70#post6514670

MY daily driver truck thread : http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544460
jonny..2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #262
gdavis

So today I finished Both fenders. Now all I have to do is some bondo work and they are done. I am only doing the bulk of the finishing My Brother in law is a body repairman and I am going to get him to do the final totch up. It was cold here today soI did not get to do anything else. Stayed in the shop.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #263
gdavis

Quote:
If you plan on laying out the cash for the Vintage Air direct fit Unit yes you can smooth the firewall on the passenger side because the unit is both Heater and AC in one and it all goes inside the cab under the dash.
You are so much help to me. Off the top of your head do you know how much the ac unit will cost. After the hoildays I am going south for a lot of my parts. I might see if I had the money and the price is right about buying one. But I need a lot of other things and I don't want to get ahead of myself. Would if be better to fit the unit when there is nothing in the way or is that a problem.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #264
Bhelton

Quote:
And here is my helper I think I will give her a raise. She works like I do. work a little and plays a little.
Reminds me of my little girl helping me....awesome!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #265
Bomp

Amazing. Leaps and bounds on getting things accomplished.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #266
Xeen

Quote:
You are so much help to me. Off the top of your head do you know how much the ac unit will cost. After the hoildays I am going south for a lot of my parts. I might see if I had the money and the price is right about buying one. But I need a lot of other things and I don't want to get ahead of myself. Would if be better to fit the unit when there is nothing in the way or is that a problem.
The cost of the Vintage air sure fit gen IV is $1,335.00 no matter if you had factory air or not and there is one for both applications.
It doesn't matter when you do your vintage air install you will have the same amount of room on the passenger side under the dash and in the engine compartment.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #267
gdavis

Quote:
The cost of the Vintage air sure fit gen IV is $1,335.00 no matter if you had factory air or not and there is one for both applications.
It doesn't matter when you do your vintage air install you will have the same amount of room on the passenger side under the dash and in the engine compartment.
thanks forthe information.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #268
gdavis

Today, I finished sanding the front fenders. I also primed them. There is still some work to do on them, but I have a Brother- in -Law that will take care of that. He is a pro. at body work. But he lives in North Ft. Myers Fl. about 3 hours from me. When I get it ready he will come up and finished the job. I don't want to do a sloppy job at this point. Cause the burnt orange paint I will be using will tell on me.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #269
gdavis

Also here are a few pictures of the areas that I had to bondo.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #270
gdavis

And here are a few pictures of part I cleaned and painted alone with my full seat. Also is a picture of the fire wall I will be getting ac so I am going to close all three holes. It will make the engine compartment look a lot cleanes and roomier.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #271
gdavis

We have a Mother-In-Law cottage on the rear of our home. My truck parts have taking over the place as you can see. Since we both don't have a mother-in-law any more I have taking over and storied parts in there. No my wife don't like it, but I have to have some place don't I guys.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #272
Xeen

Looking good.
How is the reconditioning going on the 1972 front cross member?
Have you started reconditioning the 1972 steering linkage, because you will need it to do the disk conversion.
I would strongly recommend that you notch the frame for the power steering unit.
Keep on trucking.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #273
gdavis

Quote:
Looking good.
Have you started reconditioning the 1972 steering linkage, because you will need it to do the disk conversion.
I would strongly recommend that you notch the frame for the power steering unit.
Keep on trucking.
I presure washed the front cross member and the rear end today. It was caked with road tar and grease. Monday i will start wire wheeling the two parts. Then i will sand blast them. as far as the steering linkage I have savied the whole thing. Gear box to the tie rods are still intack as they were on the truck. when I took them off the truck I just set them aside. . It had manual steering. But I have already installed my 1968 power steering gear box. Isn't the link the same for 1968 to 1972. If not what piece will I need. Is the tie rod ends different. I really have not looked at them closely. Instead of notching the frame I just added spacers on the three bolts on the gear box to the frame.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #274
gdavis

Quote:
Looking good.
Keep on trucking.
I presure washed the front cross memer and the rear in today.Monday i will wire wheel both parts and then I will sand blast them. As far as the steering linkage I took the whole thing off the truck as it was on the truck. Is the tie rods the same for the 68 to 72. If not I will buy new ones. I havn't bought tie rods for the drum brakes anyway. That is one of the things I was going to buy after the Holidays. Alone with a lot of other stuff. Doors, inter fender floor panels, inter rocker, pillar, wireing harness, shocks, trailing arms bushings, sway bar bushings, tracking arm bushings and ton of other parts,
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #275
gdavis

Today i presure washed the front cross member and rear end. Monday i an going to wire wheel both parts and then I will sand blast them.. As you can see it is very cold here in Florida. It was in the mid 70"s.
Attached Images