The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
landarts
landarts

Project: Fixrupr 72 Cheyenne

This is the beginning of my 72 cheyenne long bed build thread. Should have started this long ago, however I have pictures of most of the work done up until now. FIXRUPR is what I'm calling this truck because it seems that's what I'm always doing is fixin it up. Also that is what my personalized plates will say on them......

I purchased the truck about 8 to ten years ago when I lived in Arizona and brought it with me when I moved to Idaho a few years ago. Didnt really do much to the truck while i had it in Arizona. Just start it every now and then and give it a drive maybe once every couple of months. Once I got moved up to Idaho and got settled in I was kinda forced into making it a daily driver due to financial situations. I really didnt mind that because it is fun to drive and I always seem to get someone that is making comments about the old truck. makes for a great conversation starter.

This build thread is not a frame off, more of a fix whats wrong, change it the way I like it build. I will be doing all the work myself and some guidance of a few seasoned friends. I have been collecting items for the truck for the last year or two. Like the following.

PICTURE will go here

• 68 front clip from a C-30
  • buddy bucket seats from 68 GMC
  • buddy bucket seats upholstery
  • tach from a 68 gmc
  • rally rims
  • new rubber kit
  • body mounts
  • van tilt conversion

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I have a problem collecting these trucks, as for now I have 7 trucks.
  • 72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR "
  • 67 C20 - my son's truck that we are getting ready for him to drive
  • 67 C20 - parts truck formely known as the " Chicken Dinner"
  • 72 1/2 ton 4x4 - fixing it to sell
  • 67 1/2 ton 4x4 short stepside - will be a longterm project
  • 70 CST daily driver until the 72 FIXRUPR is done - once done I will be selling
  • 72 suburban - possible for a 4 door crewcab truck

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: adding items
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
landarts
landarts

Here is a picture of the truck when I had it in Arizona and another being town down for body work.
Attached Images

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
landarts
landarts

A few photos of me filling in the aux. tank gas doors with sheet metal.
Attached Images

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
landarts
landarts

Here are a few pictures of parts I have already painted. I used single stage Sherwin Williams Crossfire gloss black for everything under the hood. The reason for using this product is one of my best friends owns a Napa Auto store and I get the friend dealo.....

I am in the process of tearing down the buddy bucket seat upholstery materials so I can make patterns and get the seats sewed up for the truck or more than likely I will have to send them to my big brother in Arizona that is a complete stitching god. As soon as I get the samples from online or my big brother and make the choices I will be posting progress on the seats. I am going with black seats, possible black and white houndstooth or a perforated leather look inserts, adding the drink cup holders to the flip down center seat. I already have black shoulder harness seat belts and needing to add a black lap belt for the center.
Attached Images

Last edited by landarts; 09-16-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
landarts
landarts

Here is a front drivers side fender that I got with my 68 front clip. It had a nice tear from the bumper corner. Craig the father of "valdez project build" is a master at metal work. He is giving me a starter lesson and how he would tackle the repair. Craig made the first square repair and did some pounding of the metal to get me started, I finished the rest of the repair and have the finder in filler primer now.

Craig was also kind enough to show his method of using a large sharpie marker over the ground down metal areas and using a file to find the highs and lows. Then proceeded to instruct on how to hammer and use the dolly on and off methods.

He is one of my seasoned friends that is an excellent source when i get stuck on something or just need another opinion.
Attached Images

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
landarts
landarts

After filling in the aux. tank doors with sheet metal I moved on to fabricating a metal housing to go inside the bed and support the filler neck from the aux. tank that Im still going to use.

What I did was take measurements of a in cab housing off of a blazer and adjusted to make it work for me. After measurements were transferred to piece of 18 gauge I scribed where the bends would go and rig up a poor mans brake . I use a large piece of metal flat stock that had, I slid the metal under the flat bar and clamped everything to a piece of plywood had sitting on the back frame of the truck. Once the bend was inline I bent it then moved on to the next bend. Finished off with a few tacks with the welder and a little flap disk on the grinder.
Attached Images

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
bosco200

Re: Fixrupr

Looks Great!
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
litew8

nice craftsmanship landarts!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
landarts
landarts

Thanks for the props. Its been a learning experience.

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
landarts
landarts

Here is a picture of the product I used to bring the rusty nuts and bolts back to life. I believe I bought evapo-rust at Harbour Frieght for $20.

I would take nuts and bolts from the marked ziploc bag and put them in the solution over night, then take them out rinse them off and them I had a scrap piece of 2x6 with holes drilled in it. Inserted the bolts and sprayed with single stage gloss black.
Attached Images

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
landarts
landarts

Here are a few pictures of some of the previous repairs done by the P.O.

I completely striped down this rear corner and reworked with a hammer and made some structural welds then refinished with minimal filler.

The gas tank patch they had done was a square plate from the backside - then they filled with filler which cracked. I removed and cut a new template and piece of sheet metal to be butt welded from the outside.
Attached Images

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
landarts
landarts

Well today I turned over the keys to my 16 year old son for his first truck. He got his license about 10 days ago. He is now the proud owner of a 1967 lwb c20. The truck has all the original items that were on it when it was bought here locally. A 327 motor that really runs great, stock radio, etc. No rust and not all dented up. Once I finish the paint on the 72 FIXRUPR in the next week or so, we will be rolling the 67 in for body and paint.

We have a set of 8 lug ralleys that we are getting ready to blast and paint, then get some smaller tires for his ride. Check back latter and I will post a few pictures of the truck when he returns from the river.

After he saves up a little more money we are going to drop it and put disc brakes on the front.

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
landarts
landarts

Here is an old picture of my truck that I photoshoped the ride hieght and the rims into. At least thats what Im going to shoot for.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
landarts
landarts

More blocking on the filler primer today, both cab and bed. Pictures will follow!

Last edited by landarts; 08-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
landarts
landarts

The picture above showing what I would like the truck stance to be, is that a lowering springs looking height or drop spindles and springs?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
landarts
landarts

Well this morning I completely tour down my Harbour Freight sand blast cabinet and re-caulked every seem. That thing was leaking like a sceren door in a submarine.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
The picture above showing what I would like the truck stance to be, is that a lowering springs looking height or drop spindles and springs?
From the little I've learned lately, it looks like it'd be both spindles and coils.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
landarts
landarts

Thats what I thought also, just wasnt sure on the whole set up.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
landarts
landarts

Try to finish up the prep inside the cab so I can get the paint on it in the next day or so.

One of the items I removed was the kick panel vents. They are used all the time in my truck and I wanted them to look good after the repaint. So I removed them, drilled out the rivets and separated them. Removed all hardware and soaked in evapo-rust. Next to the sand blast cabinet and cutting new foam gaskets for reinstall.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
landarts
landarts

Here are a few before and after picture from today......getting interior items cleaned up for paint.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #21
landarts
landarts

Here is a few from the interior of the 72 I am getting ready for paint. Cleaning up the floor areas to coat with hammerite black, then cover with 2 sided insulation from TruckShop.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #22
landarts
landarts

Here is the heater box sanded down and filled the holes with pc-11 to re-drill and tap. PO had used some odd ball screws. After re-tapping and paint I can use the new stainless steal interior screw kit.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
landarts
landarts

Update on interior prepping, painted the forward half of interior floor and under the dash with single stage gloss black. Have a little more prepping to do to finish the rest of the floor up to the back window. All of will be covered with two sided insulation.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
landarts
landarts

Here is picture of the automatic van tilt I converted last week, getting it ready for paint. I bought the tilt at the local pick a part for $25. The tilt is really tight and all the bearings seem to be in great shape. Cut in the neutral safety switch after I mounted the tilt in the truck for placement with the collapsed steering shaft. The tan colored steering column is the stock one that came in the truck.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
landarts
landarts

Today I will get primer on the steering column, brake assembly, emergency brake assembly, both kick panel vents, passenger vent actuator, power brake booster and brackets, 68 grill inserts. While all that is drying I will block out the rest of the interior for the last time.