The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
dmjlambert

dog seat belts

Does anybody custom make a harness that would protect a 75 lb dog during a collision or emergency stop? What I see offered online looks like they are just made to keep the dog from distracting and getting in the way of the driver, but not to actually protect the dog.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Re: dog seat belts

You might try Sleepypod.
http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/cp...clickit-sport/
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
weq92f

regarding the videos on the sleepy-pod link...

Pay attention to the head and neck of the "dog" in those videos. Be aware that this does not accurately illustrate how a sudden stop might affect the head and neck of a real dog in the same scenario ( strapped into the harness ).

The "dog" front legs are very obviously forced into a straight out position in the direction the bench was travelling when the "impact" occurs. Without restraint, the head will also be forced very brutally in the direction of motion and will pull the neck/torso with it.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Well, that seems reasonable there may be injury because of that. I suppose the overall risk of death or injury may be less compared to flying dog into the dash or through the windshield. My dog is pretty bad about falling onto his back on the floorboard and legs flailing around if I make just a routine stop, and it's pitiful seeing him get off his back and back onto the seat. He does that on just about any trip to the vet. I accelerate and brake and take corners very gently, but he's just prone to falling over. It seems he has never been able to figure out physics. He does like to go for a ride, though. So, I'm looking for something to help even with injury reduction in routine driving.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
... It seems he has never been able to figure out physics. He does like to go for a ride, though. So, I'm looking for something to help even with injury reduction in routine driving.
LOL! It's true, some can and some can't figure it out while riding in the car. Dog's are easier to predict than cats in this regard.

I agree the strap/harness is likely a good remedy for daily hauling around like you describe. Just trying to keep those adverts honest!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #6
dmjlambert

This is what I ended up getting:

Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash Tested Dog Harness
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064ACNLO

I got the large size for my dog.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2017, 04:22 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Just put in a 4.11 transmission, you'll never go fast enough to hurt passengers.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Jrainman

I think the set up you have should do ok ,but it has been shown that the best protection would be an approved airline Dog Crate,

Myself and my dog were involved in a devistating crash ,we were stoped at the bottom of a hill waiting for a car to go by so I could make a left hand turn on to my street.
this is a 2 lane major road speed limit 50 mph , a ford f350 going at least 50 MPH rear ended me and my dog in a little 99 2 wheel drive dodge dakota

He never even applied the brakes he sent me head on in to the on comming car I was waiting on to make my left turn , he hit me with such great force he completly ripped my bed off sending it over my cab and I totaled out the on coming car in a head on collsion
h
He continued on in the ford about 800 feet flipping over in to a ditch on side of the road , I am almost certain he was texting on his phone , because of the clear line of site he had while traving down the hill, But he claimed it was his dog that jumped in his lap that caused the accident, Sorry for the long story but I say all of this to say that both Dogs, his and my Dog where just fine with no injuries.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
This is what I ended up getting:

Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash Tested Dog Harness
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064ACNLO

I got the large size for my dog.
That looks a lot like the fall arrest equipment our mechanics used when going up in elevated work platforms. One thing that I'd think about if my dog was in one of these, is I'd try to make sure it faced forward all the time. Might be hard, but if you got into it, and the dog was sitting at angle, it could still get seriously injured in the neck from the sidewards force. Remember when we didn't have seat belts at all?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
Lemield

I don't want to hijack the thread but that is a fine looking Boxer dog! My favorite breed by far.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #11
dmjlambert

Thanks, my favorite, too. She is Abby and is a couple years old, and until recently we had a male Boxer named Buddy that was 8 years old and they played together a lot. I was driving like a little old granny to the vet for something routine, taking it very easy around corners and avoiding sudden stops, but there is nothing I could do to prevent Buddy from falling over, even when he was laying down. He just didn't understand movements of a car, although he sure loved to go for a ride. So, I started this thread to find out what people can do. We'll never know, but I think one of his spills ending up giving him a irritation to spine joints and he had a bad flare up of arthritis. He was completely disabled, and in pain, and we had to euthanize him a few weeks after starting this thread. For a semi-old boxer, I think a seat belt harness could have resulted in a few more years with us. We had another boxer a few years ago that only lived to be 8 because of spine problems. Some of our boxers have lived to be 12 or 13 years old.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Lemield

I can totally relate. We had to put down our big rescue Boxer Duke last December. He was 11. Still got my girl Daisy but she is 12. She is the best dog I have ever known.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Just put in a 4.11 transmission, you'll never go fast enough to hurt passengers.
Lol ain't that the truth
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote