The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
58-GMC

WIW: Pontiac 336 and transmission

I am in the beginning stages of the build on my 58 GMC and my plans do not include the original engine and transmission so I am looking for some guidance from you guys on what everyone thinks is a fair asking price.

It’s a Pontiac 336 V8 and manual transmission that is currently in running order.

Don’t know a ton about it as this truck was my dad’s. He was in the middle of restoring it but unfortunately passed away from cancer four years ago. A couple years ago I had a buddy who owns an engine shop look over the engine and transmission to ensure it had no major issues before I moved it out of my dad’s shop and over to my garage.

Here are a couple pics of the engine. The darker spots are dirt and wipes off pretty easily...it's just cold here in MN so I didnt want to bother cleaning it for the pics.

I would also like to hear what you guys think I could get for the entire long bed chassis, suspension, engine, and transmission, etc…basically everything except the body components (cab/bed).

Since my build includes an LQ4/4l80 swap, full Porterbuilt suspension, and shortening of the frame and bed, I thought it may be a better route to sell the complete long bed frame and grab a short frame. I know a guy who has a 58-59 frame and he’s offered to install the Porterbuilt suspension. He isn’t local to me but has installed many of these kits and is well known for his work so I know it would come out top-notch.

This is my first build so I appreciate any feedback and pointers you guys have!
58-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Gargoyle

Re: WIW: Pontiac 336 and transmission

It's cool and in running condition, somebody restoring another GMC or maybe a Pontiac or even a hotrod would be your market. How much wear and tear is on it? The new owner would probably want to go thru it so I'd guess around $500-1000 for the combo.
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

GMC used the Poncho engines a lot, BOP engines were known for good torque. I would agree with Gargoyle, probably in the 500-1000 range. I would start it and take a video of it running and going through the gears before you pull it though.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
58-GMC

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

@Gargoyle
I am not sure how much wear and tear is on it. It really seems like it is a strong engine. I checked the odometer last night and it reads 51,520. Tried to confirm the mileage but not sure where to check. The title just says "Not Required".

The truck has been in my family since 1980. My dad begin a restoration on it in the late 80's. When he started that he pulled the engine and went through it. He also painted it before putting it back in. Since the restoration the truck hasnt been driven. A couple years ago I had a local engine guy take the truck and look it over. Not sure what he did to it but it seems to run great. He even said it's a very clean engine.

I was able to drive it from my dad's shop over to my garage (about 10-15 miles) and had no troubles.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
58-GMC

@Clyde65

I took a video of it running this past weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a video of it running through the gears though. If it gets nicer out in the near future I will take the truck out and get that.

Here is the video of it running...

http://s913.photobucket.com/user/Cre...7d429.mp4.html

Just so I am clear, you guys are both saying a reasonable price for the engine and transmission is $500-1000? Do you think there is a market out there for the chassis? Below is a couple images of the truck coming back from the engine guy a few years ago. It shows the chassis and undercoating.

Last edited by 58-GMC; 01-17-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

If your refering to the frame and running gear, the only market for it would be someone restoring one just like or similar to what you have. Are you going to put it on an updated chassis?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
58-GMC

Originally I was planning on shortening my current frame while installing front and rear Porterbuilt suspension. I would then try to sell the front suspension parts to anyone looking for originals for their restoration.

As I was looking around for a place to help with the suspension install I ran across a guy who has a short bed 58-59 frame that he could install the Porterbuilt stuff onto. Since he is quite a distance from me it seemed easier to use his frame and try to sell mine as a complete roller. (Just so everyone knows, the reason I am considering using him for the install, even though he is a drive from me, is that he has done several of these installs and is known on this forum to do some amazing work.)

I can't decide if this is the best way to go about it so I thought I would get some input from you guys here.

The frame I have now has new-ish undercoating on it and I would first have to scrap that stuff off, then sandblast the frame before starting the suspension install. It just seemed like such a waste of a nicely coated frame to do that all to it if someone else could use it as it sits now.

If there isnt a market, and it isnt cost-effective to sell my frame as a roller I will probably just go with using it and just sell the engine and tranny.