The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #2426
dsraven

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

keep a light at one side/end and watch the reflection of the paint as it goes on. it should be uniform and not too orange peely (not enough product or too much air with the product so it dries as it is aerosolled) or too glossy (too much product being laid down so too slow gun travel or the product delivery needle is open too far)
anyway, it's just wood so shoot it and if it looks bad right away just lay it down and brush it. it's like you used the gun to apply the paint prior to brushing. better than dipping the brush, lol.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #2427
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hang it, spray it a board at a time, then take it down and lay it flat. hard to run if it is laying flat. more chance of dust in the paint so keep the door closed or filter the air into the shop.
I don’t gain anything if I have to take it down after spraying to keep it from running - it’d still be wet.

I gain time IF I hang it, spray all sides and let it dry.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 AM   #2428
dsraven

thats right. get'er done.
you will find it aint that tough. i figured it out, you will too. try it on the garbage can or something first, lol.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #2429
Dan in Pasadena

Cut to the chase, the first coat went on with a brush and looks fine.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #2430
Dan in Pasadena

Seat belts going in today too. I’m not super happy with Seatbelt Solutions even though their belts look to be top quality.

Reason? See photos. The long black part shown on their website photo is not what you get so the belt can’t be installed without twisting it. I waited too long since purchase to try to ask for an exchange so I had to install them. I made sure they won’t bind but it just irks me that they don’t send what their site shows.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #2431
Black_Sheep

Nice work on the wood Dan. I did about 20 coats on mine and block sanded every 2nd coat, time consuming but worth it...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #2432
Dan in Pasadena

Black Sheep - Yours looks EXACTLY like I’d like mine to come out. Very classy sheen.

I don’t mind doing however many coats necessary to get the look I want. Yours is satin or semi-gloss, I assume? What brand varnish or polyurethane?

What grit sandpaper and was it wet sanding? I remembered someone had posted about sanding every other coat, not every coat - good tip, thanks! Sorry for so many questions. Same number of coats top and bottom? Any/all advice really appreciated.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #2433
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, so apparently every job I do (myself) on my truck is required to be a PAIN IN THE ASS! Lol....or maybe I’m just a lousy mechanic

Got my seatbelts all installed except the passenger side shoulder mount. Painter left some bondo (I guess) in the threads. I used a thread chaser to clean them and must have cross-threaded them. I cleaned the driver side similarly and it worked like a charm. Anyway, I boogered them up and I’m guessing the only fix now is to step up to the next size bolt with a blind hole tap. If anyone has another suggestion I’m all ears.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #2434
G&R's57GMC

Ouch
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 AM   #2435
dsraven

well, the wood looks awesome anyway. sorry to hear about the threads. like you say, bigger bolt hole if you have enough meat in the nut back there for a larger bolt.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #2436
rapid49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Ok, so apparently every job I do (myself) on my truck is required to be a PAIN IN THE ASS! Lol....or maybe I’m just a lousy mechanic

Got my seatbelts all installed except the passenger side shoulder mount. Painter left some bondo (I guess) in the threads. I used a thread chaser to clean them and must have cross-threaded them. I cleaned the driver side similarly and it worked like a charm. Anyway, I boogered them up and I’m guessing the only fix now is to step up to the next size bolt with a blind hole tap. If anyone has another suggestion I’m all ears.
I would do a heli coil insert to repair the threads , that way I could use the original bolt.
rapid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #2437
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

x2 on the Heli coil.

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #2438
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks JJ. I’ve never installed one before. Searching online makes it look pretty easy. Except this is a blind hole. So I don’t know if the installation tool provided with them will work alright? If not, what to do? Get a same sized tap made for a blind hole? Or is it a special tap of some kind?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 01-24-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #2439
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid49 View Post
I would do a heli coil insert to repair the threads , that way I could use the original bolt.
Ok, you guys talked me into it. Just ordered a heli coil installation kit from Amazon! Fingers crossed. When the helicoil fails and I bounce my face off the steering wheel I’ll blame it on you! Ha ha ha.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 01-24-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #2440
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Lot's of info on You Tube!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-uxtuE1xKM

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:58 AM   #2441
Black_Sheep

Dan I put 5 or 6 coats on the bottom of the boards, the goal was strictly to seal out moisture. Topside the goal was to level the surface, that's where the sanding comes in. I wet sanded with a hard block between coats with 320 or 400, sorry I don't remember exactly what grit. For the finish I originally started with gloss Minwax Helmsman Spar but changed my mind and did the last few coats with the satin finish. The nice amber hue is strictly from the varnish, the wood is unstained oak.

I felt the gloss was too shiny
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #2442
Flysocal

Try a tap of the same size before the helicoil. Looks like enough thread left on the back end. If not enough meat go with the helicoil. Lookin good Dan!
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #2443
Flysocal

I’ve got a set of chasers and I don’t use them anymore. Like a dull knife they make a mess of threads. I now use taps but carefully. Much better!
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #2444
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
I’ve got a set of chasers and I don’t use them anymore. Like a dull knife they make a mess of threads. I now use taps but carefully. Much better!
NOW you tell me! I thought I was doing a great job because I bought a set of chasers before starting reassembly and not just using a bolt!. Oh well.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #2445
ptc

Should always just use taps not chasers.... A tap may clean that up for you enough - just use a "dead end" tap... it has a flat bottom instead of a pointed one and will thread to the bottom of the hole.

If your bolt doesnt wiggle or pull out when you get it in there it should be safe enough to keep your belt planted
Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #2446
Dan in Pasadena

^^^ I was always told the exact opposite. DON’T use a tap to clean threads, use a thread chaser - which is why I bought a set. I ordered a helicoil installation set from Amazon last night. I guess now I’ll be looking for a bottoming tap.

Black Sheep, I can already tell the full gloss will be a little too shiny for my taste. I’ll use up my quart and switch to satin like you did later. Good idea on 4-5 coats on the underside. Seems as though that should be plenty.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 01-27-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #2447
lower50's

You could always make your own chaser. Just file or grind a grove lengthwise into a bolt the right size.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #2448
Dan in Pasadena

Well, I’m back home. So work can start again on my ‘55.

Took a whirlwind, 24 hr, 500 mi round trip to my step son’s house to clean our 5th wheel trailer so it could be towed back to L.A. by a pick up service. Why? For those who havent followed this thread, my purchased-new, happy-birthday-to-me ‘08 Chevy crew 3500 dually LTZ Silverado burnt to the ground a year ago and I never installed a hitch in my replacement truck. It STILL kills me that rats caused it - nest materials around the turbo charger piping after a 2 week vacation and I didnt open the hood before it was driven!

Anyway, the helicoil installation kit arrived while I was gone but now I think I’m gonna go looking for a 7/16”-20 bottoming tap - is that the correct name?

EDIT Saturday: After the long delay the 1st coat went on the bottom sides today. Good thing it had extra long to dry as there were some minor drips. They’d hardened so I razor bladed them off, a light sand and you’ll (I’ll!) never be able to tell.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 01-27-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 AM   #2449
Dan in Pasadena

So, this is starting to happen

It’s happening on both top & bottom, but more on bottom. NO, I did not shake the can. Light stirring only.

It did not happen on first coat, only second. So I assume it’s some kind of reaction to the prior coat. I allowed 24hrs+ drying time as per the label. Once I finished applying, I cleaned the brush - takes 5 minutes. I go back and see bubbles. I very lightly rebrush to remove them and re-wash the brush. I come back several hours later and these few bubbles are back!

I’ll wet sand probably with 400 grit tomorrow and the circles left behind will go away, but it still bugs me. Ideas?
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2018, 01:14 AM   #2450
dsraven

looks like the coats applied have not dried yet and are off gassing still. more time between coats I guess.