The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
firedoger

Spicer hub parts question

I noticed the other day on my 72 cst blazer that my drivers side hub is throwing some grease on to my wheel. The front axel is stock. It looks like all the small Allen head bolts have rusted through and broke. I can turn the chrome bezel by hand. Are these Allen head bolts replaceable or am I better off putting some new Warn premiums hubs on it?
firedoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
firedoger

Re: Spicer hub parts question

I should have checked the bolts before I posted the question. It doesn't look like they broke. Should the chrome bezel be able to be spun by hand?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
old man jimmy

No
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
firedoger

What would be causing it to do that?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
pound41

If I remember correctly they bolt into a flat washer part that either locks down another part or vise versa. I haven't taken one a part in years. Getting ready to do it to replace u joints. Look a a diagram of the lay out of parts fairly simple design
Hope that helps
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Chulisohombre

The outer hub body bolts into the inner hub which engages the splines of the hub and a inner spline that spins on the axleshafts. The outer body should not spin. If the bolts are still there it may have worn out the hub splines or the outer hub lock had broken or stripped. You're going to have to take it apart to see what going on. A new set of warns are under a hundred on amazon shipped. Premiums are more. I've heard the spicer lockouts are stronger but more problematic than aftermarket ones. I like my warn standards and are easier to work than the original ones.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
firedoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
The outer hub body bolts into the inner hub which engages the splines of the hub and a inner spline that spins on the axleshafts. The outer body should not spin. If the bolts are still there it may have worn out the hub splines or the outer hub lock had broken or stripped. You're going to have to take it apart to see what going on. A new set of warns are under a hundred on amazon shipped. Premiums are more. I've heard the spicer lockouts are stronger but more problematic than aftermarket ones. I like my warn standards and are easier to work than the original ones.
That's the info I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Chulisohombre

No problem. There are some stockers on eBay if you are worried about that. Expensive though. My blazer there isn't much stock in the drivetrain anymore so I just used the warns. I've heard the super winch ones are stronger hub locks for four wheeling but I havnt had any problems with my standard warns.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
firedoger

I found some premiums for $89 shipped. I will prolly go that route. I don't do much wheeling with it. The outer bezel will tighten up if I turn counter clock wise. I wonder what that means? Anyway I hate to tare into right now because the driving weather here in Phoenix is perfect with out the top and drive almost everyday. Will it hurt anything just to drive it the way it is?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Chulisohombre

Maybe you have a set of weird ones with a removable outer bezel. I've not ever seen ones like that. If it is slinging grease it can eventually hurt the bearing. If you can tighten the outer ring down so it won't get lost it probably won't hurt to drive it til you tear it down.can you put a pic up so we know the exact hub locks you have? It shouldn't spin unless you have some weird external hub like the old heaps and some early toyotas.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
firedoger

Pict of hub.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Chulisohombre

Ok definitely the ones I thought you had. With those screws in it nothing should rotate. So still same scenario. The only other thing I was thinking is that if the wheel bearing are getting too hot and melting the grease, it could start seaping out of the hub as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
firedoger

I pulled apart the hub this morning and found nothing wrong with it. It didn't look worn all the splines look good. I re-greased it and slapped it back together and what do ya know the chrome bezzel doesn't spin any more. Weird. It deserves further investigation. I'm going to pull the whole hub off and check bearings and such.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Chulisohombre

Fixed itself. Lol. If it works let it go.