The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #76
Grumpy old man

Re: Trip to the auto parts store just isn't the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS454 View Post
Walk in O'Reilly's spot 17 year old female with gray T-shirt (figure she is trainee) standing near manager who knows me. He is talking to another so she breaks off and asks if she can help. I request tube of 3M windshield adhesive. She turns to manager and says help. He looks over and sees me - I ask if she is trainee (this is all with jovial attitude) he says yes. I look at her and tell her I want a carb kit for 54 Kaiser. She laughs and stammers. Manager goes back to other customer. I quiz her on her knowledge - it's very rudimentary. I ask if this is summer job or does she love cars. She says she loves cars and in particular Mustangs. I ask her who is Carroll Shelby. Uhhhhhhhhh. I point to my patina 68 and start to point out that I know every single part of the truck (parts from 7 different cars and trucks) she interrupts and says my truck is beautiful. So, she has some appreciation for older iron. That is a good sign. I tell her if she wants to learn and speak intelligently about cars and be good at being counterman then go home and consume every YT video and article on Mustangs and their inner workings since she loves them. I get my adhesive from the manager and tell her I will be back and there will be a quiz.
the adhesive is located on the aisle you should have been able to find it yourself ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #77
chevlady

It has happened to me,the parts counter person did not know what I wanted.I needed water pump gaskets for a small block Chevy and he did not know what they looked like.Luckily I know the manager very well and had the other counter person look them up,he found them.Another time was a fuel filter,coolant filter and oil filter for a Paccar diesel engine in a Kenworth semi truck.I about blew up and the manager saw this was going to happen.Once again,took care of it and had the other counter person found them.
chevlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #78
OBS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
the adhesive is located on the aisle you should have been able to find it yourself ?
You seem to know something about the stores I frequent in my area there Nostradamus. Is it going to rain here tomorrow? Will the Cowboys make it to the playoffs? The 2 stores I frequent both have had that particular item in the back on the last two times I have made that purchase. Have a nice day.
OBS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #79
special-K
Special Order

^^^ I find everything in your little story to be very much in line with something I would also do. If we don't take stock in the obvious newbie and make it fun learning while showing our positive support, then we have no one else ti blame for crappy counter help than ourselves. Not everyone is a born prodigy or had a dad with knowledge to share...or if he did never put effort into passing it along (I know many a-hoes like that). Youngin' who don't want to listen are one thing, ones that show an ounce of interest deserve pounds of knowledge and advice or we have failed.... Over

'67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi...'The 67' (project)
'72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok...'The 72'
Tim

"Don't call me a rough cut country gentleman. I'm just a redneck"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #80
OBS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
^^^ I find everything in your little story to be very much in line with something I would also do. If we don't take stock in the obvious newbie and make it fun learning while showing our positive support, then we have no one else ti blame for crappy counter help than ourselves. Not everyone is a born prodigy or had a dad with knowledge to share...or if he did never put effort into passing it along (I know many a-hoes like that). Youngin' who don't want to listen are one thing, ones that show an ounce of interest deserve pounds of knowledge and advice or we have failed.... Over
Muy sympatico. As written previously the mood was jovial and I have been motivating young people for a long time. I believe am skilled in this area and can do it in a positive way so I hopefully set a small fire that will be fanned each time I return. If a fool hates instruction then logically the opposite is true. Your reference to fatherly instruction was right on too.
OBS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #81
special-K
Special Order

I was at a swap meet last weekend. One of our good neighbor buddies there had his 8 year old son come up Friday evening for Saturday. I had already bought the magazine rack his dad had for sale and also had conversation with his dad about the things we do to teach kids to "earn" what they want.

So I had just these two Hot Wheels 5-packs with me and I made him a proposition. I asked if he'd like either one and he did like the one. I told him I wanted to make him a partner on these, I want $5 a piece which is a bottom line price. If he sells one he keeps the other. I also pointed out things to tell folks to help push the sale. The pack he wanted to sell was from '98, 20 years old, and in same condition as new. Anything over $5 was his to keep and we shook hands. Had to make him look me in the eyes on the shake. Well, the next day at some point he came running over to tell me he sold the 5-pack and handed me my five with a big ole grin. Later on I was over there and made a point of letting him know I was very pleased with how our deal worked, he did a great job, and because of that I'll be bringing more Hot Wheels I'd like him to sell, if he'd like. He was all about that and we shook hands again. This time he looked me in the eye. Such a good kid. If we want good ones, we need to make them that way. He has a good dad.

Tim

Old 04-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #82
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Had to make him look me in the eyes on the shake.
That's just shy, by the way, not deceptive or anything. In nature it'd be a challenge to authority, so it's hard for a little kid to look a grown man in the eye if they do not know them well yet.

My 10 year old was bugging me a couple of days ago for a way to earn extra cash and I had a grim data-entry job I needed done (look up names and emails from a web site and build a list of 100 of them in Excel) so I offered to pay him fifty cents for each entry he could do accurately. Over the course of two days he cranked out all 100, so he earned $50.

The only caveat is that initially he had typos in the emails and the names weren't properly capitalized, so I made him go back and fix them all just like a boss would, rather than just tussling his hair and accepting it like a Dad might!

Tangentially, I'm about sixth generation self-employed. They're obsessed with setting up their own little businesses selling anything from dandelions to lemonade. Must be some kind of "entrepreneur" gene I guess!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #83
special-K
Special Order

I know it was shyness and the fact I was a man he didn't know in a strange place full of strangers. I said what you quoted to illustrate the fact that I gave him the full "how to deal" lesson, along with everything else. He has a good dad and he really appreciated me taking stock in his son in a way much like he or the by's grandfather would. I also had the boy laughing and giggling a lot with humor appropriate for his age, yet somewhat adult in flavor.

Here are pictures from the fun work I did on Sunday after getting back. I just showed the others because I hadn't uploaded Sunday's progress. I'm building a kitchen counter top from old oak barn beam cut to 1" boards. 3pc wide and glued up. I filled all the "character" up with clear epoxy resin. It kept sucking it up, but Sunday's 3 applications got it done
Attached Images

Tim

Old 04-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #84
Steeveedee

Niiice! Is that white oak?

"Orange Acres"
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #85
special-K
Special Order

HEY! I just realized I've been posting the counter top fun in the wrong thread...WHOOPS!! Man, I'm rolling hard and fast lately. I guess I was tired last night when I goofed in the middle of the post. Now today was before my coffee. Sorry, I wish I could move it over to the right thread

Yes it is. The guy who dismantles, sells, and mills this stuff said it was a 250 year old building and they counted 250 rings in a beam. Not sure if my wood came from that beam (don't think so), but we're talking trees that were standing before Europeans did in this area. I've been treating it with a high level of respect, that's for sure. Plus, it wasn't cheap!

I know this wasn't last weekend, but a continuation and, as I said, I'm really enjoying this work. I started installing yesterday and will finish that, pour more resin in the inside corner joints (before installing two other sections), and make up/install the edge trim today. Need to get to the finish and get her sink working. Pour gal, I feel bad but she says it's all good...very excited. Unfortunately, I felt the need to build in place which meant rip the old out first, rather than measure up/build/tear out/install. It's an old out of square addition on an old farm house. I already figured that out in the room upstairs when I did a ceiling last winter.

Here's a progress shot during sanding. I had marked the last stubborn areas needing resin fill. I had it built up quite a bit in some spots. Each application flowed across as well as in the nooks & crannies
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-25-2018 at 07:05 AM.