The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
LBJ

Surplus Humvees for Sale

Lots of military surplus Humvees now for auction. There are so many, it's hard to take them all in (Gov Planet). Big problem is getting them street legal or no use having one, as far as I'm concerned. Wheeler Dealers had a show about buying one out of CA and did it up quite nice, but it was off-road only. I'm sure that show stimulated the market. Steel Soldiers has lots of threads on them, but certain discussions are banned, such as making them street legal and insurance concerns. These are selling for under $10K but there is an added 10 percent fee on top of that. Plus sales tax and transport costs. I've seen street legal Humvees sell for between $15K and $20K. There are a few of those around and may be the best way to go considering all the hoops you have to jump thru to make one street legal. Anyone bought one lately? Place down the road from me here in Texas is storing/shipping them for auction sales. They seem to be selling well. These are the older M998 versions. Newer M998A1's are for auction at other locations. Wouldn't mind having one, but I like to know the pitfalls before buying. Ex-military guys was they are nothing but trouble! haha. That might be the best advice/warning out there.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Surplus Humvees for Sale

Only issue I remember is if you get them stuck, you will break the front axle. I beat in the one I had pretty good for over 5 years and it never failed me. Steep grades up/down no problem.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
fear_nothing

There are sold with “SF97;” a form you can take to the DMV to get a regular title and license plates. Its a "your mileage may vary" situation as explained here:

http://www.hummersurplusparts.com/hm...-status-state/

Regardless... I still want one
fear_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
LBJ

Thanks for the updates, guys.

"Texas. Rejected multiple times by several rural DMV offices. Using SF97. They informed me that a notice was sent to all offices in Dec 2016 regarding ALL vehicles from IronPlanet."

The above was a recent post (Jan 15, 2017) off that last link. Looks like Texas may not be easy as other states. I also noticed that the GovPlanet dealer down the road from me does NOT have any titled Humvees as of 2017 on the lot. Last year he sold several and had them along the fenceline of his construction equipment lot, well apart from the butt-load of Humvees. I coulda bought one, street legal, for $14,500 or another for $15,500, plus sales tax, but didn't have the money right then. Both ran and he gave me a short drive around his lot in one. Pretty cool. Have to see if he gets any more to street legal status.

One thing that has me concerned is what liability insurance will cost. I don't know if a Humvee is good or bad in that respect.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote