The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
rayray767

Soft top

Looking to buy a soft top for my 1972 blazer I have a nice single wall or double wall top both with great hatches on them for trade or I can pay cash to you thru PayPal . I would prefer the side window removable top style . Not sure of the name of that style top...
Posted via Mobile Device
rayray767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: Soft top

Your best bet is to buy new. There is only one manufacturer now and finding used tops is few and far between. http://www.softopper.com/chevy-blaze...p-details.aspx
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
70-K5
Account Suspended

The softoppers do not have removable side windows, but the do roll up. This is a bonus for somebody like me who lives in Oregon and doesn't look to the West before leaving home for storm clouds.

Bestop made a top a few years ago but has been out of production for at least 8 years. They use the same snap pattern though as the softopper, softopper actually used a bestop equiped K5 as a template when developing their own design and it is better in just about every way.

Can-bak was the other manufacturer that had a soft top for the 1st Gen K5. They were the only one I know of that had removable side windows, that is probably what you're thinking of. I believe they also had an option for a roof rack, never saw one in person to confirm that for the blazers though.

If you're going to get a softopper get it now, they have been increasing in price over the last few years, apparently they know they have no competition... It is possible to find them on Craigslist but don't hold your breath.
70-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
rayray767

Thanks guys ... I was hoping to get one on trade but it don't look good... I heard from another member that the directions on the softopper wasn't so good. Also I was told that you could break you door windows if not careful opening your doors cause the soft top is in the way and you need to roll down the windows a bit to get out the truck.
What I would like to still know is when putting the top down on the softopper does your side windows get creased or damaged in any way?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
TexasJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-K5 View Post
The softoppers do not have removable side windows, but the do roll up. This is a bonus for somebody like me who lives in Oregon and doesn't look to the West before leaving home for storm clouds.

Bestop made a top a few years ago but has been out of production for at least 8 years. They use the same snap pattern though as the softopper, softopper actually used a bestop equiped K5 as a template when developing their own design and it is better in just about every way.

Can-bak was the other manufacturer that had a soft top for the 1st Gen K5. They were the only one I know of that had removable side windows, that is probably what you're thinking of. I believe they also had an option for a roof rack, never saw one in person to confirm that for the blazers though.

If you're going to get a softopper get it now, they have been increasing in price over the last few years, apparently they know they have no competition... It is possible to find them on Craigslist but don't hold your breath.

Good information. I have to order one myself. Very nice ride!
Posted via Mobile Device

71' Blazer CST
84' GMC Jimmy-SOLD
2008 Suburban LTZ
TexasJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Can-bak never actually produced a top - just rumors and there may have been a prototype. I have the STC (Specialty Top Co) FastTrac. It has the removable side windows. It came with bags to fold and store the windows in when running "safari" style. You can also fold the whole top down and it rolls up around the rear bow.

I also had a Kayline top on one of my previous Blazers. The side/back windows rolled up like 70-K5's photo. When Kayline went out of business, STC bought the patterns. The top I have was one of two versions they sold (roll up and zip out), They went out of business right around the same time Bestop stopped selling tops for first gen Blazers. Softtopper is the only current manufacturer.

If you hunt long and hard, you may find a used top. I've only seen a few for sale on the board in the 12 years I've been a board member.

I've had my soft top for about 11 years. The truck has been a daily driver off and on during that time (currently a daily). I've never had any issues with door glass breaking. It does leak a bit in heavy rain, but so does the hard top. There isn't any need to roll the windows down to open the doors.

You probably won't find anyone willing to trade a hard top for a soft top. I have the directions for the STC fasttrac and the Bestop. PM me with your email if you want me to send them to you.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
70-K5
Account Suspended

You're right, I was thinking FastTrac with the zip out windows.

I too have never had any issues with the windows breaking. The overlap is so slight I dont' see how you could break your windows, logic says you'd stop pushing long before any damage happened.

The top in the picture I did find on craigslist. It was posted for about an hour when I saw it. I called the guy, left work immediately and drove 2 1/2 hours to get it. While I was there he had another guy call and said somebody else called as I was on my way out. Stole it for $350... also found a bestop on craigslist that was pretty rough for $150, ended up selling it locally to a buddy for the same.

The windows will not crack for many many years, keep them clean and don't fold them up with they are dirty.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
docstheman

Anybody make a bikini top? Or you are just supposed to go to the boat shop?
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
70-K5
Account Suspended

Boat shop.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
TonyJohnson

Do a search. There was a bikini being made by someone on here. Can't remember... You can also use a Jeep Wrangler bikini with a little work.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
mrucereto

I contacted the guy from the following post earlier this week. He is in Wichita, KS and makes bikini tops. He said it was $180 plus $25 to ship. Takes about 30 days I think.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=238145

I haven't ordered one because I am trying to figure out how to get it mounted on the windshield. I do not want to put buttons across the top and the alternative is a bracket made by a company that is no longer in business. I'm trying to contact SOFTOPPER to see if I can just get their bracket and send it over to the guy in Wichita to fit his custom top to that bracket.
mrucereto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
docstheman

Awesome! Thanks! I think I will definitely need one.

Click Here for my Blazer Build: 1971 Blazer 4x4

Click Here for my Work Truck Build: 1970 C10 LWB

Toys: 1970 C10, 1971 Blazer 4x4, 1976 Corvette Stingray L82, 2011 Cadillac CTS 6 speed, 2008 VTX 1800F
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #13
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrucereto View Post
I haven't ordered one because I am trying to figure out how to get it mounted on the windshield. I do not want to put buttons across the top and the alternative is a bracket made by a company that is no longer in business. I'm trying to contact SOFTOPPER to see if I can just get their bracket and send it over to the guy in Wichita to fit his custom top to that bracket.
There was a board member making a piece that mounted to the windshield frame at the factory mounts.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
rsavage

Mine is a Softopper that is about 2 years old. I don't daily drive my Blazer. The interference with the window glass is not at the top but rather at the back of the window. The edge of the top wraps around a plastic piece on the "B" pillar top frame. I don't see it on 70 K5's top. It is a couple of inches wide. When your window is rolled all the way up, the overlap is substantial. It takes a great deal of pressure to open the door with the window up and it sure as heck isn't going to close and go behind it when you shut the door. Perhaps the older softoppers didn't have this inflexible rear "B" post section. If the window is up all the way and the door is opened or closed, great pressure is put on the upper front corner of the glass which is where it will crack. Poor design but it is the only game in town unless you had one custom made. When I drive the Blazer with the rear plastic windows rolled up which is pretty much all the time it is driven, I let them down when I return home and park it in the garage. It is my belief that leaving them rolled up would put some permanent creases and marks in them. The rear window completely removes because it has velcro securing the top and zippers on the sides.

Here is a picture of the plastic piece that the top wraps around:

Here is a photo of the overlap of the window on that plastic piece when the window is rolled up:

2021 Durango RT 5.7

Last edited by rsavage; 06-29-2013 at 07:43 AM.
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
rayray767

Hey I remembered what you told me about the softopper. Thought I would share it with everyone ...thanks for your comment and photo...
I still want to know if anyone here puts their softopper in the convertible position and how the side windows react to that position .
Anyone think that the softopper could be fabricated easy enough through a boat shop to make the side windows come out? I just like the stars at night and would hate to have a softopper if it couldn't be fabricated at all and my side windows getting beat to hell by putting the top up & down on it after spending the money on the top....That would suck !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
mrucereto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
There was a board member making a piece that mounted to the windshield frame at the factory mounts.
Anyone know or remember who was making this piece? Or maybe the person will read this? I'd really like to get this so I can mount it and get the bikini top. I got caught out in the rain yesterday (really light rain, not a big deal) even though the forecast called for 0% chance of precipitation!
mrucereto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
DugJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrucereto View Post
Anyone know or remember who was making this piece? Or maybe the person will read this? I'd really like to get this so I can mount it and get the bikini top. I got caught out in the rain yesterday (really light rain, not a big deal) even though the forecast called for 0% chance of precipitation!
I think this is the link to the referenced windshield frame mount:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402011
It would be great to find one pre-made.
Posted via Mobile Device
DugJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Also, this - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...soft+top+holes