The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
TchncnDen

In tank fuel pump: How to

Mods: I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move.

This is how I put an electric fuel pump in a blazer tank for use in my 71 pickup, but the method should work for just about anything with a gas tank.

For supplies you will need:
gas tank
fuel pump
4" vent cap from hardware store
3/8" threaded rod long enough to reach the bottom of tank plus a couple inches
5/16" and 3/8" steel fuel line
hose clamps
3/8" SUBMERSIBLE fuel line (regular fuel line will not work)
cork gasket material

The first thing I did was cut a hole big enough for my vent cap to fit through in the tank. I used a plasma cutter but I was working on a brand new tank. If you are using a tank that has ever had gas in it take the proper precautions before any cutting of any kind, blades make sparks too. I am not going to tell you how to prepare an old tank for cutting because I want no liability in this matter, look it up and be safe. I made my cut freehand so it looks kinda like I put a piece of cheese in the tank and had a rat gnaw the hole, if you have a big enough hole saw that would be better.

Next I used a piece of paper to trace the hole I just made and then drew a circle about 1" larger in diameter around that hole. Then I made marks for six holes big enough for #10 screws close to the inner circle. Put this template over the hole in the tank and use a center punch to mark the holes for the #10 screws and drill them out. The reason for putting them close to the edge is so you can tack them into place. My closeup pictures of this didn't turn out but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by TchncnDen; 11-24-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: forgot a part
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote