The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
Flint70step

Re: Project Patina Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
As soon as I saw the KDKB sticker on the glove box, I knew where it was from. Looks like the burb a friend had, but it was shiney back then.
If it was your friends that would be very cool!!I would love to learn more about its history.I have a temporary registration receipt with name Ronald Obrien, *** S. Valencia,Mesa Arizona.Let me know,thanks

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
1956cameo

Thats an awesome looking burb! Looking forward to seeing more.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #28
2002yanks

looking good. stepside also looks good. nice set you have there.
2002yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #29
sharpie1972
Account Suspended

Great looking burb! Good luck on the build! Sharpie
sharpie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #30
70truckguy

I have wanted to do the same build for a while now, looks like you got a great deal!
70truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
mcbassin
Still Learning

Love the burb and the stepper. Cool story how you persisted until you got to buy it. I did the same thing on my 67 years ago. I had it about 90% restored when my nephew pulled the same thing on me. Every day he would call or come by trying to buy it or trade for it. Just before he turned 16 I gave in and traded him for a 67 camaro (needs total restoration still). Pretty even trade in my mind but man do I miss that step side.
any chance you have a thread for your step side? BTW, I did a TBI swap using stock harness on my son's 86 (avatar pic). It was a pretty straight forward swap and he has driven it daily for almost a year.
Subscribed.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #32
Flint70step

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Love the burb and the stepper. Cool story how you persisted until you got to buy it. I did the same thing on my 67 years ago. I had it about 90% restored when my nephew pulled the same thing on me. Every day he would call or come by trying to buy it or trade for it. Just before he turned 16 I gave in and traded him for a 67 camaro (needs total restoration still). Pretty even trade in my mind but man do I miss that step side.
any chance you have a thread for your step side? BTW, I did a TBI swap using stock harness on my son's 86 (avatar pic). It was a pretty straight forward swap and he has driven it daily for almost a year.
Subscribed.
Thanks man,much appreciated.I will be doing a thread on my stepper soon.As soon as the Burb is on the road and I'm confident its going to be a reliable DD,I'm going to tear down the stepper and start a frame off resto mod.I have a 71 high nickle 4 bolt 350 that came outta a GMC van.Virgin block standard bore.but is now 30 over.Its built and waiting for me to finish paying it off at the machine shop.My neighbor does circle track racing and I got a forged steel crank,6.125(6 1/8) inch forged steel Childs and Albert rods and forged Mahle pistons that look like hockey pucks the skirt is so short.

My Dart Pro 1 215's are going on top of the new motor with a solid mechanical roller cam.I have a nice port matched,polished Victor JR and 650 Speed Demon carb to top it off.A 4 speed behind that and the Posi I got for it is gonna be a hand full to drive,but I bet its gonna be fun!!

We need to talk about the swap you did cause I'm about to buy a $400 harness from Howell.If you think you can help use my stock harness,That would save me some cash.Then I could get my 4/6 drop for the Burb.Any help would be great.Be good

Great patina

Last edited by Flint70step; 06-27-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #33
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint70step View Post
Thanks man,much appreciated.I will be doing a thread on my stepper soon.As soon as the Burb is on the road and I'm confident its be a reliable DD,I'm going to tear down the stepper and start a frame off resto mod.
We need to talk about the swap you did cause I'm about to buy a $400 harness from Howell.If you think you can help use my stock harness,That would save me some cash.Then I could get my 4/6 drop for the Burb.Any help would be great.Be good
That engine looks great and sounds like you are going all the way with quality parts. Gonna be putting some HP on the rear tires too

As far as the TBI harness goes......don't let me talk you out of the Howell. I have only read good stuff about that. I was only saying if I can do it anyone can. I only wish I would have taken more time and stripped all the unecessary circuits out mine. Its really pretty straight forward with a diagram.

HEREis the thread that has most of the info I used. It covers all kinds of issues and has the full list of pin outs for the harness.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #34
Flint70step

Last week we had a big storm roll thru and it soaked and softened some of the road gunk on engine crossmember.I pulled the front clip last weekend and done some other small stuff.So I got out the pressure washer and went to town on the frame rails and cross member.After that I was already soaking wet and filthy so I said"WTH" next thing i knew I was on my back under the Burb in the mud pressure washing the entire under carriage and frame!!!.I crawled on my belly like a snake and on my back like an otter washing from all angles and doing a good job as I sure didn't want to do it again.My efforts were rewarded with a nice clean under carriage and frame that are now miles ahead on paint prep.I'll try to get some pics after work.Shoulda taken some before pics too.Ah hindsight.....Yall be good

Great patina

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Last week we had a big storm roll thru and it soaked and softened some of the road gunk on engine crossmember.I pulled the front clip last weekend and done some other small stuff.So I got out the pressure washer and went to town on the frame rails and cross member.After that I was already soaking wet and filthy so I said"WTH" next thing i knew I was on my back under the Burb in the mud pressure washing the entire under carriage and frame!!!.I crawled on my belly like a snake and on my back like an otter washing from all angles and doing a good job as I sure didn't want to do it again.My efforts were rewarded with a nice clean under carriage and frame that are now miles ahead on paint prep.I'll try to get some pics after work.Shoulda taken some before pics too.Ah hindsight.....Yall be good
I did the same pressure washing maneuver a couple of weekends ago. What a difference!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
Flint70step

I just ordered the wiring harness I need to get the ball rollin on my Burb project.http://howellefi.com/tbi-harness-uni...95-trucks.htmlIts been a while since I have had anything good to post.I have a few loose ends to take care of and a lot of little things to do but I'm confident that I will have my Burb on the road by Aug 18,my B-day!.One cool update to add is that when I did the power washing,I found that the PO had the cross shafts for the upper control arms replaced.The bushings were new and the bushings on the A-arms are new as well.SCORE!!I'm going to get some paint this week and paint the frame and front cross member b4 putting the engine in.Yall stay tuned,more to come soon

Great patina

Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #37
Flint70step

I have got quite a bit of work done on the Burb in the last week or so.I put the boy to work with a wire brush on the frame rails and cross member.We blew everything off with my compressor and sprayed some rustolium satin black.I made sure to prep and paint everything that would be hard to get to when the motor is in.I plan on painting the rest of the frame in sections working my way back.

Then I replaced all the freeze plugs in the motor.A few were showing rust spots so I separated the trans and got the two plugs back there.

Next I cut the hole for the filler neck of the van tank.I used a 3/8 drill bit and made a big hole with a bunch of little holes.I drilled the holes close enough where I could push the bit side ways and cut the material b/n the holes.Not the prettiest end result but it gets the job done w/out an expensive hole saw.

I used the same method to make slots for the tank straps in the cross member behind the rear end.Then I secured the fuel lines to the frame making sure they were nice and tidy.After that I reinstalled the rear most cross member and used my step bit (very handy) to drill to large hole fore the J-hook tank strap bolts

Great patina

Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #38
Flint70step

Next I got out the wiring harness and read the installation manual a few times.Then I went out to the motor and stripped off the old stock harness and put on the new one.

Then it was time to pick up the motor and trans and put it in its new home.I found out the stock style 67=72 perches and motor wouldn't work with the manifolds from the van.My friend Steve made me an even trade for some 73-87? style mounts.They clear the exhaust manifolds nicely.Tomorrow I'm going to start getting all the loose ends tied up and hopefully I'll have the Burb on the road very soon.More to come,Let me know what yall think

Great patina

Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #39
67chevy1series

looks nice!!!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #40
Flint70step

her is a pic of the custom filler neck I made from some exhaust tubing.Its not very pretty but it'll get the job done.Also I've got the front clip back on and have been taking care of a lot of loose ends.Progress is the name of the game

Great patina

Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #41
Flint70step

ITS ALIVE!!!! I got all my wiring sorted and hooked up yesterday and this morning I put some fresh gas in and primed the fuel pump.Turned the key to crank and she fired right up!!.My exhaust is not hooked up yet and the Y pipe is loosely on so the O2 sensor is getting a crazy reading.Today Im going to tow the Burb over to my friends shop and do the exhaust if he lets me.Tomorrow I'll be taking the aluminum drive shaft to be cut down a bit and balanced.Then it will be ready for next week and I WILL BE DRIVING MY BURB!Its so exciting to hear the motor run after all that hard work and fabrication.There is a lot of work that I have not taken pics of but hope to cover in the build thread soon.More to come,Yall be good

Great patina

Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #42
mcbassin
Still Learning

Congratulations on getting the engine running! How did you like the Howell harness? quality as good as advertised?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #43
Flint70step

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Congratulations on getting the engine running! How did you like the Howell harness? quality as good as advertised?
Thanks bud,its nice to hit that big mile stone of getting the engine back to life.The Howell harness was a breeze to install and and once I got my confidence up enough was not a prob to tie in to the Burb harness.The tech staff at Howell were a big help and had a ton of patience.I just towed it to my buddies shop and am fixin to head over and get my exhaust hooked up.I need to section the passenger side leg of the Y pipe about 3 inches and swivel the driver to match.Then I can tie it into the rest of the exhaust system.I'll bring my camera and snap some pics of the process.Yall be good

Great patina

Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #44
VA72C10
VA72C10

congrats! Nice work!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #45
1sik7t2
dave

congrats man...been in those shoes before....my smile wouldn't come off with ACID...feels sooooo good to roll again...good for you man

Quote:
Thanks bud,its nice to hit that big mile stone of getting the engine back to life.The Howell harness was a breeze to install and and once I got my confidence up enough was not a prob to tie in to the Burb harness.The tech staff at Howell were a big help and had a ton of patience.I just towed it to my buddies shop and am fixin to head over and get my exhaust hooked up.I need to section the passenger side leg of the Y pipe about 3 inches and swivel the driver to match.Then I can tie it into the rest of the exhaust system.I'll bring my camera and snap some pics of the process.Yall be good
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #46
youngrodder

Nice work. I too used Howell for my wiring and to flash the computer for my LT1. I agree, about their tech service. Sometimes it pays to spend a little more money knowing that you are left hanging to figure it out on your own....

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #47
Flint70step

Working in the dirt again but at least my friend is letting me use his welder.

I had to take a 3 inch section outta the passenger leg of the Y-pipe to move the entire assembly over enough to get it inside the frame rails

Here is where I got the final fit of the down pipes back to the Y assembly.There was a lot of trimming and grinding and in and out from under the Burb to get the fit so good

Then on the existing 2 1/2 pipe I used a small section of 2 1/2 and slit it and placed it over the pipe to make a better fit for the 3 inch Y-pipe.

Then I finish welded the Y-pipes and used a 3 inch exhaust clamp to squeeze down on the collar I made to adapt the 3 inch to the 2 1/2.

And now the Y-pipe is happy at home inside the frame rails and tied into the existing system

Great patina

Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #48
Flint70step

Now that I have exhaust tied in I was able to start the motor and let it run for a bit.It now has a nasty backfire that wont seem to go away.The comp has to remap the fuel curve is what I've been told by a friend.Any help would be great.How long should the fuel curve remapping take?I hope the O2 sensor didn't get messed up.Looks like I have a few bugs to work out.....Fun Fun Fun

Great patina

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #49
mcbassin
Still Learning

I have heard a lot of good about Howell. I wonder how much they charge for an LS3 harness?

Nice work on the exhaust. Sorry to hear about the little bugs, I'm sure you will get that all worked out soon.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #50
trapperjack

Re-mapping....not sure. Last re-mapping I know of was the Louisianna purchase in 1800 and something. Cool looking truck though, can't wait to see it in action.
1968 Chevy 1/2 ton panel wagon, V8 and powerglide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=483345
1978 Ford F250, beater stepside
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door
2010 Chevy 4x4 plain jane work truck
trapperjack is offline   Reply With Quote