The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
47 Fasttoys

'47 Loadmaster COE (rebuild pictures)

OK so like many others all my pictures where blocked by Photobucket. So I will attempt to rebuild this thread one page at a time. This may take a while. I will also date the posts so some time frame can be seen.
Rob
9-13-2013
Hi to all, new to the forum and figured I'd start a build thread on my '47. It's a 1 1/2 ton COE (cab over engine). I picked this thing up in 2012 while on vacation in southern Colorado visiting my son. I had no extension on buying a new project, but after seeing it still sitting in the same place I saw it 2 years earlier I figured why not check it out. Well, as it turned out the guy who owned it had passed away 3 months prior and his widow and son in-law where happy enough to sell it. We started at $2400 for the whole truck but after checking on shipping ($2000+) I decided all I really wanted was the sheet metal. I explained this to them and offered $1000. They said "here's the title" and the next morning my son and I showed up at 7:00 with a U-Haul van and some new tools to get to work. 10 hours later, sun burned and worn out. It was loaded in the van. Mind you, we did this with hand tools and no lift. We actually slid the cab from the truck frame into the U-Haul on 2 old pieces of tubing we found laying around the yard.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
47 Fasttoys

Re: '47 Loadmaster COE (rebuild pictures)

9-13-2013
OK, so after a 16 hour solo drive back to South Carolina I had 1 day to unload it check it out a little, return the U-Haul and hop on a plane back to the small (9 million plus people) industrial city of Shenyang, China. I rearranged the shop enough to get it off the ground and stuff it in the corner awaiting my next vacation. Below are a couple of shots of what I'm starting with: a almost rust free, almost dent free, unmolested and complete "47 COE.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
47 Fasttoys

9-13-2013
Fast forward to April on this year. I got back to the states to find a few boxes of parts I had ordered awaiting in the shop. My brother-in looks after things for me while I'm away so no house maintenance issues to deal with and all the other cars where in good running order.First order of business was to build a cart for the cab make some working space. For this I needed to get some steel to the shop, what better a way to do this then put the other truck into service. I build the cart at the final ride height and angle. This was determined the red-neck way...will it fit into the shop?
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
47 Fasttoys

9-13-2013
Plans are a late model GM 1/2 ton (2000-2006) mid mounted LS/auto, pick style bed, front of engine under the seat with intake flipped backwards. Single rear wheels. Airbags only if needed to get it in the shop. Finished interior but nothing special on the exterior. This will be a daily driver and tow vehicle for other toys. Function over fashion. As far location, nope I'm still in China, I've got 1 more year left and then it's busy, busy on the truck. I get 1 or 2 trips home each year I'll be updating this thread with what I completed in April. April's trip was truck only and I think i got a lot done for 19 days, you be the judge.
47 Fasttoys
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
47 Fasttoys

Well Shannon, I just took a peek at page 1 of your build thread and I can see where I'll be spending a few hours very soon. A burb/panel is on the short list for future builds (don't tell the wife) hehe
Rob / 47 Fasttoys
Old 11-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
47 Fasttoys

9-14-2013
OK so I started stripping to the cab . Put my granddaughter to work (no child labor laws at my house), I can't remember ever being at a height where I could stand in the cab of a pick-up. At 5 years old she can't wait to be in the shop to help out. I hope it lasts forever. After removing all the trim pieces I realized I had zero screws strip oR rusted to bad to remove. In working on old junk for 30 years this is the first time that has happened. WOW this is a very good sign.
Stripped the firewall of parts and cut out the hump as I want a flat floor and don't need the recess. I welded in a connecting brace to keep the firewall in place while welding.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
47 Fasttoys

9-14-2013
By all means post away, worked on filling the remaining holes in the firewall and the frame work for kick panel and floor, installed floor plate. I will be going back and finishing the firewall later after remaining mods are complete. You can see the COE has other access doors under the seat. These where for air filter service and rear shifter hook up service. The battery was under another door the same as the pick-up but was removed as part of the main removable floor sections (3). The area under the floor may end up being the location for the gas tank, not sure. By the time you stick a radiator and electric in the front end there's not a whole lot of room in the engine bay.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
47 Fasttoys

9-14-2013
Well if you remember earlier I stated almost no rust. Well here it is in all its glory.This is after the patch, the front part didn't need any steel added but the rear part was a little thin so I had to add a small piece. The cab corners are all solid just full of dirt, it came out fine but what a mess. The 2X2 tubing you can see in the second photo is part of the body cart but will probably end up as part of the main body support structure, above it out of view is short sections of 2X2 with nuts welded on which the cab is bolted to. The vertical reinforcing beams (not sure what their called) rest on the lower 2X2. Originally the rear of the cab mounted on a center support, my engine will be in the way of this so I will need to come up with something similar to what the later models use.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
47 Fasttoys

9-14-2013
Thanks for the comments guys, I got to thinking why I wanted to build a COE....lets face it it's an odd looking bird. kind of like an afterthought GM had. The thinking may have went something like this: # 1 designer : Hey lets make a heavy duty truck shorter but still have the load rating of a normal size. # 2 OK , sounds good, but we need to use a much of the standard parts as possible. # 3 Great, now all we need to do is jack up the cab about a foot, stuff the engine under it, shove the hood back a couple of feet and BINGO. What they failed to mention was OK, it's gonna give you a nose bleed just climbing up into the cab, its got the aerodynamic efficiency of a small building and you now will have a big heat generator is under your butt so put on 3 pair of undies so you don't cook the family jewels. Yep, it all sounds just like my kind of project.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
47 Fasttoys

9-15-2013
OK so with most of the floor complete I decided to spend a little some more time on filling more holes.
I just patched the ones for the old mirror mounts for now, If later I decide on showy paint I'll go back and redo them. The dash was another story, it had an extra hole above the headlight switch. There was a push button in that location but I'm not sure what it was for. I cut a little tab, shaped it and welded it in place. It came out fine and a little filler primer should finish the job.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
47 Fasttoys

9-16-2013
Decided to clamp things together to get a visual of where I'm at as far as ground clearance on the running boards etc..you can see from the first 2 picks I should be OK for fender clearance as long as I don't do any off roading. For the last picture this is my basic engine space. An LS engine with the Vette or F body intake and oil pan measures about 28 inches, if I go 3 inches up on the back of the cab I can maintain around 6 inches ground clearance. If I flip the intake backwards and run the low mount alternator I can push about half the engine behind and under the seat. I will of course have to make an access panel for front engine maintenance. My thinking is with a newer model drive train once I work out the normal start up bugs I will not be spending a lot of time working on the engine. I have EFI in both my other rides ('46 1/2 ton and '65 FFR Cobra) and they are almost maintenance free. The more I can move the engine to the front the better. I want to avoid a 10 foot bed. 7 foot or 8 foot would be fine. I plan on doing some towing with this thing and maybe a 5th wheel. The engine location and options are still in the planning phases. As a matter fact the whole chassis is still in the planning phase.
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #12
47 Fasttoys

9-16-2013
I've got a couple of questions if any of you guys own a 2000-2006 GM 1/2 ton. I have read they have R&P steering? This being the case is it front steer? Is there any reason why, with some modifications to the mount, the rack couldn't be rotated upwards so the COE steering could be connected? I don't have one to look at in my present location. Ant pictures would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Rob
9-16-2013
You are correct Shannon, everything I've read on the COE builds says the same thing. Steering always seems to be a challenge. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the late model a R&P unit, it may make it easier in this area. Of course there's the other reasons: LS/4L60E, Disc brakes, cable shifter and drive by wire. The latter 2 will help a lot with a mid-engine set up. Is this side winder unit you speak of some kind of a rack or a traditional style gearbox?
Rob
Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
47 Fasttoys

9-18-2013
Thank's for the link. Started working on the passenger door. Most of the parts are in good shape except the window crank gears. I ordered new rollers, crank handles, a gear set, arm rests, panel/SS trim, outside handles, seals, tinted glass, glass seals, wipers. Door bottoms are solid with only minor surface rust. Both doors have the lower hinge area pushed in, it looks like at one time they used a block of wood to attempt to adjust the door alignment. I as able to fix this for the most part. Not perfect by any means but it will do.
Attached Images

Last edited by 47 Fasttoys; 11-09-2017 at 02:18 PM.
47 Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #14
47 Fasttoys

9-18-2013
Stripped the inside of the cab and started painting. The dash turned out like crap the first go around, I did not allow enough flash time between coats, sanded it back down and resprayed it, got it right the second time. Keep in mind this is being built as a daily driver and work truck. I want it to be clean and dry on the inside but not a show truck. I will be spending the money on the drive train and mods to make it serviceable.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
47 Fasttoys

9-20-2013
More work on the interior, got the insulation on the roof and installed the headliner, started the trim work.
Installed the sun visors, dome light, rear glass and some of the weather stripping.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
47 Fasttoys

9-20-2013
Thanks guys, on to the door again. Got the glass and window channel in, still need to paint the inside molding. Red or black? I think I'm gonna regret going with stock door latches. I have only redone 1 door at this time so I may regroup and put in the bear claw while it's still semi apart.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #17
47 Fasttoys

9-21-2013
So far all my interior pieces have come from Classicparts.com, prices are fair and quality has been good for the most part. For the sun visors and mounts they are the same as the regular pick-up, as a matter of fact..the whole cab is the same only the lower part of the doors and the flooring was changed for the COE, and of course everything forward of the fire wall. The paint is Red Krylon in a can.
Oh, one more thing if you need a windshield and you have the 2 piece style, order 1 and not 2. I now have an extra windshield.
Rob
Got most of the dash put together, still lack gauges. Rebuilt both the upper and side vents and added new seals. Windshields are in and wipers are finished.
Just a note on the seals for the vents, the molded rubber seals are a bit hard and the springs holding the vents closed are not up to the task. I may end up changing to the foam style later.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #18
47 Fasttoys

9-26-2013
Thanks all for the compliments,

All right last update for a bit. These are the final things I got completed on my last home trip. All previous shots where completed in 19 days while on vacation, actually it made for a good stress releasing vacation as living and working in Shenyang China can be a chore at times. Anyway still planning on next trips work.
OK, so got as far as I could on the interior, spray bombed the firewall and stuffed it all back in the corner.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #19
47 Fasttoys

11-8-2013
OK, just so my project doesn't fall into complete never never land. I have made some minor progress. I bought a donor: 2003 Silverado ext. cab, 4.8/auto. 146XXX miles. Actually it's a really good truck with no damage and runs good. I think I can make at least 1/2 my money (5K for the truck) back on parts after I get what I need.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #20
47 Fasttoys

11-18-2013
Yep, plans are to use the chassis complete, but move the engine and tranny back a couple of feet to make it a mid-engine. I will try to use as much of the donor parts as I can and sell off the body, interior, bumpers etc. It has the dirve by wire throttle and cable shifted tranny so those things will help for going to mid-engine. It also has R&P steering which should make steering hook up a little easier. Right now it's just planning and stocking up on parts as I'm working in China until late next year.
Rob
Yes, a move to China is not something to be taken lightly, luckily my wife was able to join me and has found a job teaching at an international school. I have been here 2 1/2 years now and have about 1 year left. I do get 1 or 2 home trips per year so it's doable. On the plus side the money is great.
Now back to the important stuff, no I haven't found details on anyone using this chassis but the track is right and a few other details of the donor seem to fit well into the final goal of the truck. As far as the engine setback, the goal is the front of the engine under the rear of the cab with the intake flipped 180 degrees so the TB will be at tranny side. This should allow the front of the intake to sit behind the seat. I will fab up a low mount alternator set up so everything forward of the valve covers will be under the seat. This should leave me with a drive shaft around 20 to 24 inches. That sounds short until you see my FFR Cobra drive shaft, it's 8 inches center to center of of the "U" joints. Anyway, I've got lots of details worked out on paper and have used a tape measure once or twice. I've also done a few EFI swaps and some chassis stuff in the past. If there a major roadblock to this project I haven't found it yet.
Rob
Old 11-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
47 Fasttoys

1-26-2014
Yeah, it's nicer then anything I've ever had for a DD also, the '46 in the background is my daily, has been for 10 years now, so I am a firm believer that these things can be built as everyday transportation. I've also got a FFR Cobra for track days and nice weather days. The COE will fit into the mix and double as a tow vehicle for a yet to be had camper. My wife has the Mini Cooper but really likes the old stuff so I get a lot of leeway when playing with the car hobby.
Rob
______
Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #22
47 Fasttoys

1-30-2014
You are correct, pretty much everything behind the the fire wall, above the floor and above the lower part of the doors is the same. As a matter, of fact you could take a standard cab door and with a bit of work on the lower section turn it into a COE door. All the inside stuff on the doors is the same. For the grill area I think the grill is he same as the ones used on the 1 1/2 and up standard cabs. Lucky for me, all my body parts are in very good shape with only minor dents. I've looked at your build and it looks like a cool project. Any updates?
Rob
3-11-2014
Hi all,
OK, so this April's plan is set. I've got 2 weeks home and 1 week of that is truck stuff only. Although most does not involve direct truck work it all needs to be done to support the truck.
Step 1: buy and install a 2 post lift (not the the ideal install in a 8 foot garage, but it can be done).
Step 2: remove bed and front clip from donor (put that lift to work right away). Step 3: build cart for cab of donor.
Step 4: remove cab, install on cart.
Step 5 and 6 are dependent on time but include:
Step 5. build cart for engine and trans at installed height and angle (living access for mounting cross members),
Step 6. set chassis at final ride height and start modifying rear of cab for engine placement. '47 cab is already on a cart at final ride height and angle.
All body parts are in great condition and will be for sale as they are removed.
Sound like enough to do in a week?
Rob
Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #23
47 Fasttoys

5-4-2014
I'm back. The home trip was a success, I ended up getting 12 days of solid shop time in. I made a lot of progress, completed the list and then some. I will start uploading updates and pictures tonight after work. I can say this: A lift in the shop is worth every penny and the late model chassis is the best I have ever seen as far as fit and and location of major components and steering hook-up. All this will be shown in daily updates (12) starting tonight. It looks like a lot of you guys have made a lot of progress in the last 2 weeks and I have a lot of reading to catch up on (no internet at home).
Rob
Old 11-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #24
47 Fasttoys

5-5-2014
Lift day: I thought I would include some info on the lift as I installed it on the first day home and it has been of major help. I bought a Derek Weaver 2 post 9K lift. I installed this in my shop which only has 8' ceilings. This went very well with only 1 minor modification to the roof, I cut out a small section to allow the post to go closer to the wall (4/12 pitch). The beams are heavy but using the engine hoist made it manageable. I then tested the lift with some other toys and made some minor adjustments. Doing it myself it took about 12 hours. The hardest part was drilling the 12, 5 inch deep lag bolt holes with a 1/2" hammer drill. My palms where sore for 2 days. Of course with only 8' ceilings I am limited on how high I can lift stuff, but It should work out well for most of the COE build and I do intend on raising the roof another 6' in the future. The little teardrop is homemade and is used to haul track tires and gear behind the Cobra.

Lost files for pictures on this.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #25
47 Fasttoys

5-5-2014
OK, so most of this is tear down of the donor but we do get to the '47 so standby. I started by removing the bed, I also had to build a rolling cart for it as it will stay in the shop until I sell it later.
Attached Images