The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
andsonsvd

Recessed Booster

Hi,
While looking through the awesome build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=437071 I got to thinking about recessing the booster like they did as it is so much cleaner, any thoughts as to why I cant/shouldn't do this? Also is there a reason to use a firewall mounted booster over a chassis mounted unit?

Thanks Shane

1937 Chev Rod - LS1/4L60E
1949 Chevy 4400 Dually - 235ci/4L60E
1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside SBC/T400
andsonsvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: Recessed Booster

Prefence and looks, I went with firewall mount to keep it simple for two reason, first reason with brake booster and master cylinder under cab, it pushes the fill cap further back towards the rear of frame and if your are not using a remote filler it locates the fill door towards rear a pain in the butt to fill. Second I didn't want to keep lifting carpet to fill resevior and I am to dang old to be crawling under truck if I have a brake problem. Remember if you recess the booster it pushes pedal assembly inside the cab more, these trucks even with fuel tank moved to another there isn't a whole lot of room something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonsvd View Post
Hi,
While looking through the awesome build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=437071 I got to thinking about recessing the booster like they did as it is so much cleaner, any thoughts as to why I cant/shouldn't do this? Also is there a reason to use a firewall mounted booster over a chassis mounted unit?

Thanks Shane
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
andsonsvd

Rude Dude,

Thanks for your reply. Leg room is a huge concern to me as im 6ft7 and that was one thing I was concerned about, this is for my "cheap truck" anyway so looks are not the main concern just an Idea, after reading that thread I got lots of idea's!!.

Thanks Again, Shane

1937 Chev Rod - LS1/4L60E
1949 Chevy 4400 Dually - 235ci/4L60E
1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside SBC/T400
andsonsvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Chevette

I would recommend putting the brake booster on the firewall. Brake fluid gets warm enough just from braking, add to that the headers in close to the master cylinder and it gets even hotter. That along with the two items RudeDude mentioned and it's good reason to to firewall mount the system. Also, if you mount the m/c under the floor, it is likely going to be lower that your brake cylinders which will require a residual valve. I used to have my system under the floor and it worked ok, but I prefer it on the firewall where I have it now. RudeDude makes a good point that recessing it booster may have your knee resting on your chin. I hadn't thought of that. I better go out to the shop and check my ergonomics.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
mr48chev

On the firewall works good if you can put up with an ugly booster and master cylinder hanging over your detailed out engine.

With a Frame swap and most subframe swaps you aren't left with a choice but have to put it up on the firewall. Then you have to do your best to not only make it work good but look presentable. With a stock frame with I beam or MII style crossmember I'd want to and will go with the master cylinder and booster mounted on the frame. I just don't want that ugly thing hanging over my engine that I have spent a lot of time and money getting just right and taking away from the otherwise clean look of the engine compartment. That is why they probably spent 40 hours doing the firewall on the truck in the other thread and recessed the master cylinder. To clean up the firewall and blend things in rather than have them hang out and dominate the engine compartment.

All that said, I've run them both ways on the 48 and the holes for the booster are still behind the aluminum plate that is on the firewall now. I did it because that was what I had at the time when I subframed the truck and drove it a lot of miles that way but never liked the clutter of it when I opened the hood. I don't really buy the heat from the exhaust thing because it is too easy to fab a heat shield if heat might be a bigger issue under the truck than right over the exhaust in the engine compartment. My guess is that running down the road with it over the headers in a closed engine compartment is hotter than having it below the truck a few inches from the exhaust with air passing by and between them.

It still comes down to how you want it to look, how you want it to work and how much extra or lack of effort you want to deal with when you check/fill the master cylinder.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
_Ogre

I run an 03 mustang cobra hydroboost with remote reservoir.
Works well looks good keeps the firewall clean.

Posted via Mobile Device

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
mr48chev

I like the looks of that Ogre. I also really like the feel of power brakes with Hydroboost.

What are you running for a pump?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
_Ogre

Standard gm pump, works great for brakes, little too much pressure for the mustang rack.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
mr48chev

Thanks. I'll have to start hunting for pieces. I've got plenty of pumps but will have to gather the other parts and need a power steering pump bracket for a 292.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
With a Frame swap and most subframe swaps you aren't left with a choice but have to put it up on the firewall. Then you have to do your best to not only make it work good but look presentable.
Every subframe I've done I left the brakes under the cab. Just letting people know it can be done.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Kim57

I'm putting mine on the frame under the bed.
Kim
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

WARNING, dumb question coming: HOw does hydro boost work? My cam doesn't let me develop enough vacuum to use a booster so I've got to consider it, IF it's cheap enough to do. SInce I won't have PS on a straight axle in the short term, how can I make it work? Parts needed, etc?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
WARNING, dumb question coming: HOw does hydro boost work? My cam doesn't let me develop enough vacuum to use a booster so I've got to consider it, IF it's cheap enough to do. SInce I won't have PS on a straight axle in the short term, how can I make it work? Parts needed, etc?
It works off of hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump.
You would need to add one to make it work plus the unit and master cylinder along with the lines.
You wouldn't need to add power steering though.
Most parts can be had at a salvage yard.
I got mine from an 2005 Chevy truck. Some guys get them from Astro vans and mustangs. They are pretty universal.
Kim
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim. Doesn't the PS pump put out more pressure than the MC booster needs? I'd imagine you've gotta use SOMETHING(?) to reduce the pressure to what you want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks Kim. Doesn't the PS pump put out more pressure than the MC booster needs? I'd imagine you've gotta use SOMETHING(?) to reduce the pressure to what you want.
Posted via Mobile Device
On mine there is a high pressure feed line and two return lines. Everything should be regulated inside the unit.
Kim
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
_Ogre

the pressure line feeds the hydroboost first and then goes to the rack
there is also a return line from the hydro, i don't see where t-ing both lines into the return would hurt anything.

if you want a remote reservoir, start with a mc that can adapt to a remote reservoir
most oem mc's will not adapt, but lots of aftermarket mc's available with remote reservoirs
i got lucky, didn't think i'd need a remote fill, used the 03 f*rd hydroboost and then added a remote reservoir
i found a factory five forum where they were talking about using the remote reservoir off a nissan quest
the nissan quest has the same size mc fittings as the 03 cobra mc