The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
bill_utterback

Warn Lock O Matic Hub Removal

I recently bought a 1969 K1500. It was my grandfather's truck. It's a great truck but it's been off the road for about 20 years.

I was wanting to take the front drums off to check the brakes and wheel cylinders. My grandfather put Warn Lock-O-Matic hubs on the truck in 1978. The problem I have is part of the changes for the hubs involved removing the factory spindle nut. It's been replaced with something that has three tiny little allen head srews, and no notches for a typical spindle nut to grab onto.

I think to get it off I need a spanner tool or pin wrench, but I have yet to find something. Does anyone know of the tool I need, or do I just need to fabricate something, or use something all together different? Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images

bill_utterback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Warn Lock O Matic Hub Removal

As I recall, loosen those three small allen screws. Then rotate the threaded collar counterclockwise by hand to remove it. If it's too tight to rotate by hand, insert a screwdriver tip into one of the holes and tap on in to break the collar loose. Shouldn't take much. There's a multi-slotted tabbed washer behind the collar, and those allen screws extend into the slots to prevent the collar from backing off.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
bill_utterback

Thanks for the reply Stocker. I'll give it a try. Really appreciate your help. It's been sitting for so long, I'm just trying to do everything possible to educate myself.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
bill_utterback

Tapping the holes with a punch did the job perfectly. You were correct, it didn't take much. Thanks for the tip!