The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #76
mrhino
Account Suspended

Re: Silver Dollar

With all the good things Iv heard about Southern Polyurethane, I gave them a call, and talked to Andy. I got all my primers and clear from them. I got gallon of Epoxy Primmer, 1 gallon k2 urethane primer, gallon and a half clear, plus all the hardeners for the right temp. My local paint supply is where I got 6 qts House Of Color Orion Silver and Galaxy gray (3 of each) and a gallon of Slick Sand Polyester primmer (not shown)

mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #77
mrhino
Account Suspended

I started putting everything into bare metal. using a d/a on all the flat surfaces, Hand sanding and blasting everything else.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #78
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

It's looking great, keep up the good work!

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #79
Twisted Elegance

What brand/make caliper brackets are these? awesome build, I am very jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
cleaned up the 12 bolt, added rear caliper brackets, slid it under the frame and mounted it up with a set of Porterbuilt rear 3" drop trailing arms, Classic Performance adjustable rear panhard bar, 3" drop springs and Bolt in C notch.

Last edited by Twisted Elegance; 11-15-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Twisted Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #80
mrhino
Account Suspended

Thanks, I got the brackets from a guy on ebay, here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C-CHE...s#ht_729wt_938

This is the second set I bought from him. they fit good and are about 3/8 thick. they are a nice clean install.

they use a cadillac caliper if you want E-brake, if you dont you can use 3rd Gen Camaro front calipers and Pads. It depends if you want 5x5 lugs or 5x 4 3/4 lugs on which rotor to use.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #81
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

did you go with the 5x5 e brake setup and how exactly does the e brake setup work? I may do this myself, looks good and probably close to the same as replacing my rear drum setup for new parts
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #82
mrhino
Account Suspended

I went with the 5x5 bolt pattern, and I did not use a E-brake. so the calipers I used were from a 87 Camaro about $12 each plus cores. It would be cheaper to keep the drum set up.
Cause by the time you get brackets, rotors, pads, and calipers plus cores (if you dont have any). And if you dont have a five lug axle, you have to add the cost of axles in as well. It can add up quick. BTW it still would be cheaper than getting one of the "kits" the Parts places sell. I think I have about $800 in my whole brake system, front and rear, including Drop spindles, New Moser Axles, 4 wheel disc M/C and proportioning valve booster, bearings seals you name it everything. It pays to piece this stuff together vs, buying a "Complete kit"

I think the e-brake caliper is about $50. here is a pic of what a ebrake caliper looks like, I think the stock brake cable will work with these calipers, but im not sure.

Last edited by mrhino; 11-15-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #83
67C10BUB

What did you do on the front? Did you go with the 73-87 setup, or stick with original? Where did you get the drop spindles?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #84
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10BUB View Post
What did you do on the front? Did you go with the 73-87 setup, or stick with original? Where did you get the drop spindles?
The spindles came from CCP I used the 73-87 setup.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #85
mrhino
Account Suspended

I welded all the emblem holes in the hood and fenders, did the same to all the upper & lower trim holes. Then grounded ground them flat.

And then sprayed my first coat of epoxy primer.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #86
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks awesome!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #87
mcbassin
Still Learning

This is an awesome project! Truly amazing how fast you're rolling on it! Seems your build thread is inspiring you
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #88
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
This is an awesome project! Truly amazing how fast you're rolling on it! Seems your build thread is inspiring you
Everything that iv posted so far has been done already. I started with the bare sandblasted frame on Jan 1st and busted my hump till about Sept thats when I ran out of gas. I did all this the body work this summer. I was laid off from my job this last July so Iv had plenty of time to put into it. Unfortuanaty where I live Elkhart, IN at one point had the highest unemployment rate in the whole country! The President has been here a few times, even spoke at my High school, and now things are getting better. were not #1 anymore but still in the top ten. Because of this I must sell the truck when I get it finished, I was probably going to anyway but now its necessary. Anyway! Yes the build thread has motivated me again, I would like to have it finish, when the truck is finished.

Thanks again for everybody encouraging words
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #89
mrhino
Account Suspended

After the epoxy primmer was dry I started on adding filler (Rage exstream) and then sanding to making her straight.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #90
mrhino
Account Suspended

Once all the Sanding was done (so I thought) I shot a couple coats of Polyester Primer to fill in any small imperfections

About this time I had takin the Hood out in the drive to check it out in the sun. had it leaning against the house checking it out, when my daughter flew off her bike. I ran over to pick her up. I looked back just it time to watch the hood fall (in slow motion) flat on its face on the concrete. I was so Pissed, both of my kids and my wife picked up the hood sat it back down on the saw horses never said a word and went in to the house. I didnt work on it for three days after that. it was perfect too. so I had to redo it. Its still not as good as it was, but I dont think most people will notice it.

Last edited by mrhino; 11-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #91
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

that's my kindof luck for sure, the slow helpless fall, too bad, but it looks great, can't wait to see some more paint
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #92
67cheby
67cheby

sure looking good
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #93
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
About this time I had takin the Hood out in the drive to check it out in the sun. had it leaning against the house checking it out, when my daughter flew off her bike. I ran over to pick her up. I looked back just it time to watch the hood fall (in slow motion) flat on its face on the concrete. I was so Pissed, both of my kids and my wife picked up the hood sat it back down on the saw horses never said a word and went in to the house. I didnt work on it for three days after that. it was perfect too. so I had to redo it. Its still not as good as it was, but I dont think most people will notice it.
Been there done that I know how this feels exactly.
Usually, I'm the one that knocks the hood off the saw horse though.
And I'm definetly the one who knocked a whole gallon of high $$ paint off the work bench on to the floor with the air hose.....murphy law I guess.

Sorry to hear about you having to sell the project after putting all that work into it. Hope you get a great paying job before that day comes. Looks to me you have plenty of skills if you decide to go that route. Good luck
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #94

I'm in the same club. Had an absolute flawless 67 'front clip' standing upright on a pallet when a gust of wind blew it over smashing the hood. For 40+ years it remained dent free, then I get it for 2 hours and........
I feel your pain!
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #95
mrhino
Account Suspended

With the hood fixed, and all the sanding of the polyester primmer done. It seamed (pun intended) like a good time to add the seam sealer. I used 3m Ultrapro seam sealer.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #96
mrhino
Account Suspended

Sprayed Urethane or K2 primer and then sanded that with 600 wet. By now you tell by the look on my face, that I am damn tired of sanding. But the next step is the big payoff. Color. Woo-whoo!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #97
67cheby
67cheby

looks smoooth
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #98
eagleuh1

Looking good. Thats a lot of hard work to have to sell it. Like said before, Hopefully good job will come along and ssave the day.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #99
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Been there done that I know how this feels exactly.
Usually, I'm the one that knocks the hood off the saw horse though.
And I'm definetly the one who knocked a whole gallon of high $$ paint off the work bench on to the floor with the air hose.....murphy law I guess.

Sorry to hear about you having to sell the project after putting all that work into it. Hope you get a great paying job before that day comes. Looks to me you have plenty of skills if you decide to go that route. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Looking good. Thats a lot of hard work to have to sell it. Like said before, Hopefully good job will come along and ssave the day.
Its alright, I was planning on selling it eventually anyway. to me they are like Model cars and trucks once you get one done you starting looking for the next one to start. This one is special though, Iv learned so much on this one. It is the first one Iv done almost everything myself, the only things I didnt do were, cut and balance the driveshaft, upholster the ultra leather bench seat, cut the foam for it. and program the PCM. It was my first attempt and retrofitting in a newer modern power plant, and the massive undertaking of Body work and paint. Im proud of how it is coming out. But I know when its gone it means I can start on a new one.

I would love to have my own resto shop. maybe someday, but in the meantime, I have a few leads for work and everything should work out.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #100
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Its alright, I was planning on selling it eventually anyway. to me they are like Model cars and trucks once you get one done you starting looking for the next one to start.
Im proud of how it is coming out. But I know when its gone it means I can start on a new one.

I would love to have my own resto shop. maybe someday, but in the meantime, I have a few leads for work and everything should work out.
I feel the same way... I really need to keep one of these things some time to use around the house and for my family to borrow

But as soon as they're done or at least driving reliably I want to sell them too. My fun is in fixing them and maybe showing them once or twice. After that it's std maintenance and polishing which I don't enjoy. I'd rather tear a truck apart and put it back together than polish up the engine bay