The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
AirSpeed

What info needed to buy new hubs?

I am looking for new hubs for my 72 GMC 4X4, do all 1/2 ton front axles use the same hubs? My present hubs have the plastic knob and they are ugly. I really like the look of Mile Marker hubs, are they as good as any other brand?
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: What info needed to buy new hubs?

Milemarkers are all right hubs. The problem I had with them is they are almost a full turn to lock them in and often require poking your fingers in the front spindle to spin the axle shaft a tad to get them to fully lock or unlock. Last round I went with Superwinch hubs and have been very happy with them. They are ¼ turn hubs and cheap too! $65 at Checker/O’Reilly’s and they are a normal stocking item on the shelf at any store right now tonight. Summit Racing, 4-Wheel Part and everybody else want like $85 to $90 for the same exact hubs.

These will fit a small hub D44. PN 400518
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Milemarkers are all right hubs. The problem I had with them is they are almost a full turn to lock them in and often require poking your fingers in the front spindle to spin the axle shaft a tad to get them to fully lock or unlock. Last round I went with Superwinch hubs and have been very happy with them. They are ¼ turn hubs and cheap too! $65 at Checker/O’Reilly’s and they are a normal stocking item on the shelf at any store right now tonight. Summit Racing, 4-Wheel Part and everybody else want like $85 to $90 for the same exact hubs.

These will fit a small hub D44. PN 400518
So I need to identify what axle I have specifically? they arent interchangeable with all GM 1/2 ton axles?
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
DirtyLarry

Those particular hubs fit everything with a Dana 44, except the old big hub Dana 44's. These would fit your '72 1/2 ton. I bet Checker is still open tonight in CA!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
AirSpeed

Quote:
Those particular hubs fit everything with a Dana 44, except the old big hub Dana 44's. These would fit your '72 1/2 ton. I bet Checker is still open tonight in CA!
Thanks again! I won't be running down to pick some up, it's a 200 mile round trip for me! I'll let UPS bring them to me, save some gas!
Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
DirtyLarry

Okay, now that I told you have great Superwinch hubs are there is one downside to them. They are a MOFO to remove after you once install them. They have very aggressive counter sunk bolts that hold them on. Once you put them on, they won’t come loose….even when you want them too. If you ever need to get them off you must beat on the hub and beat on the hub some more with a dead blow hammer to get the bolts to crack loose. I learned this the hard way not long ago after stripping the torx head bolt trying to get them off. Never had that problem with Milemarker’s but I did have Milemarker’s work their way loose and try to escape the front axle by themselves on more than one occasion. At least Superwinch hubs lock and unlock easy and won’t fall off the truck by themselves!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
AirSpeed

Quote:
Okay, now that I told you have great Superwinch hubs are there is one downside to them. They are a MOFO to remove after you once install them. They have very aggressive counter sunk bolts that hold them on. Once you put them on, they won’t come loose….even when you want them too. If you ever need to get them off you must beat on the hub and beat on the hub some more with a dead blow hammer to get the bolts to crack loose. I learned this the hard way not long ago after stripping the torx head bolt trying to get them off. Never had that problem with Milemarker’s but I did have Milemarker’s work their way loose and try to escape the front axle by themselves on more than one occasion. At least Superwinch hubs lock and unlock easy and won’t fall off the truck by themselves!
thats good to know! One more question, how difficult a job is it? will I need any special tools? Is it a simple remove and replace type job? Im guessing it's no more difficult than changing a tire, is that a wise assumption?
Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
thats good to know! One more question, how difficult a job is it? will I need any special tools? Is it a simple remove and replace type job? Im guessing it's no more difficult than changing a tire, is that a wise assumption?
Thanks again!
Yeah, it is a simple job. Just follow the instructions that come with the new hubs. You will need a Torx bit set, Allen wrenches, Snap ring pliers and a small screw driver or pick set to help remove the old large ring that holds in the existing hub. Prolly be a good time to repack the front wheel bearings if you are up for that job.