The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
1969burb

correcting pinion angle after lowering rear

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have lowered the rear of my burb 5 1/2 inches in the back. (4 inch lowered springs and 1 1/2 blocks.) (1/2 ton with trailing arms) I have a vibration at 35-45 mph that wasn't there before and I assume it is a pinion angle problem. I know this can be corrected with shims, but how do I determine how many degrees I need to correct it?
1969burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: correcting pinion angle after lowering rear

Instead of trying to calculate the amount of angle correction, it might be better to measure the angle of your transmission output, and the angle of your rear axle input to see how far off they are from each other. You could either have a driveshaft shop measure the angles for you, or you could buy one of those cheap level angle measurement tools from a place like Sears or Home Depot and measure it yourself.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
taylorde
Just A Tool Hand

I know that when I bought my crossmember from cpp it was ajusted already for a 4" drop in the rear. the trailing arms were moved from the bottom to the top

Last edited by taylorde; 04-23-2006 at 10:03 PM.
taylorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
1969burb

I will go ahead and measure mine, anyone else had these vibration issues? what degree shims did you use to correct it?
1969burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
shifty
Questionable

i lowered my '03 GMC Sierra and I had to use these little pinion shims from Sir Michael's. they were 2º of adjustment in the angle per kit, one shim per side. i think it was 2º specificallly for a 2/4 drop, but obviously the drivetrain is a little different between the two trucks.

the vibration you describe is something i hear about when people lower without adjusting pinion angle.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote