The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
vintovka

54 Chevy Bed top rail repair?

Restoration has its ups and downs. The down this week is that there are rust holes in the rolled part of the top bed rail on Both sides. I cannot find anyone who sells just the top rail and complete bed side replacement is out side the budget. Thought about bed rail covers or having pieces made but not sure. Any suggestions?
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
whitedog76

Re: 54 Chevy Bed top rail repair?

You could replace the top rail with a piece of emt conduit. I've seen it done when fabricating a new front panel for 47 -54 trucks. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the bedsides.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
You could replace the top rail with a piece of emt conduit. I've seen it done when fabricating a new front panel for 47 -54 trucks. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the bedsides.
Now thats an idea!! Will look into it. Going to try to see if local steel guy has something close or can fabricate a bed cap that would cover top and over the roll edge enough to cover rust holes. My repair guy says metal is too thin for standalone repair. Also Cannot find a regular maker of bed caps for short beds. Would go stainless or diamond plate if I could, Living on coast make rust a no 1 concern.

Update. your idea give me an Idea. Conduit welded to a new, full thickness top plate to make my own complete top rail. Much appreciated!!

Last edited by vintovka; 11-17-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
tmoble

exhaust tubing is mild steel. Conduit is often galvanized, bad idea welding that stuff. It emits phosgene gas or something similar. exhaust tubing is available in different diameters and is cheap. get somebody to bend the sheetmetal, welfd on the tubing.

It's been done, believe me.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
mr48chev

I've got to go with what Tmoble said there. Welding on conduit can get pretty nasty to your health. I've known a number of guys who used exhaust tubing for the rolls on bed sides over the years most of them having built the beds from scratch.

I'd think that your "body man" needs to look at cutting back from the rusted out area to reach solid metal as the bed sides are made of steel that should weld easily.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-18-2016 at 02:24 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Erics51chevy

Ive seen 1 1/4" exhaust tubing welded onto the bedside. What i did was bend 18 gauge around a peice of 1 1/4" steel pipe to make a circle. But that was incredibly hard, i thought i was stronger than i am. I think exhaust tubing would be the way to go. Doesnt even have to be welded all the way down the bedside, which will help with warping.
Erics51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
exhaust tubing is mild steel, available in different diameters and is cheap. get somebody to bend the sheetmetal, weld on the tubing.

It's been done, believe me.
Think the exhaust pipe will be best choice and will start looking monday. May consider having it welded to either existing top flat if metal there is ok. Adding a whole new top flat is also appealing if it can be nicely done. This is for the 54 USAF line truck rebuild on the 4x4 frame so not a purist type resto. HFS "Hell for stout" trumps pretty. Appreciate all comments, Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
vintovka

FWIW heres a poor pic of the problem. Look closely at top right to sight light coming thru holes. Both rails have same rust thrus.

Thats the new heater in the bed.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #9
Atommik

I made my own bedsides (1951 so a different angle but same concept) with the top rail a piece of 1 1/2 steel tube for a local steel yard. You could just make "the roll" and top plate and weld that on. If you weld the tube on, take lots of time and let it cool down between welds. I thought I was letting it cool enough but still ended up with a very slight curve along the length of the panel. Not noticeable to many but it is to me.
Attached Images

Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #10
Donaldo

Perhaps you could insert a length of mild steel pipe into the rolled edge and then build up on that, save the original profile and add some strength...

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
Perhaps you could insert a length of mild steel pipe into the rolled edge and then build up on that, save the original profile and add some strength...

Will consider it. The metal is worn so thin at the end it make me wonder about the integrity of the entire rail. BTW Your rebuild pics are amazing and truly eye candy
Old 11-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
Donaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Will consider it. The metal is worn so thin at the end it make me wonder about the integrity of the entire rail. BTW Your rebuild pics are amazing and truly eye candy
I'd certainly consider cleaning those sections aggressively to see if it is salvageable, a full length of pipe inside would surely add all the support needed. You can build out the rusted areas with weldment.

Thanks for the compliment. I added a few progress pics.

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #13
47 Fasttoys

I would go with the build a new bed side or replace just the top tube. Did mine on my '46 15 years ago and it held up fine.
Rob