The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
mmcgough

283 swap

I have an opportunity to buy a running 283 out of a 57 Chevy with front motor mounts. I currently have a 235 6 cylinder and am considering swapping them out out but have never done anything like this before. I have searched the forum on swaps and have found all kinds of information but still am not sure if this is something I should dig in to. It seems straight forward and appears to be a direct bolt in once I swap out the front motor mounts. The front motor mounts seem to be the same as the stock 265 v8 front motor mounts. Can it be this easy? I must be missing something. I am looking for any input on this.

Thanks

Mike
mmcgough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 283 swap

Relatively easy if you gather all the parts ahead of time, assuming you are talking about a 55.2 - 59 truck. The Factory Assemby Manual has a whole section devoted to the V8 RPO, well worth the $30 price of the manual. I have done the swap a number of times on Tri Five cars and TF trucks. The main issues are:

1. While both 6 and 8 share front motor mounts, the V8 is about 5 inches shorter so you will need to buy or fabricate the v8 extensions. See my thread for how I did it.
2. If you want to use the original manual transmission you will need to find an orginal cast iron TRUCK bellhousing, flywheel and clutch assembly with the angled motor mount pads. It bolts right up. You will also need to find a V8 Z bar and clutch linkage. The rod can be made, Z-bar can be a challenge. Can't remember if the 6 and 8 ball on the frame is in the same place.
3. Radiator on the factory V8 install is set back off the radiator support with tin that places the radiator against the fan at the right angle. I alway kept mine in the 6 cylinder position and added a shroud between the radiator and fan. For 15 years I used the 6 cylinder radiator (live in Idaho), if you are down south or are going to be towing you might want to upgrade.
4. Throttle linkage is different. I used one I got out of a 62 C10 that lever mounts thru the firewall, but aftermarket cable ones will work too.

Thats the biggies, hoses, wiring, etc. will need to me changed to fit the new location of stuff.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: 283 swap

Orrie spelled it out but I have done a few & just used the stock clutch linkage. There was no Z bar till 60.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote