The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #226
RustyCrank
Born when lead was good for us

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Trying this picture thing again...
Old 05-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #227
dsraven

no pic available, just a spot where the pic should be. when you want to add a pic youhave to click on reply, not quick reply, then scroll down to manage attachments and click on that. a seperate window should come up that allows you to browse files and add stuff. when done click on the upload button there and they should attach themselves. not sure on how to do that from a mobile though. sorry.reeaally not that techie of a guy.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #228
dsraven

ok, I must have been writing at the same time as you but you submitted before me. must be the one finger typing, haha.
they came that time. looks nice.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #229
dsraven

are those S10 mirrors? got a pic of the mounting? do you like your one piece glass? does it drag/bind at all on the upstroke?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #230
RustyCrank

Thanks and I've been away from this board for a while, heads down building the 56!

Check out the build in my album
Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #231
RustyCrank

Those S10 Blazer mirrors, I believe '86 or in that era. They really fit the body lines on these trucks and used on both my '62 and now the '56.

The glass kits are from Specialty Power Windows and work great. No scraping or binding if you use the pattern that comes from SPW. I had trouble with a kit I bought pre-cut glass and it was wrong. Use the pattern it really matters.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #232
evilokc

got my truck fired yesterday. it was great to hear it run even though it was only for a short time. I need to adjust the fuel pressure now and it will be ready for a test drive. have to admit I'm happy.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #233
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCrank View Post
The glass kits are from Specialty Power Windows and work great. No scraping or binding if you use the pattern that comes from SPW. I had trouble with a kit I bought pre-cut glass and it was wrong. Use the pattern it really matters.
Me too, I bought the Brothers, very unhappy with the glass fit and the U-channels, after talking to SPW I bought the pre cut glass from them, it's a really nice fit! I was thinking about writing up an newer post explaining it all, as it takes many hours of searching to get all the proper info together!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #234
dsraven

hey rusty, do you have a pic of the s10 mirror mounted that shows the view of the mirror a little better, from front sider maybe?
your truck is looking good. I like the way the new door panels look like they could have been from a 55-59.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #235
handyhands

I bought a exhaust kit from Speedway Motors. Now thinking about getting their two chamber mufflers. Good price, any thoughs?
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #236
Kevin Mac

Cut up a new radiator to fit around power steering gear box. Old radiator sprung a small leak. Also having to cut off brackets and move a little.

Last edited by Kevin Mac; 05-17-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #237
evilokc

got my spark issue corrected. funny thing was I had already fixed the issue and forgotten about it. when I went searching I found it and it fired right away. the truck fired right away as it always has but it only ran for about 15 seconds and then died. so I'm working on fuel pressure now. I filled the float bowls and it fired and ran for about 30 seconds. settled right into its normal lopey idle then died again. I'm tring to find out why I have no fuel pressure. ive really just started tracing it and don't expect it to be a big deal.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #238
gigamanx

Working on taking apart the S10. So I borrowed a truck to take the truck parts to the recycler of the donor truck for the truck I'm building

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #239
nvrdone

evilokc - ill ask the obvious question - do you have an electric pump and does it have power and ground? you may have power to the pump when cranking, which may be enough to prime the carb, but then the pump shuts off when the engine starts. I traced the same kind of problem and it drove me nuts finding it. good luck.

Last edited by nvrdone; 05-19-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add info
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #240
svr

It rolls, now to move to the other end of the shop and mount the cab and fenders to see if I have everything in the right place
Attached Images

svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #241
svr

Another
Attached Images

svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:45 AM   #242
dsraven

hey evilokc, what are you working on there for a truck? is it an old truck with a previous to you injected engine installed? also, what have you got for a power plant and wiring system etc? in previous posts you mention tossing the fuel injection and running a carb with mechanical fuel pump but also having some spark issues and it sounds like maybe you have the wiring sort of rigged up so it will just start and run with an on-off-kill style of switch set up. do you have the original fuel tank for injection with the original pump still in the tank? is there a fuel filter inline somewhere line a stock unit would have? i guess some answers to a few general questions would really help us to help you figure it out.

-what year of truck (I know, irrelevant but nice to know)

-what year and style of engine, small block chevy previously throttle body injected or port injected, possibly an LS with carb and distributor

-what type of fuel injection did you have previously before the fire

-what fuel tank style do you have, stock in cab or under the box or something different

-is the fuel pump for the injection system the "in the fuel tank" style or possibly an "inline" style and is it stilll in the system even though you say in a previous post that you have installed a mechanical style pump now. also, what type of mechanical pump, bolt onto the engine style driven with a pushrod from the camshaft like a typical old fashioned small block chevy that came with a carb on it or some other style of mechanical pump

-is the fuel tank vented

-have you checked to ensure the fuel lines are clear from tank to pump and on up to the carb, no kinks, squashed areas, possible plugged filters, possible poor rubber line somewhere etc

-what are you running for a distributor and how is it wired in

-have you got a couple of pics of the engine compartment and wiring system that you could post

-after it starts & runs for a few seconds then dies, have you checked for fuel in the carb by simply cracking the throttle and checking for a squirt from the accelerator pump in the throttle bore. does it die because it runs out of fuel or is it like the ignition gets turned off.

-the carb that was installed, what brand and style was it, was it a new unit, rebuilt unit, used unit from a recently good running engine-not a unit that ran good before but that was a long time ago so carb could be gummed up-carb not tipped upside down in the remove/install procedure

-you mentioned in a previous post that you were adjusting the fuel pressure. what have you got for fuel pressure and have you checked flow into a bucket to see what gallon per minute flow you have with an open fuel line from the carb supply fuel line after the regulator. I mean if you disconnected the fuel line from the carb and extended it to dump safely into a bucket so you could check flow over a 15 second fuel pump run cycle

I know, lots of questions,but we need to know what you have before we can help you troubleshoot it and hopfully get it running. some good pics would really help as well as some good information on what you have for a system
Old 05-28-2017, 01:27 AM   #243
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
It rolls, now to move to the other end of the shop and mount the cab and fenders to see if I have everything in the right place
Cool mixture of old and new.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:38 AM   #244
MARTINSR

Finally after many months I got out there and got this patch panel fit and tacked in. Also got some of the door gap to cowl corrected, but just tacked together.

Not much, but damn it was nice to get something done.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #245
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey evilokc, what are you working on there for a truck? is it an old truck with a previous to you injected engine installed? also, what have you got for a power plant and wiring system etc? in previous posts you mention tossing the fuel injection and running a carb with mechanical fuel pump but also having some spark issues and it sounds like maybe you have the wiring sort of rigged up so it will just start and run with an on-off-kill style of switch set up. do you have the original fuel tank for injection with the original pump still in the tank? is there a fuel filter inline somewhere line a stock unit would have? i guess some answers to a few general questions would really help us to help you figure it out.

-what year of truck (I know, irrelevant but nice to know)

-what year and style of engine, small block chevy previously throttle body injected or port injected, possibly an LS with carb and distributor

-what type of fuel injection did you have previously before the fire

-what fuel tank style do you have, stock in cab or under the box or something different

-is the fuel pump for the injection system the "in the fuel tank" style or possibly an "inline" style and is it stilll in the system even though you say in a previous post that you have installed a mechanical style pump now. also, what type of mechanical pump, bolt onto the engine style driven with a pushrod from the camshaft like a typical old fashioned small block chevy that came with a carb on it or some other style of mechanical pump

-is the fuel tank vented

-have you checked to ensure the fuel lines are clear from tank to pump and on up to the carb, no kinks, squashed areas, possible plugged filters, possible poor rubber line somewhere etc

-what are you running for a distributor and how is it wired in

-have you got a couple of pics of the engine compartment and wiring system that you could post

-after it starts & runs for a few seconds then dies, have you checked for fuel in the carb by simply cracking the throttle and checking for a squirt from the accelerator pump in the throttle bore. does it die because it runs out of fuel or is it like the ignition gets turned off.

-the carb that was installed, what brand and style was it, was it a new unit, rebuilt unit, used unit from a recently good running engine-not a unit that ran good before but that was a long time ago so carb could be gummed up-carb not tipped upside down in the remove/install procedure

-you mentioned in a previous post that you were adjusting the fuel pressure. what have you got for fuel pressure and have you checked flow into a bucket to see what gallon per minute flow you have with an open fuel line from the carb supply fuel line after the regulator. I mean if you disconnected the fuel line from the carb and extended it to dump safely into a bucket so you could check flow over a 15 second fuel pump run cycle

I know, lots of questions,but we need to know what you have before we can help you troubleshoot it and hopfully get it running. some good pics would really help as well as some good information on what you have for a system
i guess i should have added some kind of back ground. i just needed to vent when i started posting. I'm sure you know what that's like. i have a 1953 chevy 3100 with a gen 1 small block and a 79 buick front clip. i ran it on this motor with a carb for about 3 years and then moved to new mexico where the elevation made it very difficult to get the carb to work well. i added a plastic gas tank under the bed and a professional products powerjection3 throttle body kit. ran it that way for about 10 years. when i moved back to Oklahoma i started having fuel issues. i would get a lot of popping and loss of power. i kept working on fuel maps but the maps said my injection was running great. i was backing out of my driveway when i heard a weird noise and i opened the hood and saw fluid pouring out of the top of the motor. i assumed it was fuel but didn't know for sure. went to turn the truck off and it burst into flames before i could turn the key. the fire ruined some wires and the throttle body. i tried to rebuild the injection and was able to get the truck to run again but the ecm must have gotten too much heat and it was erratic and unusable. i found a really nice quick fuel carb and installed it. i was planning to run it off of the same electric inline pump. however i decided since i was going carb there was nothing wrong with a good ole mechanical pump. installed everything went to fire it and had no spark. that was just an over sight on my part that i was able to correct. then i have no fuel. i could fill the bowls through the vents and it would fire and idle great until the bowls were empty then die. i couldn't get the fuel pump to prime. i did all the standard stuff. i blew compressed air into the fuel tank, i verified the inlet and outlet were correct on the pump, i removed the pump to make sure the rod was seated correctly. everything was fine. i then removed the pump AGAIN to measure the pump rod because i heard many of the after market rods were too short. mine was fine. i also noted that the fuel pump trigger had marks on it from the rod showing me that the cam lobe and rod were articulating the trigger. i started looking and the reviews for the orileys fuel pump i have said LOTS of them are bad out of the box. so right now that's where i am. I'm going to return the "bad" pump and install a " good" pump hoping that's the issue. having driven my truck daily for a decade and now NOT having it for 8 months has been rough.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #246
mud.man.rj

Waiting to get my 71 Gmc K10 back today, traded for my 96 Cobra Svt that I never drive, was my favorite build of 142 builds now that I ever had, will post pic's. Happy day.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #247
MARTINSR

Damn it, I am going to get back to my five minutes a day! Third day in a row I got something done, not much mind you, but SOMETHING!

Got the front door gap to cowl finished, tacked into place perfect.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #248
abig84

got the crusty ol cab off yesterday, swapping it out with the one on the right

no title for the bad cab so dont ask

kicked it out in the yard as yard art for the time being, never know if im going to need any more parts off it

besides having no title it was just too far gone, the thing basically collapsed in on itself when i took it off
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #249
mud.man.rj

Yard art..
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #250
evilokc

i took my ( assumed) faulty fuel pump back and traded it for a (assumed) good one. i noticed when i removed the fuel pump that no fuel spilled out of the line. to make sure i have fuel i primed the fuel lines with my mityvac. so every part of my fuel system is KNOWN good minus the fuel pump. so by the end of the day i will have the new pump on and hopefully have my motor happily thumping.