The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
PK-72-Cheyenne

TorqStorm blowers - anyone seen these, have any experience with them?

I saw a TorqStorm blower featured in one of the magazine builds recently.

Normally I just assume the rave reviews are a direct function of the ad dollars spent.

But I don't think that's the case here.

They are relatively new but they seem to be onto something. At least it seems like it to me anyway.

Here's the website
http://www.torqstorm.com

No, I have nothing to do with these guys. I'm building a 383 now and I can't seem to resist the idea forced induction for those extra 150-200 ponies. I just want something that is fully underwood, dependable/well engineered, and is straightforward to install/tune/maintain.

Any thoughts?

PK.

current: 72 Cheyenne, 350/350
previous: 70 GMC, 6-banger - long gone
DD: 07 Jeep GC SRT8, 6.2L hemi
whenever I can: 11 Harley CVO Road Glide
PK-72-Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
67chevysupercharged

Re: TorqStorm blowers - anyone seen these, have any experience with them?

I am also interested in these. I agree that usually magazines just hype up the big name brands for money, but with how unknown this company is, I don't really see that being an issue. From all that I've gathered after doing a little research, is that these are basically good street blowers and work well until you start making much more than 500-550 rwhp, when belt slip becomes an issue at higher boost levels, at least on the single charger systems. For the money, they're fairly well priced and look like they're made with quality components.

I also like the thought of having a reasonably priced, reliable way of making good power. My main problem with other supercharger/turbo kits other than $ is that most place the unit on the top passenger side of the engine. This is a problem for me because when I install ac on my ls swap, my ac compressor will be right in the way.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-supercharger/

I liked the write up in this article, engine looks great and keeps the ac compressor where I would want it.

-Zak

67 SWB 6.0 LSX swap, 4/6 ECE Drop (Work in Progress)

2002 Victory Red ECSB Silverado 5.3 (DD)
67chevysupercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:30 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ok, here's my .02 on what I'm seeing on that website:

I'm an LS guy I don't like that all their "swap" blowers require carb or 4150 use.
I also don't see any of the kits in truck LS configs (different accessory spacing.

Other than that, the units themselves look like some of the older Vortec stuff....and I can't seem to find a single picture of the unit NOT mounted to a bracket, which means I can't see ANY of the inlet/volute, the vanes etc. That part bothers me a bit.

If your selling a piece of engineered performance goodies, I'd think there would be way more info on the actual ENGINEERING of said product. I see kit listings, a few customer cars, and a few press blurbs. Show me the impeller, what kind of bearing, what oiling system (or sealed) etc etc. Maybe they just don't do marketing real well, but the vague nature bothers me somewhat.

It also looks as tho they only offer a single unit, just mounted to the different brackets. They may also have a reverse-rotation unit since IIRC not all those engines listed spin the same way (and all the units face the same direction). Doesn't appear to be a variety of displacements...I didn't even see a list for separate pulley sizes and groove patterns.

My biggest concern is the actual quality of the blower unit, and that it could potentially be just a chinese made copy of a vortec or something along that line, mounted to a variety of brackets. Until more detail on that sort of thing came out, I wouldn't give them my money.

Keep in mind, that $2800 for the sbc kit doesn't have any sort of cooling (one of the advantages IMO of going with a centri blower). It also has a bov of unknown origin. The pulley is 6-rib only, so the tensioner needs to be good if its going to maintain belt wrap at decent speeds and not slip. For what I see, and what I would expect it to do in terms of power...I think I'd still be looking at regular top mount hot air blowers.

I'd be happy to let someone else be the guinnea pig to prove me wrong tho.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
ptc

Well BR3 thats a pretty seathing review of a product you have no knowledge of other than "what you read on the internet".... just saying.

I think if you dig a little deeper into the 'read' you find more on them and their history and how and why they HAD TO 'build a better mousetrap' all made in Wyoming, MI - USA:

http://www.torqstorm.com/history.html

Anyway, Ive been looking at TorqStorm (TQS) myself as an alternative to the high prices of both ProCharger and Vortech, who are the leaders basically in this industry and have produced the largest boosts from centrifugal superchargers (CS) in the history of them. I found out that for my engine size and requirements the TQS units would not deliver what I needed at only 6-7 lbs boost. They do have a really nice 'kit form' setup for just about any stock street car and the all inclusive price is very appealing compared to NEW ProChargers and Vortech systems that are easily DOUBLE the price.

The ProCharger F series and the Vortech V series are the big players out there and are capable of 35 lbs+ boost and up to 2500+ HP without breaking a sweat, but they WILL break your bank account! Thats not to says that a 2500HP 35 LB boost monster engine isnt worth $40,000.00 because in reality they are and thats just what it costs to do it.

The TQS unit is an entry level street car equivalent to the ProCharger P series or the Vortech V5 units. They are capable of 550 HP and limits under 10 lbs boost. No intercoolers needed or anything to get in the way of your AC, PS, PB, and all that stuff, just bolt on an air pump and you 30% more HP instantly. Thats not a bad deal for $2800 in my book!!!

Most all the CS units that are available from anybody still use NA carbs that are blow thru style, these will cost you $100 per 100cfm. CS Engines need to be built with blower cam and AF ratios just like any other blower style engine. You cant put these on high compression engines.... period. There are some people out there trying the new EFI carbs but not much info on them as yet. But they will be coming.

For a street GT Mustang, Challenger, Charger, Camaro SS, or any of the new muscle cars out there or anything using a new LS motor this is EASY and CHEAP bolt-on horsepower. Which is what this world is coming to right???? or for the OP question for a SBC 383, a TQS unit would be perfect and give you easily that 550 hp street motor that is more than enough for the average truck out there. My application is just a wee bit more with a BBC 509 engine and great deal on a Vortech V4Z

Last edited by ptc; 02-02-2016 at 07:25 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevysupercharged View Post
I also like the thought of having a reasonably priced, reliable way of making good power. My main problem with other supercharger/turbo kits other than $ is that most place the unit on the top passenger side of the engine. This is a problem for me because when I install ac on my ls swap, my ac compressor will be right in the way.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-supercharger/

I liked the write up in this article, engine looks great and keeps the ac compressor where I would want it.

-Zak

Zak this is a perfect article for LS owners and explains an entire installation of a TQS unit. Theres also a Q&A on CS below it that answers many questions.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

My opinion is based solely on what THEY provide for information. The information THEY provide doesn't instill my faith. Am I biased? Sure, but thats because I've setup, and watched procharger setups win...consistently.

The blower appears to be aimed at a lower market segment. Fine. But simply being cheaper than the next guy doesn't make you better. If they want to send me one, I'll build it and tell you if its better than a pc.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
My opinion is based solely on what THEY provide for information. The information THEY provide doesn't instill my faith. Am I biased? Sure, but thats because I've setup, and watched procharger setups win...consistently.

The blower appears to be aimed at a lower market segment. Fine. But simply being cheaper than the next guy doesn't make you better. If they want to send me one, I'll build it and tell you if its better than a pc.
I dont think the OP intended it to be a "Better Than PC" thread..... thats not the question. Yes it is a product for the lower HP market segment, mainly stock street cars that are still coming from dealerships with 300-700 hp (nowadays)... (if thats what you are referring to as a 'lower market segment'.)

But put one of these TQS on a HELLCAT and you are going to be well over 1000 HP instantly. Why spend $6K when you can do the same thing for half price???
Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
patrickk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
But put one of these TQS on a HELLCAT and you are going to be well over 1000 HP instantly. Why spend $6K when you can do the same thing for half price???
I don't think so. The Hellcat gets 700hp because it's supercharged already.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
I don't think so. The Hellcat gets 700hp because it's supercharged already.
Thats true and an extreme example.... so lets take a V6 Camaro running about 338 HP and throw one of these at it... Thats going to give you about 475-500hp pretty easy which will blow most of these wanna be 1/4 milers to the side of the road.....

Same cost $6K or $3K ????? which would you prefer?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
patrickk1

After reading their "About Us" webpage, sounds like it could be a redesigned powerdyne.

1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

PTC I gotta ask; I admitted my bias, what drives yours?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #12
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
PTC I gotta ask; I admitted my bias, what drives yours?
My only bias is COST.... as stated in my posts. Nothing against ProCharger at all I think they have a great product and so does the racing and non-racing community. Thats why their resale value is SO inflated!.... But their retail costs are high too, so I can see where people want to get the money back out of them.

But I dont pay for a "name"... when I know the same product can be had for a more reasonable amount. I think Paxton was one of the originators of automotive centrifugals. Vortech is another long timer, so ProCharger is a relative new comer really in comparsion, as is TorqueStorm. But the technology has been around since the '30's I believe.

COST is what it boils down to for most people, I just think TQS has come up with something that more people can afford for a basic road car or truck that wants exponentially more power without a radical engine build.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
PK-72-Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
I dont think the OP intended it to be a "Better Than PC" thread..... thats not the question. Yes it is a product for the lower HP market segment, mainly stock street cars that are still coming from dealerships with 300-700 hp (nowadays)... (if thats what you are referring to as a 'lower market segment'.)

Correct - I'm interested to know if anyone has any thoughts on whether considering the TQS setup has merit.

Cost is an important consideration, but something that works poorly or does not deliver what it promises is not a good value at half the cost (or less)

My main goals are: Retain stock hood (or possibly a cowl hood but I'd prefer not to go that way), add a significant amount of power to a stout 383, retain drivability and durability, play nice with other belt driven accessories including AC, look decent when the hood is up, and to keep costs reasonable.

I'd never seen this setup before I saw the article, and I would guess that few of us have any real world experience with this particular company, but you never know.

I am open to going other routes as well - I'm happy to hear any suggestions or experiences, good or bad.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the input.

current: 72 Cheyenne, 350/350
previous: 70 GMC, 6-banger - long gone
DD: 07 Jeep GC SRT8, 6.2L hemi
whenever I can: 11 Harley CVO Road Glide
PK-72-Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
ptc

If $3K is your budget area, I would buy it. I was going to buy it for mine (but it wasnt enough boost for a 509" motor) Call and talk to them to get your answers, they DO know. They were honest with me and said it aint going to go where I wanted.- PERIOD. So that was honest info.

If you are open to used parts, there is alot of stuff out there for about the same cost, but its used.... dont buy anything thats incomplete would be the only advice I would give you on buying used stuff. If its across the country have the seller take the head to a local shop and you talk with the shop directly to verify the impeller is good and not all nicked up. Have them sign a shop order that they checked it out. Do a paypal deal with a credit card and your money will be safe.

Good luck - -and MORE POWER to ya!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
patrickk1

Based on additional research I have done, It looks like this is redesigned powerdyne. Supposedly TorqStorm even bought out a lot of powerdydnes parts stock at one point after they went out of business. You could always find a used powerdyne bd-11 or bd11a for cheap and have it rebuilt by 928motorsports with billet impellar, hardened shaft, and upgraded bearings and belt.