The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
nrb's70gmc

Troubles aligning c20 front end.

Hay guys i know this topic has been covererd many times before but i cant seam to get a direct answer. so.

after years of just driving my truck i decided to start doing some upgrades (new upper /lower balljoints) long term i wanna do a long traval pre runner build. 12 inch coil overs and bypasses.

short term i installed some new 3 inch lift coil springs (c10) (while i had the front end apart.) 1 1/2inch blocks in rear. 4 new skyjacker m95 shocks. and 3inch balljoint spacers.

truck is drivable around town, not really bad handling considering (tires have a bit of negitive camber.) (using stock upper control arms.)

before i started this upgrade truck was aligned perfect (even tire wear- new in 2006)

the camber shims are pretty stacked ( est 1/4inch treads showing on rear stud and est 1/2inch showing on front stud>bumper of upper control arm. (both sides)

the guy at the alignment shop said they cant do anything couse im ot of treads on the studs.

This is the alignment settings ive had with the stock springs and been driving it for years.

the shop i went to is the same shop i got my tires from in 2006 (you can tell i dont drive it very often)

the point being is im not out of theads (their is room for a couple more shims IMO) but if they wont align it what can i do?

my idea is replacing the stud bolts with a nerrow/slim lock nut allowing for more room for shims (not ideal but short term fix?)

i heard they make longer upper control arm studs? (not ideal but short term fix?)

i heard that some tubular upper control arms are built like 1/2 inch longer?
is it possible to bolt on c10 upper control arms on c20? (tubular)

i could probbally fix this with a call to porterbuilt with a set of upper control arms.

thats a lot of money to spend to just scrap (planning a full upper/lower long traval control arm build)

im not in the position right now to build the long traval set up-
just looking for a band aid for the time being.

your thoughts? Thanks
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Troubles aligning c20 front end.

You did just about everything you shouldn't and got the expected results.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
nrb's70gmc

Their are plenty of people out their that lift two wheel drive trucks and 2-3 inch lifts are not that extreme. (About the max with stock arms anyhow)

My problem is that I have fairly large shim packs to begin with. (With stock suspension)
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
kwmech

Couple of things, knock out an existing stud and see if you can match up a longer wheel stud OR look into using a shouldered style lug nut that will grab the threads through the A-arm hole.

Never mind the lug nut thing won't work after I thought about it
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Couple of things, knock out an existing stud and see if you can match up a longer wheel stud OR look into using a shouldered style lug nut that will grab the threads through the A-arm hole.

Never mind the lug nut thing won't work after I thought about it
Is that all it is? Just a wheel stud? Figured it was some special kind of stud. Thanks for the idea.

Now, is it possible to do it with the engine/headers in the truck? Guess I'll look tomarrow.