The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2018, 02:53 AM   #1
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

what to look for when buying a truck 1964--72

Have any of you that own more then a few of these trucks getting more and more people asking why you have so many of these trucks.I feel they are Jealous.One guy i found out had 3 of them But they where in piss poor shape.His bother told me he dose not have a good eye for less work trucks.Even tho something might cost 1500.00 or ever 500.00.

Do your homework.first is it going to be a every day fix it project and you looking foreword to doing a lot of welding.

Me I'm not a welder or a body man.But i'm a guy that want a sound truck.

I take a creeper when i go look at a truck or a packing blanket and a flash light and a metal wane to show away the webs and anything living under the truck.

when i pop the hood i want to see all the factory brackets like alt power steering and the bower brake booster bracket.I'm not a guy for 3 on the tree or 4 speed trans.

I'm past the hard clutch part of these old trucks.The Alternator was never on the passenger side of the motor on any of the GM Trucks from 1964--72.

I look at the fan shroud if its there and the core support they tend to cancer out.Then i look in the cab look for signs or fire or just pain abuse.

The main thing that you need to look at is the CAB its the main focus when you look for a truck.Its the hardest to get right and so many Fail.Not all of us are Fab people.

So next time you go to buy one of these trucks.Make sure the cab is the least of your worries.The rest is easy.

For the better part of 18 years I've gathered 16 trucks from 1964--72.The Cab has been the focal point to build around.I have some clean cab's 4 of them need minor rocker panel work 1 needs the passenger side floor and inner and outer rocker.It was my fault.I parked my 1964 short bed fleet side under a tree.

Never park these trucks under a tree bush or a place that has constant water running off of it.Keep tarps off these trucks they trap water and keeps it damp in these trucks.Keep your windows seal use cocking to seal up all window openings.One guy in AZ told me to paint all your windows white so the sun dose not cook the inside of your truck.The Airplane grave yard paints there jets silver or white.Must be a reason why
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
bill3rail

Re: what to look for when buying a truck 1964--72

Thanks for the thoughts. If I had room, I might buy more...

Bill