The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Ryan5O

Timing Marker _ Crate Motor

Quick Question...

I've got a new crate motor that I'm adding some pieces two; last night I installed a one piece oil pan gasket and a new timing cover. With the cover off I saw that the timing wasnt aligned TDC.

Should I have any concerns when installing the new balancer and more specifically, the timing mark?

Thanks again,
R
Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
chevykevy

Re: Timing Marker _ Crate Motor

Your scaring me.......I have a crate installed in current project but haven't fired it yet
chevykevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Ryan5O

Well lets both cross our fingers and see what kinda response I get
Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
geezer#99

Do you mean it wasn’t aligned dot to dot?
Did you turn the crank to line them up?
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

A photo of what you found would be helpful.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
Ryan5O

Correct, the two sprockets both had dots, they were not aligned. I would take a pic, but I've got the pan and cover back on; but the nuts are not torqued down yet. I'm trying to avoid taking it all off again.

When I initially saw that they were not lined up, it crossed my mind to turn the motor over to fix it. The problem was that I just dont have the tools to do so; there's nothing to torque on in order to move the crank.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #7
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5O View Post
With the cover off I saw that the timing wasnt aligned TDC.
Gotta describe in more detail. If the dots aren't lined up (if that's what you're referring to), that most likely just means it's been rotated (hopefully AFTER the dots were aligned when the chain was installed). And the builder would definitely need to rotate after chain installation. I don't know if, for instance, GM rotates all to TDC on #1 before they ship, but I kinda doubt it as there is no reason to. If your distributor isn't installed yet, you will need to figure things out before you install. If it was installed by the builder, then I probably wouldn't worry too much (but I would be checking it all out anyway - TRUSTNO1.... (cue X-Files music))

EDIT: Ah, sorry, you posted #6 while I was typing with my thumbs. Was the distributor already installed by the builder? Recommend invest in a crank socket and breaker bar (though a 1/2 drive ratchet should turn it over pretty easily) or, if your balancer is installed, one of those Gucci flywheel/flexplate clamp wrenches to be able to turn the motor over. Remember, easier with the spark plugs out). Regardless of how much I trusted the builder, I'd want to confirm proper timing before firing. But to your original question, it doesn't mean it's NOT timed just because the dots weren't aligned when you pulled the timing cover.

Last edited by jocko; 02-13-2018 at 12:28 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #8
Ryan5O

No the distributor is not installed.

From what your saying, and probably the direction I'm heading, the safe bet is to get a crank socket and line it up.

After that is done, is it as simple as installing the balancer and then the timing marker?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #9
truckster

Just remember- dot to dot on a SBC is #6 firing. The timing mark will align, but you'll need one full rotation of the crank to get to #1 TDC for the firing stroke, which is where you want to be when you install the distributor.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5O View Post
No the distributor is not installed.

From what your saying, and probably the direction I'm heading, the safe bet is to get a crank socket and line it up.

After that is done, is it as simple as installing the balancer and then the timing marker?
If you take the timing cover off and watch the dots as you rotate - if you observe that as the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock that the crank gear dot lines up with it (i.e. at 12 o'clock) then you are good. If you want to degree the cam, now is the time to do it. It's not required, but it will help you confirm that "0" on the timing tab is actually 0 deg TDC. The markers aren't always exactly accurate - but this level of anal retentiveness is usually reserved for race motors - just installing the timing tab in its normal spot is close enough for government work.

BREAK BREAK

You can button things up at that point. When it comes time to install the distributor, recommend do a search on here for how to do it properly. Keep in mind that when the timing dots are aligned at 6 and 12 o'clock on the cam and crank gears, respectively, that the engine is actually at the EXH stroke on #1 cylinder and the firing stroke of #6 cylinder. So, ya gotta keep all that in mind as you install the distrib. It's best to think of the timing dots as simply the aid that helps you get the crank and cam properly timed - ignition timing is a separate animal.

EDIT: DANG I type slow... truckster hit the nail on the head with what I was trying to get across in the last paragraph. And to install the distrib, I do just what he said: if you lined up the dots at 6/12 and button up the engine - then rotate the crank around 1x back to the same TDC point (or initial timing advance point) and THEN drop the distrib in with the rotor pointing toward #1 cyl - and confirm it is lined up with the #1 plug wire tower on the distrib cap when you install it. That will get you close enough to start the motor - then you can adjust/refine initial advance with a timing light after you start up.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #11
Ryan5O

perfect response; thanks for the quick turnaround.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
geezer#99

Is your timing marker a bolt on or is it already attached to your timingcover?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Ryan5O

its a bolt on
Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
geezer#99

Bolt on might be more fun! Or a pain!
Is it an adjustable bolt on that lets you move the zero mark to fit your balancer?

And how accurate do you want to be?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Just remember- dot to dot on a SBC is #6 firing. The timing mark will align, but you'll need one full rotation of the crank to get to #1 TDC for the firing stroke, which is where you want to be when you install the distributor.
I was thinking this too. If the dots were aligned with the crank at 12 and the cam at 12, there's an off chance it was already at top dead center on #1.

But dot to dot will be #6 TDC.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote