The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Gr8HallaFamer

Options to increase fuel deliver. 87 t.b.i

I put a built motor in but left the stock t.b.i. unit on. Also the computer is stock. Those are pricey to replace so was wondering what other options to increase fuel? Spring in pressure reg.?
Gr8HallaFamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Options to increase fuel deliver. 87 t.b.i

any engine mods on tbi = custom burnt chip for the computer .

and stock the tbi performs best up around 11-13 psi before any mods and 13 psi being the better end . some guys have reported 8.5-9.0 psi on stock setups then turn them up and say oh wow what a new engine .

aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator units are available and the best option as a fixed spring in 1 unit could = 12 psi and in another = 14 psi . so the adjustable unit lets you dial it in perfect .

next and most important is a fuel pressure gauge in the system . you need the adapter and a good quality gauge . if going in the cab just do a electric one as in the end its faster to install and same basic money as mech with hoses and idolator unit to keep fuel from inside the cab .

then there is the fuel pump just get a acdelco ep281 pump for a 1996 c3500 350/5.7 vortec truck . its a 60 psi pump and direct swap in place of your current pump no mods required . the regulator will just dump the extra back . make sure your current lines are good and up to the task of the higher pri and flow .

another mod is the hypertech power charger it unshrouds the injector area a LOT and lets the air flow in bigtime . pic included below of mine on a holley sniper ( not sold on it yet for quality and function LONG STORY ) . you cut the bottom of the air filter base out to open up the flow and this replaces the factory spacer unit .

some guys also report setting the base timming from ZERO* to 4* makes a good stock no mods change .

also get some parts here http://www.rvmorsemachine.com/newproducts.htm

skip the off the shelf tbi performance chips . the custom unit is best .
Attached Images

85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Gr8HallaFamer

Great information thanks. Ill get the adjustable reg. And gauge. Should fix my lean issue. those prices on that site seems reasonable. I just put in a new fuel pump for my year truck thought that was the issue nope wasn't. I'll hold off on the one you said but will keep note of it.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
sweetk30

r.v. morse has been around for years . good people .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Kudzupatch

I have done a lot of research and without a proper tune you will never get anywhere near the potential of a modified engine. You may make it run decent, but you have lots of potential still hidden.

About to swap mine and talking to the a local tuner we are going to try the Moats Ostrich emulator. It is a chip emulator and replaces your chip. You can connect to the Ostrich emulator with a laptop and tune it like the OBDII computers. He has never used one but everything we read is positive about them.

You can leave them in place but the idea is to tune the motor and then once you have it right, then you burn a chip and install it permanent.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
Gr8HallaFamer

Thanks great info to think about. I'm just trying to get the lean mixture gone but definitely don't want to miss out on more horse power too. I'm going to look into that scanner.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Mattchu60

I put a built 350 in my TBI truck 3 years ago. I did this:

https://www.dynamicefi.com/

The learning curve is steep, but after reading and reading and reading some more you will get it. You send your ECM in, this guy rebuilds it with updated components and when it comes back you have a fully programmable ECM. You hook your laptop up, drive around and it will self learn in closed loop mode using the stock O2 sensor. If you add (and I recommend you do) a wide band O2 sensor to your exhaust and plug it into the ECM, it can self learn the entire powerband.

I upgraded to the Holley TBI when i did mine - normally its a waste of money to use the Holley Unit as they are often added to a stock engine and just make the engine run rich. But it has a adjustable regulator built in, bigger bores and with the ECM programming you can dial it right in where it should be.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
DieselSJ

Run the later fuel pump. The stock pump in my 87 wasn't keeping up with demand and all I've done is a high-flow cat and 3" exhaust. Stock pump barely keeps up with a stock engine. The later Vortec pumps are a direct fit and flow a lot more fuel.

AC Delco EP381 is the pump and Delco TS6 is the proper strainer for it. Pump was $55 through RockAuto.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu60 View Post
I put a built 350 in my TBI truck 3 years ago. I did this:

https://www.dynamicefi.com/

The learning curve is steep, but after reading and reading and reading some more you will get it. You send your ECM in, this guy rebuilds it with updated components and when it comes back you have a fully programmable ECM. You hook your laptop up, drive around and it will self learn in closed loop mode using the stock O2 sensor. If you add (and I recommend you do) a wide band O2 sensor to your exhaust and plug it into the ECM, it can self learn the entire powerband.

I upgraded to the Holley TBI when i did mine - normally its a waste of money to use the Holley Unit as they are often added to a stock engine and just make the engine run rich. But it has a adjustable regulator built in, bigger bores and with the ECM programming you can dial it right in where it should be.
Those systems are awesome. The SS454 truck guys love them.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
Mattchu60

They are a great system, but dang it was frustrating to learn through. The guy that sells it gives great support (ONLY through email though, no phone). The Dynamic EFI ECM allows a lot of modifications, not just fuel tables, although thats mostly what I used it for. You can do lots of things, such as adjust engine timing, adjust when your trans convertor locks up, run electric fans from the ECM, and 50 other things I am forgetting. Most of the variables you never mess with.

Again - great system, works wonderfully, but the learning curve is really steep. Its one of those things you get frustrated with, and then you finally get it and it all makes sense.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote