The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
red wasp

Floor shifter conversion question????

Hey guys kinda new here but I just got a 69 lwb that has a manual with three on the tree. I recently bought a floor shifter "universal" conversion kit for it and everything seems to mount up but the speedometer cable that is coming out of the transmission is right in the way of one of the shifter arms. Has anyone else encountered this problem?? If so could you maybe give me some advise on what you did to fix it. The only think that I could think of is to try and find a 90 degree fitting for the cable or just cap it off and go with out one, but I didn't think that this was going to be a problem when I bought the kit, any pointers would be helpful and Ill try and take some pictures if that helps. Thanks.
red wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
71 super

Re: Floor shifter conversion question????

Piece of advice, find a set of the bronze bushings to replace the nylon crap they send with the shifter as it will improve the shift characteristics greatly. Good luck with the aftermarket shifters, the cheap ones are horrid at best. The last three speed truck I bought had a aftermarket cheap set in it. I ended up ripping it off the transmission after it stopped shifting from first to second without physically stopping the truck and starting again - before you say adjustment, I spent three hours under the truck doing everything possible including heim ends etc. I finally found a good three speed column and replaced what the previous owner had removed. I say this because the column even in its worst is better than most of the cheap shifter for three speeds out there. JMO and good luck.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
junkyardjohn

Couldn't have said it better.. Universal usually = junk that aughta work?? john
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
697498chevy

Been thru two Hurst Indy? floor shifters in the last 15 years or so . They work fine for me , but I quit speed shifting many years ago . First shifter failed because mounting bracket broke . I'm thinking Hurst offers a higher end shifter , too . Sorry , don't remember any speedo issues .
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
red wasp

Thanks, Ya the shifter wasnt my first choice but I got it for christmas and finally got around to putting it on last week, I wanted to get the hurst but after I tried to take it back they were going to charge me a 15% restocking fee even if I was going to up grade.... so I just figured I would give this one a try.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red wasp View Post
Thanks, Ya the shifter wasnt my first choice but I got it for christmas and finally got around to putting it on last week, I wanted to get the hurst but after I tried to take it back they were going to charge me a 15% restocking fee even if I was going to up grade.... so I just figured I would give this one a try.
Do you like it? I have a TON of slop in my column and am thinking of going to a floor shifter. How big of a hole if the pan did you cut?

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
red wasp

I took a hole saw and cut a 2 3/4 in hole, that seemed to to the job. I havent really got to use it yet but after I finally got all the linkage straitened out it seems like it should work ok, but if you can find a good deal get a hurst cuz the one I got seems ok but I would have gone with the hurst.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
msgross

My project "flip that truck or else" had a crappy mr. gasket floor shifter that kept breaking speedo cables. I suggested to the new owner to add a 90 degree adapter to it...

Of course I got the truck cheap because it was stuck in third gear (shifter issue). Whatever you do be sure to keep your original linkage around...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
corvette6698512

My truck has a hurst 3 speed floor shifter. It shifts nice, no slop. I like it. click here for picture
corvette6698512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
697498chevy

Hurst floor shifter looks like mine . It touches the seat when you're in first and third , and that's with the seat all the way back . Not a problem for me as that's where I like the seat .
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
pat 70/71

I ran a hurst shifter for a while. never was 100% perfect. you know what they say universal fit means ( won't fit anything) my shifter fell through the floor on the freeway! got it home with a bolt /nut from the tool box I had with me! changed back to three on the tree / all new bushings/levers $35.00 later i was shifting like a pro. change it back & forget about it. hope this helps have fun .Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote