The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Bulkhead connection

I decided to cut the bulkhead connection out of the 68 stepper. When I got the wiring out of the truck I looked at it and just taped it back up. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to do something about it. So today after getting the exhaust done I cut it out and put a fender mounted double bulkhead connector on the radiator support on the drivers side. It will come in handy if I need to add anything and later this week I plan to do the head light relays.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Bulkhead connection

I had the same connections and here's what I did.

This is the soldered connection from the factory.

Name:  DCP_2359.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  58.0 KB

I broke all the wires out and used a junction to make all the connections from the alternator, battery, and cab.

This is a picture of it unfinished. I've got it wired with all the necessary circuits from the main harness and I used the headlight wires to connect the relays for my headlights on a small terminal strip I mounted on the radiator shroud near the horn.

Name:  temperature gauge 005.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  71.9 KB

The large red wires are the 12 volt hot wires and I used an 8 gauge wire for the alternator output wire to the junction and the alternator sensing wire is connected here too.

That's a great job you'r doing on the 68 Andy.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Bulkhead connection

Thanks Vette,

I'm planning to install the relays by weeks end I hope. I just didn't like the bulk head soldering connection. I do have a concern on the alternator though. It's charging at 15.35 volts at idle. I may need to check the alternator out. This one was given to me from my friend who I had the truck in his shop. It maybe over charging the battery.
What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NILbgGjFKg&t=3s

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Bulkhead connection

That's a little higher than normal at idle but still within range. Remember you don't have all the circuit draws on the alternator yet, or do you. The question is what is the reading at 2,000 rpms? Is the battery fully charged and still drawing 15.35? The battery should read 12.7 to 13 fully charged and just a bit less after and hour.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Bulkhead connection

Haven't checked it at 2000 RPM's yet had even thought about it. I post what it is tomorrow though for sure. The battery was dead the other day after getting the exhaust installed. Right now it's reading 12.63volts and it hasn't been on the charger since Monday.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Bulkhead connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
That's a little higher than normal at idle but still within range. Remember you don't have all the circuit draws on the alternator yet, or do you. The question is what is the reading at 2,000 rpms? Is the battery fully charged and still drawing 15.35? The battery should read 12.7 to 13 fully charged and just a bit less after and hour.

I checked it today as I said and it didn't change anything. It stayed @ 15.30/15.35 volts with the motor on headlights on bright and turn signal on.
It could be a bad alternator, it was in Bill's shop for some reason and it wasn't in a box so we know it wasn't new. I will keep a eye on it for sure.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club