The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Jmageee902004

Transmission issue

My 1964 chevy 3/4ton 4speed transmission is having problems shifting. It shifts fine when the truck isnt running, but seems like it isnt disengaging. I press in the clutch and it doenst allow me to shift into or out of any gear. I was told this could be a stuck clutch plate, but cant figure out how to get it unstuck.
What happened was about a month ago i get in my truck after it sitting for a few weeks and back it out of the drive way. when i go to shift out of reverse and into first, it wouldnt go into first or any of the other gears. So i turned the truck off put it in first and started it up while already in gear.
Some more information, i adjusted the clutch rod and what that did was when i had the truck running and driving around the block in 2nd i was then able to shift out of second (i couldnt shift out of second easily or everytime) but not back into any of the gears.
Any help or insights would be much appreciated, i also hear maybe broken clutch forks? but dont know how to check for that or even check for a stuck clutch plate.
Jmageee902004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
luvbowties

Re: Transmission issue

If, when driving in any gear, you can push the clutch pedal in and come to a stop w/out the engine stopping, then clutch is not stuck. If you can begin to pull off after starting engine w/tranny already in each and every gear, the forks are probably ok. If all above performs as stated, re-adjust pedal to allow clutch to engage further. HTH, sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

When you have the clutch to the floor, when does it start to engage? If its right off the floor, you need to do some adjusting.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Jmageee902004

Yea if i have the clutch all the way depressed down the truck will still lurch forward. Ive only been able to get it started and driving in 1st or 2nd and when i depress the clutch to the floor and push the accelerator the truck will still move forward. Only after i drove the truck around the block a few times since it initially wouldnt shift did i regain the ability to shift out of 2nd (the only gear i tried too) with a little convincing though.After i got it in neutral the only way to get it back in gear was to shut the truck off and put it back in gear. I did adjust the clutch bar (the bar that actually pushes the end of the fork)all the way out. Is their a way to adjust the pedel in the cab?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
luvbowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmageee902004 View Post
Yea if i have the clutch all the way depressed down the truck will still lurch forward. Ive only been able to get it started and driving in 1st or 2nd and when i depress the clutch to the floor and push the accelerator the truck will still move forward. Only after i drove the truck around the block a few times since it initially wouldnt shift did i regain the ability to shift out of 2nd (the only gear i tried too) with a little convincing though.After i got it in neutral the only way to get it back in gear was to shut the truck off and put it back in gear. I did adjust the clutch bar (the bar that actually pushes the end of the fork)all the way out. Is their a way to adjust the pedel in the cab?
At this point, we are assuming you have a mechanical--not hydraulic--clutch.?.? This sounds like clutch IS stuck. Remove dust cover (that covers the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, etc.). You should be able to now see the clutch disc, press-plate, and flywheel. Use a sharpened putty knife ~ 1 to 1.5" wide and carefully drive it with a hammer between clutch disc and press-plate and slowly rotate flywheel as you drive into several accessible points. Try to drive it more along metal surfaces, allowing back side of blade to wedge against the softer clutch-material. (The knife probably won't go very far up between the surfaces, maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch.) Then do same except between clutch disc and flywheel all the way around in several accessible points. This has freed up the only 2 stuck discs I've ever run into--both 6-cylinder Chevy pickups. Again, good luck. sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Jmageee902004

Thanks for the reply il give it a try this weekend. I also heard of soaking it it penetrating oil and driving the truck around while giving it a good amount of gas and stopping suddenly. I think il try this too if the putty knife doesnt work.Does this sound like a good way to unstick it? i thought i heard somewhere not to use penetrating oil on the clutch or it might ruin it.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
TopFuel1966

The clutch disc is lined with a fibrous material similar to brake shoes. Oil will penetrate the lining and cause it to continuously slip and destroy it and if you drive it very far you will probably have to also replace the pressure plate and the flywheel or,at least, have them resurfaced.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote