The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
LT1 Burb

Frame vin question

Anyone here have any hassle from swapping frames under your cabs. I have a shortbed frame but if I use it it will obviously not match the cab and I don't have a title with the frame, nor do I know where it even came from. I bought the shortbed truck but after doing a vin search I realized it should be a long bed, which it clearly isn't , nor has it been altered. It is for this reason that I was planning on shortening my longbed frame, at least it would match VIN's, or should I not even worry about it.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
padresag

Re: Frame vin question

I doubt that You will ever be asked about it. if you had a gmc you wouldn't have to worry about it as they didn't appear to have any frame nbrs at all in those years. about the only time now that it would come up is if it was involved in a serious accident and they went through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. most wouldn't even where to look anymore as all of that info was in books and you know now if the info doesn't live on the internet , it doesn't exist.

I can remember though when I got my first car on the road in 61, a 36 ford sedan and the 1st time that I had ever been pulled over the3 cop asked me to prove that the vehicle belonged the registration by way of frame nbr. I had to go to the mvb and this fellow comes out with a scraper and goes directly to the spot on the frame and says yes it does match
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
steverino66

x2 - I think many of us would be in trouble if anyone official knew/checked or even cared. I've never been able to determine what the frame code on mine means, but it definitely doesn't match the VIN.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would suggest checking with your state regulations regarding that as it will vary from state to state. My son recently bought a '63 in Washington that was not on the original frame. The PO butchered the frame in the area where the VIN was, so it was only partially there. When transferring a out of state title into Idaho a VIN inspection is required. The lady at the DMV just checked the VIN tag on the door jamb. The legal way to go about it in Idaho when either a frame or body is changed is to have the completed vehicle inspected by the state motor vehicle inspector so he/she can issue a reconstructed vehicle VIN and title. Of course you will need to show receipts for every component used to assemble the vehicle.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote