The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #26
cadillac_al

Re: Carburetor Question (To Jet or to Go Up In CFM)

I think that cam is made to idle rough. I'd say it will be trial and error with the timing to get it to run as good as it ever will. I'm sure the low compression 1986 engine isn't helping. You may get it to sound bad ass though. Keep tinkering.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #27
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Agree. The "thumper' cam will never idle right
BUT, a 243°@ 0.050" is far from HUGE in a 454. The Edelbrock RPM small blockcam is only 7° less than that, intended for a 350" motor, and will idle at 750-800RPM all day long. Another 100 cubic inches would gobble up 15+° and never know its there.

The fact that you have issues with TWO carbs,, you should listen to the fella's here and check elsewhere. Timing,, absolutely if you don't KNOW where the timing is you need to find out/
My first suspect in a backfireing, poorly running motor is the cam has lost an exhaust lobe or 3.

Get the timing set properly and if you still have issues, that neither carb will cure,, time to cut a oil filter open to see how much iron debris is in it,, , and then pull a rocker cover and see how many lobes are wiped.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #28
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/CL11-602-4/10002/-1
There's the cam. Also an Eddy Performer RPM intake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well you just found a good portion of your problem. That POS noisemaker isn't good for anything but making noise. That cam isn't big though by any stretch for a 454. YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR TIMING. If you don't know what is then it isn't right. Setting timing by ear or anything like that is NONSENSE. Put a timing light on that engine. We cant help you if you don't do the basic troubleshooting stuff and give us some info.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #29
KyleSeal

As I am repeatedly saying: I cannot get it to run long enough or at constant enough RPM to get a timing reading. I put a 5 psi fuel regulator on it and it fires up easier now. I'm going to try turning the distributor a little each time firing up until I find a spot that is okay.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #30
cableguy0

Put the engine at 3k rpm and see where the timing is. You will need an advance timing light but you need one anyway if you want to set the total timing properly.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #31
KyleSeal

Put a new 750 double pumper, a 4776 not a 4779-9 750, but a regular street 750. Fired up. We're just adjusting it down now.
Posted via Mobile Device

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
Old 09-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #32
KyleSeal

Tuned that 750 DP I purchased, drilled the butterflies and threw a tiny powervalve in it, corrected the MSD box wiring, put a new distributor and spark plugs in it and its driving around again. Another issue I had was a bad alternator. New one fixed it.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #33
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A 4776 is a 600 cfm double pumper, not a 750.

Quote:
Put a new 750 double pumper, a 4776 not a 4779-9 750, but a regular street 750. Fired up. We're just adjusting it down now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you ever determine what your timing is?

Quote:
Tuned that 750 DP I purchased, drilled the butterflies and threw a tiny powervalve in it, corrected the MSD box wiring, put a new distributor and spark plugs in it and its driving around again. Another issue I had was a bad alternator. New one fixed it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote