The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
faun_cee

carb choke coil

From a cold start, my choke wouldn't open; I needed to put a screwdriver to keep it open. when started the choke would stay open all the way allowing way too much air flow. I heard people talk about "racing" their truck in hopes of unsticking it. I took mine apart to find the problem and sure enough, I found one. the pin to keep it from falling off had fallen of (or the guy before me never had it). I ordered one from Ebay for about $20. i get it april 7th so ill make another post with results.

I seen carbs on ebay built with an electric choke, would i need to make any adjustments if I buy one of those?
faun_cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: carb choke coil

From a cold start, the choke plate should be mostly closed. Over the first couple minutes of the engine running and warming up, it should gradually open all the way and stay open.
Regarding getting a carburetor with an electric choke, this is the one I bought
http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=nd4478
Since I have a 1969 truck, the throttle linkage needed to be the old style linkage. National Carburetors built this carburetor for me with the correct linkage for 1969. I'm sure there will be others who reply to tell you about their choke setup.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

I wouldn't go for a new carb. Just fix the choke, but really you shouldn't need a choke in San Jose if the carb is tuned right. Here in the San Fernando Valley with a similar climate I disabled my choke 21 years ago (and on the '69 I had for years before that) but left the high idle cam. It always starts right up (even fasted after I added Electronic Ignition) No need for a fuel wasting choke here IMO -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I love like manual chokes Even tho my 1971-72 trucks don't have a option for it I cut a hole in my Basel and put the choke cables i sell in my chevy trucks.If i don't need it i wont use it but when i need it its there..Its like a spare tire Most people that buy new tires regulery seem to think why have a spare.I like this one the most.Most guys take the heater core out of these trucks more on the 1960-66 trucks.But i have a working heater when its 110 out side.Its a extra Radiator if i start to heat up in my motor.30 seconds is a life time to pull water away from a engine that is running 280 Degree's that heater core will get you home and you wont blow a head gasket.

Back to the choke I love it when its cold out side.I step on the gas 1 -2 times and pull it on the second pump fire up your truck some times you might need to adjust the choke cable to the sweet spot.Then i get out of my truck lock the doors and let her warm up for 5-9 mins.turn the heater on for the defroster trust me you step out of your house your cold you unlock your door open the door your hit with a mega heat wave.

You push the choke in and it ready to drive.One last thing make sure every day you pop the hood and check your fluids.These trucks are not like new car's and truck.Having a peace of mind knowing your all topped off.

Here is the choke cable i set have 1 more left

For give me my 1968 GMC suburban has a holly on it I will try and post some pics with the Edalbrock and Rochester and 1 bb and 2 bb carb's
Attached Images

Last edited by stsalvage; 04-02-2018 at 12:51 AM.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
dmjlambert

I can see the usefulness of a knob and cable like that to control stuff. Where do you get things like the little clamp that holds the outside of the cable, and the bracket and pivot that attach to the inner cable?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

ebay sells its on there carb linkage for the Edalbrock Hollie has it as well you have to do the looking.One guy asked me if i could supple it but it get a little expensive.Its like with everything out there you have to let your fingers do the walking I will see if i have a photo of the carb linage for the Edalbrock.I will have to try and get better pics of the bracket But to busy right now Just go on eBay look up choke cable bracket for Edalbrock carb's
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2018, 01:49 AM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

ok got the choke peace pictured for the edalbrock card for manual choke here are the pics
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2018, 01:02 AM   #8
faun_cee

UPDATE! Got my part from Ebay (costed $20) and put it in right away!
Before i get into this i should mention i am pretty sure my starter grounds were a little unstable; thats all over with now. The truck started right up and the carb was working out the way it should.
faun_cee is offline   Reply With Quote