The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
GSP7

Lifts

Im going to start keeping an eye out to buy a lift so time to research what I want.

I was thinking the 4 post ramp type. Then I noticed one of my friends has a nice 2 post

Anyway tell me about lifts. And how stable are the 2 post? Cable drive or what. Features to look for?

I'll need capacity for at least 1 ton trucks

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
wahl4m

Re: Lifts

i just bought an "ADVANTAGE" lift-4 post-11000 # and in real happy w/it !!! looked at several others- but the uprights have nice big locking notches ,with manual locking levers! the top ramps have a big piece of metal welded to the inner edges, to strengthen the top ramps-plus the rolling jacks has a nice edge for the rolling jack to travel ! the electric hyd. hoist works good ! but overall its made in chine BUT most welds look good! after getting it together i realized its missing the plastic drip pans -told them but they insist they was in package in shipment ???? there located out of the greater minneapolis minn. area -give them a call or e-mail
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

You opened up a can of worms on that question...been discussed a bunch on here..lots of opinions...its really all in how you plan to use it..I prefer the 2 post..easy access to all tire and suspension work as well as trans..rear..etc..can also be used to remove cabs, beds and such..I've even used mine to unload my trailer..I got mine from greg smith equipment..its a atlas 10k..extra wide , extra tall..very hapy with it..one of the best investments I've added to my shop..http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...IDE-EXTRA-TALL
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Advanced Design

GSP, how are you going to use the lift? What kind of work?

I really like my two post Rotary 10,000 lb lift. It is the same lift used in many dealerships and is a stable, quality piece.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:07 AM   #5
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
GSP, how are you going to use the lift? What kind of work?

I really like my two post Rotary 10,000 lb lift. It is the same lift used in many dealerships and is a stable, quality piece.
X2 on Rotary, have used in multiple shops, both two post & four post. Best you can get. My favorite is the SPAO10 - 10.000 # asymmetrical 2 post.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Bigdav160

Rotary two post at my house also. I find it much more versatile and takes up less space than a four post lift.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
rjordan

I have 4 Rotary asymmetrical 2 post lifts and 2 Challengers. I have been switching to Rotary as they wear out. I have a Rotary 4 post outside and it has been in service 9 years.
rjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
canuckian

I have a bendpak XPR10A 2 post and wish I'd have gotten one years ago. Makes so many tasks much more enjoyable and it's way easier on the back and joints than farting around with jacks and jack stands while crawling around on the floor.
IMHO, you can do more on a 2 post. If loaded right they're very stable. You can do a lot on a 4 post if you're creative and even more if you invest in bridge jacks but I find the ramps tend to get in the way depending on what you're doing. That being said, I will be adding a 4 post in the second bay of my shop and maybe a 4 post storage list in the attached garage to make more parking space.
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
cg285

24k western four post with air bag jacks front and rear, forward 10k extra high 2 post. forward is owned by rotary
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote