The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #1
wpavlis

Right tool for the job

If working on this truck has taught me anything, it's that having the right tool for the job can be invaluable. Tonight it was my impact wrench and a breaker bar. I picked up my impact wrench a while back and have used it a couple of times. Mostly it just saved me the trouble of wrenching on a somewhat tight bolt. Tonight however was different. I was pulling my track bar off and the bolts were a bit rusted. That impact took care of one bolt, and got the other started. Had to finish with the breaker bar. I probably could have done it with the breaker bar alone, but I sure was glad to have the impact. As I tear into the truck more I am certain it will come in handy again.

I am sure everyone has had a moment like this. When was the last time you were glad you had the right tool for the job?
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
truckster

Re: Right tool for the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpavlis View Post
When was the last time you were glad you had the right tool for the job?
Every single day. And I love finding new tools that make the job easier.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
GR8-68

Nothing like having the right tools for the job. And sometimes you have to buy the good ones to get the job done. I have learned that cheaper is not always better.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

I've been building my tools for over 40 years and always looking for the next specialty tool ,but it's also good to have a box of sacrificial wrenches that can be heated and bent to fit what your working on rather than tear up your good stuff . I can't tell you how many times I've used a electric 1/2" impact with the power inverter to change tires on trailers or that next project with flat tires found in a barn .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Sometimes the wrong tool is just what you need, when the right one won't do it. Nothing specific comes to mind, but some of you have been there, haven't you? Performing mechanical duties is not always a mechanical process. Meaning everything doesn't always do what it is supposed to...especially when it comes to disassembly. When it comes down to it, it takes whatever it takes to get it done and that can be who knows what. I guess that's how some of "the right tools" have come about.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
coreyjhen

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Sometimes the wrong tool is just what you need, when the right one won't do it. Nothing specific comes to mind, but some of you have been there, haven't you? Performing mechanical duties is not always a mechanical process. Meaning everything doesn't always do what it is supposed to...especially when it comes to disassembly. When it comes down to it, it takes whatever it takes to get it done and that can be who knows what. I guess that's how some of "the right tools" have come about.
I think my grandfather, who was a mechanical engineer, said it best: "Sometimes misapplication of the wrong tool is the perfect solution."
coreyjhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
LongBox

On the other hand, I have seen guys do major damage with tools such as an impact wrench. The most important tool you have when working on a vehicle is your brain. If something doesn't want to unfasten, better to think about why, rather than just putting brute force to it.

And, quality is important in tools, if for no other reason than for your own safety. Case in point, I bought an inexpensive 3/4 tp 1/2 inch adaptor. Use a 3/4 inch breaker bar, and the adaptor sheared. No one was hurt, but it could have been serious when the resistance on the bar suddenly disappeared. Took it back to the hardware, and exchanged it for the brand name one I shoulda bought in the first place.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
firedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I've been building my tools for over 40 years and always looking for the next specialty tool ,but it's also good to have a box of sacrificial wrenches that can be heated and bent to fit what your working on rather than tear up your good stuff . I can't tell you how many times I've used a electric 1/2" impact with the power inverter to change tires on trailers or that next project with flat tires found in a barn .
I broke down and bought a Makita cordless this year for the same purpose man that thing is handy
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I'm a bit spoiled, the company I work for provides me with a full truck to drive and use as I need outside of work, with a torch, air compressor, and almost every other tool you can think of. I've got a decent personal collection but nothing like what's on my truck. My expierwnce is the right tool is whatever it takes to get the job done.
Attached Images

‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 11-26-2016 at 08:14 PM.
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
davepl

"Tool's not right because the man's not bright". That's what I was taught!

I think for me it was my cheap hydraulic arbor press assembling the 9-inch rear end, pressing bearings on, taking my truck's rear springs apart, and so on. Just couldn't be done properly with a hammer.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I like any tool that takes the bang! bang! out of auto mechanics. Pressing is so much kinder than POUND THAT S.O.B. OUT!

Side note: I don't have a press

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Tquillen

Recently, I found myself making new brake lines for my '69 C10. In the past, I have used the typical double flaring tool available at every auto parts store across the nation. This time, I had ordered a new double flaring tool from BrakeQuip. The use of this tool, along with the copper-nickel brake line material, made the brake line job stress free and leak free, as well. Highly recommended!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpavlis View Post
When was the last time you were glad you had the right tool for the job?
Yesterday, while setting the timing & dwell.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Years ago I was trying to get the seat belts out of a truck and couldn't get them loose. I had this tool (impact wrench?) that you whacked with a hammer and it was supposed to free stuff like that up. No go. So I went out and bought an impact driver. Perfect tool for the job, but I never had a use for it again. Fast forward to me purchasing my K20 last winter from Livrat. The first upgrade I wanted to do was mag wheels. Finally got everything rounded up and went to install them. OMG, it was taking forever just for one wheel, the freaking lugnuts were super hard to get off with my faithful star wrench. A light bulb went off in my pea brain, I have an impact wrench and a set of impact sockets. Made for an easy peasy job.

Last edited by CG; 11-27-2016 at 12:37 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
davepl

That's another good one, the Mastercool hydraulic flaring set. If you've ever fought with the old wingnut-screw type deal, you'll love it. Best tool I've bought this year though it the SnapOn LED work light, actually. It's LED (I assume) but over a long strip so there's no single point-light to blind you, yet it's still very bright and lasts forever.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #16
earl84

2 things come to mind right away. I changed brake rotors on my girlfriend's Honda CR-V. They have a small screw that is used to hold the rotor on until you can get the calipers in place. Pretty handy except for the fact that Honda apparently doesn't put anti-seize on them and they are notorious for being a PITA to get out. I had an impact driver that got them off fairly easily. Thank goodness.
The second is that I am building a teardrop trailer. Lots of wood cutting, and I was doing without a table saw. I could make it work, but finally got to a point that I really figured it would make it easier for several things. Bought a Ridgid folding contractor saw, and it is pretty freakin' awesome.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #17
wpavlis

Great answers everyone! One of my other favorite tools is a special set of sockets I got for removing rounded damaged fasteners. I was pulling the inner fender off and a couple bolts were rounded off. Put those sockets on there and it spun right off. For once I was swearing for a good reason.
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote