The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #26
whitedog76

Re: Rivian truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I am not an electric vehicle fan. Im sure i will never own one.
But i really like the look of this. And the features,
Can i get one with a 502 BB Chevy in it? And some different wheels
Don't forget the Dana 60's and Super Swampers when you order it.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #27
Coley

Smile Re: Rivian truck

lol....quite the vehicle and quite the reaction from the forum members.
0-60 mph in 3 seconds?...what the?
That thing is seriously innovative for sure and by all appearances, was a fun project producing a fun vehicle. Lots of money and thought went into it...and the target audience was/is pretty clear.

The most entertaining thing tho'....was the introductory (youtube) video for it....that is pure gold.

Not one hardhat or red baseball cap for that matter, in the whole group there (lol)...but quite a few millennials, man buns and skinny jean folks.
I almost thought a protest was going to break out at any point...
Needless to say I didn't see anyone representing me or my demographic so I would like to comment on the lack of diversity within that contingent. (lol)
(.....just kidding of course................ or )

I got a kick out of the 'cargo talk'...."skateboards, snowboards, surfboards, strollers, suitcase, coolers".....you know, the whole gambit.
I didn't see any toolboxes or 2x4's either installed of removed during the whole the introduction of cargo ability despite the funky features.

The biggest issue I guess is referring to that vehicle as 'a pickup truck', which it is not.
The biggest hindrance to the truck moniker would probably be the reduced and thus un-useable (electric) range under load,....which would be those 'other' things rather than skateboards, coolers, strollers, etc. lol
ie: if you were pulling a trailer with cargo in it...say 5000 lbs, what would the range be?.....80 miles? 100 miles?....in Canada or the Northern U.S (in winter) probably 50 miles....which is a non-starter (literally).

That is an urban electric vehicle, very interesting, very innovative....but unlikely to gain much traction in the market, in my opinion.
I think the younger millennials would not buy it because of its size, etc...they would opt for the smaller vehicles.
The older generation (us) would not buy it because it would have little practical purpose relative to our needs ....and probably our pocket books.

Regardless, always interesting to see these things....and to see what is being experimented with.

...again tho', that video is golden, lol.

Favorite quotes (+/-):
"...it feels like I'm in the forest" (ie: the interior)
"...you can scroll through all the applications on the interface" (ie: the dashboard)
"....its going to be covered in mud, that's the goal" (ie: referring to off-roading the truck)
"...we have a host of interesting storage solutions in the back" (ie: referring to its cargo capability)

Ok, so some important questions:

-What is the price? (not optimistic or 'we hope to offer' stuff....what is the price?)
-How long does it take to charge this thing from zero-low charge or from medium and up? (1 hr? 8 hrs? 12 hrs overnight?)
-What does it need to charge this thing? (110 volt standard plug? specialized plug? specialized interface?...how many amps does the service need?)
-What is the anticipated life of the batteries under daily usage....say 40 miles a day and what is the replacement cost of the batteries?
-What is the recycling plan for the batteries that would be replaced?
....this info should be front and centre in my opinion for anything that is being marketed as 'the future' and certainly if the inference is that it is somehow going to help the environment.

Its great to see this stuff out there....it allows us to have good conversations as to where things are at vs. where they might be going....or not.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 01-07-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #28
Lokin4AReason

looks like a big ugly hero 6 on wheel(s) ....
these concept(s) or vehicle(s) are getting uglier each and every year
Old 01-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #29
jeffahart

Reconfigure to cab-over and increase the payload. Trucks are about payload and making them pay from utility. To me sport is a separate issue from utility.

j
Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #30
Grumpy old man

millennials designing trucks for other millennials ,What kind of response would someone expect from a bunch of guys (sans man buns ) devoted to classic trucks ? It's just not some of our idea of cool let alone useful . To each their own ,Some of us like tuning carbs and changing spark plugs .

Many of us aren't into brand new , I'm more interested in brand OLD .No computers ,no touch screens ,no electronics degree needed to rebuild them , Simple gas combustion !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 01-07-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #31
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I most likely would have never learned of this “truck” had I not click this thread.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #32
72c20customcamper

To each there own . I know people who have big ass trucks that never see so much as a few grocery bags in the bed the entire time they own it or more often lease them. Face it trucks ain't trucks no more to a large segment of the population. Alot of them use them a status symbols.

A lot of guys here use their trucks as trucks. But I'm sure there are a lot that dont. I put stuff in my 72 like parts going to a show swap meet. Would I get a yard of gravel hell no. I dont even do that anymore with my 3500 dodge. I have a dump trailer for that.

I'm not bashing anyone for how they use or what vehicle they own.

The Rivian will fit a certain segment of owners. Most likely urban . Little space in back that you dont need to worry about the potting soil bag ripping or whatnot.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 01-11-2019 at 11:13 AM.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #33
Coley

I would like to see a version of that truck with a 4 cylinder high-tech diesel.....I think that would be more likely to get it moving into the sales sphere.
If you get people hooked on the vehicle generally, while it is proving useful...then you could (possibly) introduce an electric option at some point once you've established a market.

Not saying that it would attract me as a buyer, but that would probably bring in a lot more buyers who require a more practical range regardless of conditions in a vehicle like that.

...fully agree tho', that the average full size 7ft high trucks rolling around cities these days aren't seeing much usage for actual daily work or load.
Which puts them in the same category as 4wd SUV's....unless you live in the Great Lakes rust belt in the winter.

Here around Victoria, I have to remember every few weeks to run my truck in 4wd for a mile or two just to keep it alive, lol....noting that we usually don't get much snow, if any.

Yep, to each his own but again, .....what it the anticipated selling price of the Rivian truck?....$100K? More than a Tesla?

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #34
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I would like to see a version of that truck with a 4 cylinder high-tech diesel.....I think that would be more likely to get it moving into the sales sphere.
If you get people hooked on the vehicle generally, while it is proving useful...then you could (possibly) introduce an electric option at some point once you've established a market.

Not saying that it would attract me as a buyer, but that would probably bring in a lot more buyers who require a more practical range regardless of conditions in a vehicle like that.

...fully agree tho', that the average full size 7ft high trucks rolling around cities these days aren't seeing much usage for actual daily work or load.
Which puts them in the same category as 4wd SUV's....unless you live in the Great Lakes rust belt in the winter.

Here around Victoria, I have to remember every few weeks to run my truck in 4wd for a mile or two just to keep it alive, lol....noting that we usually don't get much snow, if any.

Yep, to each his own but again, .....what it the anticipated selling price of the Rivian truck?....$100K? More than a Tesla?

All good
Coley
The anticipated price is 70,000 plus. I haven’t seen anything more concrete than that. They did say that they will build the high end models first. Makes sense, they got to make some money back. The price may be shocking, but have you been on a dealership lot lately?

When you look at vehicle sales, Ford sold over 900,000 last year, GM 800,000 ,Dodge 500,000, and then all the others. That’s just last year. Needless to say, there’s a whole bunch of trucks of all shapes and sizes out there. This truck is more of a mid-size, so it is going to be attractive to the Colorado or Ranger buyer.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #35
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
The anticipated price is 70,000 plus. I haven’t seen anything more concrete than that. They did say that they will build the high end models first. Makes sense, they got to make some money back. The price may be shocking, but have you been on a dealership lot lately?

When you look at vehicle sales, Ford sold over 900,000 last year, GM 800,000 ,Dodge 500,000, and then all the others. That’s just last year. Needless to say, there’s a whole bunch of trucks of all shapes and sizes out there. This truck is more of a mid-size, so it is going to be attractive to the Colorado or Ranger buyer.
Very interesting....70,000+, so let's go $75,000 for sure with taxes, maybe closer to 80K but definitely $75,000.

Now, somewhere in all that is a modern argument for this, otherwise they would have never taken all of this on.....but it is lost on me.
Perhaps its rooted in the demographic and marketing or something relating to the appearance of 'green' responsibility or perhaps government funding for transportation initiatives the embrace electric vs. the internal combustion engine.....I seriously don't know.
However, at $75,000....I, again.....simple don't get it but then again, I'm quite sure they aren't losing any sleep on not having me on board, lol.
Its an interesting test case either way and it will be interesting to check in on this vehicle over the next year? or two? or five? and see where it goes.

all good...and very interesting stuff.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #36
sick472

I'st a cool vehicle (I hesitate to call it a truck)! A Big Block would help. I think I could appreciate it more if it were camper shelled, but then i would be be a big SUV. That could be coo too!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #37
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
I'st a cool vehicle (I hesitate to call it a truck)! A Big Block would help. I think I could appreciate it more if it were camper shelled, but then i would be be a big SUV. That could be coo too!
They're working on that too.

BTW, Would a Big Block do a 3 second 0-60?
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

With all the good points made by Coley, which I agree 100% with, I see a very nice prototype/concept vehicle

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #39
whitedog76

They're a little further along than the concept stage right now. They already own a fully equipped factory.

Time will only tell.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #40
jeffahart

My thing is, if you're making an electric truck why not ditch the front hood. It's a shoe in for cabover. No heat no noise and you have the space. I don't get keeping the standard front hood configuration. Payload please! 4x4 with an amazing approach!

j
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #41
jeffahart

On second thought, I don't even think you could call it a cabover... cabover what?

j
Old 01-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #42
Coley

The cabover is a good point but it is a styling 'no-no' perhaps for a couple of reasons in my opinion:

1) the demographic that they are targeting do not want this to appear as a work or utility vehicle....so the appearance of a hood, front end ensures that it competes with the other vehicles in this class thru appearance.
(note: the only exception to this would be from Volkswagen redesigning their 60's VW vans with this appearance in a modern vehicle)
2) the extra storage available in the front end might be needed depending on how much space all the batteries are taking up on the lower side of the truck as well as the motors, etc.
ie: they simply might need the extra real estate to get all the electric stuff in there and still be able to store a few snow boards, wet suits, beard kits protest signs and game boy consoles.
(lol....just kidding about the last few items....or maybe not, lol)

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #43
jeffahart

I'm pretty big into style too, and it does drive my purchase big time. I bet they could make a cabover that looks better than that forced space age look. Anyone fleet purchasing probably wants the cargo space and payload.

That said, if there's no space for the protest signs then some safe space will need to be created instead. Don't worry, plenty of battery for the game pacifiers. I've been advocating for a comeback on paper sacks... so they have somewhere to stick their heads! Double bag please!

j
Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #44
garmar

I watched another video as well and I gotta say this is a cool truck. Charging stations will have to become more widespread before this is practical everywhere.
garmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #45
Coley

I have to chuckle a bit about the charging station stuff.

In Vancouver to promote EV sales they installed free charging stations downtown...and EV sales picked up of course.

Then after about 2 years the city said....ok, now its so many cents a watt or equivalent and all the EV jaws dropped with the free lunch being removed.
It turns out the charging costs were about to about 2/3 of the cost per litre (or gallon).

Well what is that saying "paradise found is paradise lost" I guess.

Its sort of like the push to put in solar panels and 'supposedly' get off the grid....or heavily (partially?) limit the paid hydro bill.
If everyone did that tomorrow (at least in Canada) and thus dropped the hydro billing to near zero...the government would scramble to bring in a solar tax to quickly get their income back.

Why?...those government buildings filled with government hydro workers want their pay, their vacations, their perks, etc....and the money needed to pay for that isn't about to stop regardless of what the public shifts to I think, lol.

So the point in this seemingly slow shift to EV's might be the exact thing the government wants....as they quietly slowly ramp up the equivalent costs for this technology...just on the clean side now, but no long term personal financial benefit. Sort of like the analogy of the boiling frog theory...lol

When all is said and done I still think the very best transportation method that was ever devised was probably the bike...not that I use mine much.

Regardless, the tech and innovation are interesting tho' either way...

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #46
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I have to chuckle a bit about the charging station stuff.

In Vancouver to promote EV sales they installed free charging stations downtown...and EV sales picked up of course.

Then after about 2 years the city said....ok, now its so many cents a watt or equivalent and all the EV jaws dropped with the free lunch being removed.
It turns out the charging costs were about to about 2/3 of the cost per litre (or gallon).

Well what is that saying "paradise found is paradise lost" I guess.

Its sort of like the push to put in solar panels and 'supposedly' get off the grid....or heavily (partially?) limit the paid hydro bill.
If everyone did that tomorrow (at least in Canada) and thus dropped the hydro billing to near zero...the government would scramble to bring in a solar tax to quickly get their income back.

Why?...those government buildings filled with government hydro workers want their pay, their vacations, their perks, etc....and the money needed to pay for that isn't about to stop regardless of what the public shifts to I think, lol.

So the point in this seemingly slow shift to EV's might be the exact thing the government wants....as they quietly slowly ramp up the equivalent costs for this technology...just on the clean side now, but no long term personal financial benefit. Sort of like the analogy of the boiling frog theory...lol

When all is said and done I still think the very best transportation method that was ever devised was probably the bike...not that I use mine much.

Regardless, the tech and innovation are interesting tho' either way...

All good
Coley
It's a political model.

Manufacture artificial scarcity.
Seize control of the commodity.
Create reliance on big G.
Implement: High Fees, Fines and Taxes.
Keep control at any cost.

The masses suffer.... but it's Caviar and Cigarettes for them!

It's like some kind of religion for politicians!

j
Old 01-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #47
whitedog76

The charging station issue has been a problem fo quite a while. Around here they have charging stations at grocery stores. I’ve even seen a Tesla charging station at Big R farm supply, which seems pointless. Anyone with an EV will tell you that charging them for a 20 minute shopping trip is pointless.

I’m a electrician by trade. I’ve worked on several hotel projects in the last decade or so. I have yet to see any hotel add an EV charging station. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Drive 200-300 miles, stop at hotel, let car charge overnight. Pretty simple concept.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #48
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
They're working on that too.

BTW, Would a Big Block do a 3 second 0-60?
The general public is too stupid to be driving anything that fast. Back in the day the fastest vehicles were built and driven by owners with enough sense to build it AND drive it. Off the shelf fast vehicles are a bad idea, IMO. Built not bought is where it's at.
Quote:
They're a little further along than the concept stage right now. They already own a fully equipped factory.

Time will only tell.
I realize they are developed and slated for production. My point was they make a better concept than practical for use vehicle and time will show a failure. I see a Bricklin or a Delorean. Concept vehicles that hit the hiways to fail.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #49
special-K
Special Order

Ok, just to show I'm not a completely close minded head stuck in the past old croney, I was searching for Corvettes converted to pickup (not too far off from this Rivian thing) and I came across this. If this is where trucks are headed in the future............ doesn't bother me a bit! Looks like it's made to haul, and that defines a truck in my eyes (or book )

Name:  tesla-semi-early-sketches-possibly-preview-design-of-tesla-pickup-truck_100633715_m.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  33.9 KB

BTW, I started a thread called "Not Just El Caminos" for pictures and discussion on other vehicles that also fit the "car vs truck" debate.

Tim

Old 01-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #50
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Ok, just to show I'm not a completely close minded head stuck in the past old croney, I was searching for Corvettes converted to pickup (not too far off from this Rivian thing) and I came across this. If this is where trucks are headed in the future............ doesn't bother me a bit! Looks like it's made to haul, and that defines a truck in my eyes (or book )

Attachment 1867043

BTW, I started a thread called "Not Just El Caminos" for pictures and discussion on other vehicles that also fit the "car vs truck" debate.
That strangely reminds me of a 65 Ford econoline pick up.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote