The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Coley

Smile Our Winter so far....Jan 2019

Lol, check it out.

Some of you may or may not know much about Victoria, B.C....we are just slightly northwest of Seattle on the Canadian side and over on Vancouver Island which is a relatively big island...about the size of Switzerland by area.

Like Seattle we have a pretty mild climate overall...prone to rain vs. snow.
Regardless, its been a pretty nice season here so far....some rain for sure a few weeks ago (no surprise) but on occasion some nice days.

Take for example yesterday...we were downtown driving around a bit and it was very mild for winter...almost 60° in the sun and shelter, which is pretty liveable....at least in January (ie winter)
I could easily have pulled the cover off my truck and had it out for a 'windows down' cruise, lol.....if it had been all set up for 'winter', oh well a few more months to go.

Here is a quick pic my wife took of an outdoor lunch/pub downtown and the outdoor patio in full swing.
Let's hope it continues!!...in about 5-6 weeks things usually start to improve pretty quickly and spring comes early here....at least for Canada.

All good
Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Our Winter so far....Jan 2019

-
We have had a pretty mild winter for Iowa so far. The thing is, here it can change to just the opposite pretty quickly.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Looks like a nice day.
I don’t know why, but when I think of Canada I have an image of the whole country covered in 5’ of snow for 9 months of the year.
Never been north of the border. Maybe one day.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Looks like a nice day.
I don’t know why, but when I think of Canada I have an image of the whole country covered in 5’ of snow for 9 months of the year.
Never been north of the border. Maybe one day.
Yep....its a stereotype that works quite well for us to keep the riff raff out, lol.
You hit the border and it starts to snow!....I guess its our (imaginary) wall or equivalent.

Our climate here in Victoria, B.C is pretty mild for Canada...and very similar to Seattle, as mentioned.
Its not uncommon here for us to not get any snow at all....including so far this year...although we did have some frosty mornings.

If all this climate change stuff works out (lol) we are going to be the next California and California will be the next Gobi desert, lol

...don't be me wrong tho', my roots are from the Canadian prairie and central eastern Canada (Ontario) so I have snow and cold resistance built in to me...never bothered me much even when I lived back east. I often prefer the cold, sunny days to the rainy cloudy ones.

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #5
'63GENIII

Ive been to Victoria (Island?) when I was 13 with my folks. Family road trip to Winlock, Washington. From what I remember, it was absolutely beautiful with very nice weather during the summer.

Id like to take a trip back up someday being older now. Looks awesome for winter weather!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Yep....its a stereotype that works quite well for us to keep the riff raff out, lol.
You hit the border and it starts to snow!....I guess its our (imaginary) wall or equivalent.
I blame these guys, ey? (You knob)

Name:  Screen-Shot-2017-06-03-at-12.40.59-PM-e1496519286772.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  29.0 KB

We HAD been mild this winter till last Wed when three days of air from the other Canada, Albert, blew in. Then came that storm that came across the nation from off the CA coast... 8". Nov was as cold as Jan is now. But, Dec and start of Jan barely had a freeze a couple nights. This morning it is 10 deg. and they were calling for 18-20.

I parked the truck for the winter in Nov after our first (and only till now) snow. Then, after we had a couple hard rains, it hit me "I can drive my truck!". Drove it right up till last Wed, Jan 10 a new record (since I drove them year 'round years ago). I did have a couple winter drivers since, but even that has been over 15 years now.

Last Feb I went with a friend down below Richmond, VA to a truck and tractor museum. Going down I-95 we had our windows rolled down. On our way back home we stopped in Fredericksburg and ate outside on the patio in t-shirts at night, and this is a low area along a river... the dampest coolest area.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Ive been to Victoria (Island?) when I was 13 with my folks. Family road trip to Winlock, Washington. From what I remember, it was absolutely beautiful with very nice weather during the summer.

Id like to take a trip back up someday being older now. Looks awesome for winter weather!
This was weird to read, who goes to Winlock? I lived there for awhile as a kid. I believe I was in 1st grade-ish. A couple of my uncles graduated HS there.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Smile Re: Our Winter so far....Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
This was weird to read, who goes to Winlock? I lived there for awhile as a kid. I believe I was in 1st grade-ish. A couple of my uncles graduated HS there.

I do Mark .......... been to Winlock quite a few times .. been to a couple car shows there.. nice old logging town .. I did live about 35 miles from Winlock..

As for the weather here in Nampa Idaho ,,it never snows more that 5-6 inches anyways since I been here for 6 years.. 2 years ago we had snow that turned to solid ice and graders had to grade the streets and that was not fun to clear off the drive way entrances .,but this year only 1 inch of snow once, ,it is 27 degrees this morn and it but the sun comes out and it is still cold but nice and dry ..
Old 01-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
blazer2007

It seems real mild in all of B.C. we have just a skiff of snow and staying around the freezing mark and further north where I grew up is only 4 below when it should be 20 -30 below
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Yeah, no one really picks it as a destination unless you have family there. My mother's entire family has lived there for many years. AFAIK most of the Bremgardners still live there.

[QUOTE=GOPAPA;8443776]I do Mark .......... been to Winlock quite a few times .. been to a couple car shows there.. nice old logging town .. I did live about 35 miles from Winlock..

Yes, small town. Everyone knew each other. My family, after they sold the big ranch went to work for the logging and paper mill businesses. I don't think there's much of either around there anymore.

Last November, on a drive back from Seattle I stopped in Winlock and took a pic for my Mom. It was a little strange showing it to her as she has dementia and didn't really understand when the pic was taken.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 01-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
Greg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
We have had a pretty mild winter for Iowa so far. The thing is, here it can change to just the opposite pretty quickly.

LockDoc
Same here! The old timers say, "don't like the weather? wait a day"

Every time we get a bad winter storm, they blame Canada!
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #12
Redneck Rydes

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I blame these guys, ey? (You knob)

Attachment 1865024

We HAD been mild this winter till last Wed when three days of air from the other Canada, Albert, blew in. Then came that storm that came across the nation from off the CA coast... 8". Nov was as cold as Jan is now. But, Dec and start of Jan barely had a freeze a couple nights. This morning it is 10 deg. and they were calling for 18-20.

I parked the truck for the winter in Nov after our first (and only till now) snow. Then, after we had a couple hard rains, it hit me "I can drive my truck!". Drove it right up till last Wed, Jan 10 a new record (since I drove them year 'round years ago). I did have a couple winter drivers since, but even that has been over 15 years now.

Last Feb I went with a friend down below Richmond, VA to a truck and tractor museum. Going down I-95 we had our windows rolled down. On our way back home we stopped in Fredericksburg and ate outside on the patio in t-shirts at night, and this is a low area along a river... the dampest coolest area.
Hows it goin EH, don't be a hoser
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #13
jeffahart

We went to Butchart Gardens on our honeymoon, it was in the month of Sept. I rebelled against tropical vacations and told my wife Canada and Beer is the place for us. Ha Ha. We took a two week trip. Flew into Seattle and rented a Ford Explorer and drove through the Cascade mountains to Banff, Jasper, we stopped and played on the athabasca glacier, drove on to Vancouver then to Victoria. It really was a relaxing and fun road trip. Keep meaning to get back up that way.

Enjoy the nice weather!

j
Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
In The Ten Ring

Usually I want a long, cold winter with many named storms. This winter, I want to be more mild.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #15
72c20customcamper

Been a strange winter so far. 8 inches of snow in November and 8° on Thanksgiving. Then it got warmer . My vehicles are all put away except our everyday drivers. Still have had a dusting here and there . And some freezing rain so there's plenty of salt on the road.

But that should change this week and weekend . Couple of storms and the weekend one looks to be a good one. Plows on the truck and chains on the kubota
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 AM   #16
'63GENIII

[quote='63GENIII;8443814]Yeah, no one really picks it as a destination unless you have family there. My mother's entire family has lived there for many years. AFAIK most of the Bremgardners still live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I do Mark .......... been to Winlock quite a few times .. been to a couple car shows there.. nice old logging town .. I did live about 35 miles from Winlock..

Yes, small town. Everyone knew each other. My family, after they sold the big ranch went to work for the logging and paper mill businesses. I don't think there's much of either around there anymore.

Last November, on a drive back from Seattle I stopped in Winlock and took a pic for my Mom. It was a little strange showing it to her as she has dementia and didn't really understand when the pic was taken.

To get back onto Victoria though, a few years back, the Wife and I had talked about going with the kids. Id love to see it again that's for sure.

Around the same time that we were talking about the trip, a friend of ours with an, ahem, lets just say a less than stellar past took a road trip with his family to Canada and was turned away at the border by Customs for a DUI in his past. They said his wife and kids could come in but he had to wait outside . Apparently they were real nice about it too (which makes it even funnier because this guy can be a jerk).

I got online and looked it up and sure enough, our neighbors to the North (Coley) definitely frown on the drinking and driving no matter when it occurred. Kinda derailed my plans as I got into a little trouble myself 29 years ago. We haven't spoken about going since but in the back of my mind, Id like to go there again one day.

As far as weather goes, we have it pretty good here. Probably be raining for the next few weeks on and off. I had heard reports that we may get near 4-5" in the next few days but you really never know. Could be 80 degrees and sunny by the weekend!

And the picture for me Ma..
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 01-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Unbelievably rigid on PAST DUI! That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a good while. I can maybe see it if it were a recent occurance, but there is a concept known as reform and the state is involved in instituting such programs. Don't they believe in their system? Aren't fines and other forms of penalty meant to teach a lesson in hopes of preventing future incident from that person? There are repeat offenders who obviously have a drinking problem, and they need help of another sort. Usually heavy amount of alcohol, caused an accident, or erratic unsafe driving. They are the problem. There are those who never drink more than two on occasion, turn down offers to "Go ahead, have another" that are barely over the limit who got snagged at a DUI checkpoint, and were otherwise driving fine. Sorry for the rant. Like I said, ridiculous.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
geezer#99

There’s ways around it!
Do a little research instead of ranting.
http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/

While it was nice when Coley took the pics, now we’re socked in with fog.
That’ll change.
Rain in the forecast.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
There’s ways around it!
Do a little research instead of ranting.
http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/
I certainly would as part of any plan to cross into Canada, a nation I have great respect for. I don't generally research posts I reply to, do you? I trust in Gen III. I'm sure he will appreciate the info you have offered.

Tim

Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
Grumpy old man

Denied entry to Canada for a past DUI ? Even as a passenger ? Last time I looked they have no border wall so you may just want to hike around the "gate" once on the other side I imagine you'll look just like any other tourist ? They might just offer you free housing /medical and an education ? I've heard those type of things happen in other countries ??

Cold/grey here in Knoxville area this week , Mid 60's on Sat changing to cold rain to snow 15 degrees on Sun night.

It will take 3 hrs with the heat blasting to get all the metal in my shop warm enough to spray primer today .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #21
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I tried going to Canada once and was turned around due to a DUI twenty years prior. I was looking to pur hase a vacation home. After some research I might have been able to get permission to enter but it would cost $4500. Needless to say I bought a cabin here. On a side note we let Justin Bieber stay and he's had more legal problems than you can shake a stick at...I say we throw send him home...lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #22
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I certainly would as part of any plan to cross into Canada, a nation I have great respect for. I don't generally research posts I reply to, do you? I trust in Gen III. I'm sure he will appreciate the info you have offered.
No rant here. Gotta kind of admire a country that sticks to their guns. I also did a little research years ago and did see that there are a few different ways to approach gaining permission . Not bitter at all. The DUI was my monkey and my circus.

My friend is a bit of a jackwagon so it was kind of humorous to hear that Customs politely told him to "beat it".

Thanks for the info Geez and K!

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #23
Coley

The border is an interesting thing....in both directions, into Canada or into the U.S
The DUI thing is no surprise...similar to if you had a pot conviction from the 70's or 80's...you couldn't enter the U.S. because it would show up.
Both the U.S and Canada Customs play by the same song book on this kind of stuff....and when they run that passport, they can tell what you had for dinner last week

I cross the border several times a year...no problem, but its pretty simple...if you have a police record its a no go....and I assume that a police record is only attached to something being a felony vs. infraction or a misdemeanor...at least that's my guess, I'm certainly no lawyer.

Same thing even for flying 'thru' the U.S onto somewhere.
They will stop you at the airport even if you are on your way to Mexico or wherever......so the point is I guess, to keep your nose and record clean.
Your passport tracks you for them so if you check in Stuttgart or London or Paris on your way to....Hawaii or South America and you are going to do a plane change in Chicago or Seattle or Atlanta, wherever.....that passport is ensuring they know who you are, what flight you are on......and as I said, what you had for dinner last week, lol....and if you've been up to something, they are happy to offer their special limo service at the Airport exit gate, lol

Given the new liberal pot laws that are all over the place this is pretty controversial around the border....lol, in both directions. The warning signs for being clean and staying clean at the border are pretty clear and available. What you do on either side, is apparently not a problem tho'.

As for Victoria, the big advantage for visiting Victoria these days is the value of the U.S vs. Canadian Dollar.....you are picking up over 30% advantage on everything...your hotel, food, shopping, etc. The U.S buck continues to be the financial standard....lol.
So its like a 24/7 'Black Friday' sale, lol

all good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 01-16-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #24
72 tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
No rant here. Gotta kind of admire a country that sticks to their guns. I also did a little research years ago and did see that there are a few different ways to approach gaining permission . Not bitter at all. The DUI was my monkey and my circus.

My friend is a bit of a jackwagon so it was kind of humorous to hear that Customs politely told him to "beat it".

Thanks for the info Geez and K!
I think of this when I hear “jackwagon”. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfmVBmDKLZI
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
jeffahart

When I went to Canada on my honeymoon we drove right in. I had no passport nor did my newly minted wife. We entered somewhere east cascades, not sure where! We had no hotel reservations either. We just decided to make a loop trip and decided if we like a place we could spend a few days if not we could leave. I thought I would spend a couple days in Jasper, it was a one niter.

I guess I still had an American military attitude. Traveled all over Europe with no passport, just my military ID and USAREUR drivers license. I also have been to Mexico, I can't tell how many times, and a passport never even crossed my mind. I haven't been to Mexico for a few years though.

j