The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #176
buffydores

Re: 78 2wd Blazer - LS Swap and more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
Is it the tape that came from LMC with the molding or different tape? I just want to do it right the first time! I know, novel concept.. hahaha
Poop. Can't remember. I want to say it was a 3M product, not the LMC stuff. I would always lean 3M, all things considered. Maybe someone else can pipe up.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #177
dec010974

Ccool. It was very entertaining to read this build thread. i may seal an idea or two. Enjoy the blazer.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #178
dec010974

Cool. It was very entertaining to read this build thread. I may steal an idea or two. Enjoy the blazer.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #179
PEDROSKI

Do the center white stripe before adding the trim so you don't have to "fight" the trim.

86 c10 "Red",76 2wdK5 "Bertha",77 2wdK5 "48",79 c10"Buster" GONE
PEDROSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #180
phillipm

You know I don't know if I want to do the white or not, I really cannot decide. It would be vinyl just like the rest of the truck so it wouldn't be hard to tuck it under the lip of the trim later.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #181
OutlawDrifter

Quote:
You know I don't know if I want to do the white or not, I really cannot decide. It would be vinyl just like the rest of the truck so it wouldn't be hard to tuck it under the lip of the trim later.
The full two tone would look awesome. But having the trim alone will look good.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #182
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
The full two tone would look awesome. But having the trim alone will look good.
Yeah I think I'll take it to the brother's show at the end of June like this and have a look there at some of the other trucks. Really appreciate you're guys opinions. Thx!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #183
phillipm

I know I'm slow as I really only get to work about 12 hours a week on the Blazer, but man, installing this trim is taking WAY longer than I expected!!

I also learned that the 2-sided tape that ships with the trim from LMC is absolute junk. Even using adhesion promoter the side pieces were still falling off. I went to Home Depot and grabbed some 3M Extreme Bond tape and so far so good! Worst part is getting the old tape off of the clips on the trim. I've been using a razor blade and adhesive remover to get them off but it's a slow process.

Here is where I'm at after about 5 hours of work so far... I'd say the only thing saving my back is our 4 post lift! Being able to set the truck at a height you can drill and work standing straight up is a life saver!!

Last edited by phillipm; 09-21-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #184
phillipm

Moved on to the driver's side. Definitely going quicker on this side!

Also spent some time really dialing in the up and down alignment on the tailgate. It was working just fine and the window fit great, however, the passenger side was up about 3/16" higher than it should of been. Really just fine tuning everything at this point in prep for installing the rear tailgate trim.

Last edited by phillipm; 09-21-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #185
phillipm

Well just down to a couple screws as well as the two final tailgate bands. I also got my seat bottoms back and they've been modified to have some bolsters now. Really ready to put the seats back together and get this bad boy over to the a/c shop for a charge!

Old 05-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #186
phillipm

Well I'm sure everyone is probably pretty bored of seeing trim installation pictures so here is the final one! We were able to get the rear tailgate pieces installed yesterday. This finally completes that project. Took me 3 like freakin weeks to get them all on but it's a much larger job than i even initially anticipated. That's for sure.

After that we moved on and got the front seats reassembled. That's not a tough job but it definitely takes 2 people to make it manageable.. Really happy with the change. I know it's subtle, in fact most people wouldn't have noticed but when sitting in them you now have a supportive feeling on your thighs and it's not like your sitting on a flat bench anymore. Here is a little before and after side by side as well.

After that we moved on and got the original style wiper blades installed. I can't tell you how much having aftermarket black blades on there upset my soul. It just looked so wrong. I need to get the drivers side arm dropped down one notch but you can see the change.

Just waiting on a few more things to come in. Also need to get it realigned after installing the new tubular CPP lower arms and get the AC charged with 1.8lbs of 134A. After that a window tint job before summer and he should be ready to go! I just realized I need to finish painting the lettering on the tailgate too! Haha. Darn, things never end.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #187
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Are you bringing it out to LS fest in Las Vegas this weekend?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #188
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Are you bringing it out to LS fest in Las Vegas this weekend?
Really wanted to, but it's my Wife's birthday this weekend and she didn't think that sounded as fun as I did. Ha-ha. I am planning on being at the Brother's show in CA with it at the end of June though.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #189
Jacobsonz

Quote:
Okay we started getting the cargo interior items buttoned up. Starting to get a good idea of what it will look like, and we're pretty happy with it. This week need to finish up wiring the fuse panel under the hood and we really need to get the windows back in it so we can final fit the doors and fenders.

did those rear interior panels come with the blazer when you bought it, or did you find them somewhere online? trying to replace my originals but these are hard to find. Thanks!
Jacobsonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #190
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsonz View Post
did those rear interior panels come with the blazer when you bought it, or did you find them somewhere online? trying to replace my originals but these are hard to find. Thanks!
Yeah they sure are hard to find. These are my factory originals that came with the truck. So I won't be of any help I apologize.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #191
phillipm

After only driving the Blazer a few times really, and I've already come to realize that rolling down the back window manually sucks. If you've got something in your hand it's made even worse as you fling that handle around and around only after awkwardly fumbling to get the thing unlocked if you've done so.. After reading nothing but horror stories about 40 year old motor/cable/transmissions not working right I decided to give the guys at Nu-Relics a call. Dusty there was super nice. He explained that while they are unable to provide a all new solution, if I sent him a power regulator he would modify it with a reliable motor on regulator design he's come up with over the years.

What I got back is nothing short of awesome! They hot dipped and stripped my regulator, replaced the original transmission with a new welded on adapter ring and then mounted the new style motor right to the regulator. After that they cleaned and even painted it as well as replaced both rollers for me. It wasn't inexpensive by any means but it was the do it once and hopefully not worry about it again solution!

Here are a couple pics of it when I opened up the box last night..

Wish I would have taken a before picture but I didn't. Just imagine a nasty grimy piece that you definitely didn't want to handle without gloves on. It had broken rollers and a broken cable transmission. Now I've got this bad boy! Really looking forward to getting the harness run and wiring it up.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #192
buffydores

Quote:
Now I've got this bad boy! Really looking forward to getting the harness run and wiring it up.
Definitely wire up a switch for the dash. It's like heaven.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #193
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
Definitely wire up a switch for the dash. It's like heaven.
Most definitely will be doing that! However because I don't feel like cutting a square hole in my freshly painted dash I'll be mounting a toggle underneath in the driver's side so I can easily reach it when standing outside the truck as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #194
phillipm

Well this is it guys! Finally drove the Blazer home over the weekend. First time since taking it to Vegas back in November. It's been a lot of work to make the necessary changes and though it doesn't look much different other than the moulding on the outside this thing is flat out awesome around town as well as on the highway now. The new CPP lower control arms couples with the new Lee Engineering built steering gear is just awesome. It handles great and the feel in the wheel is just like a new truck. Seats are amazing and sit up nice in the vehicle, plus the new Vintage Air was blowing 36* out of the vents with enough volume that you could easily feel it in the back seat with the deflectors positioned straight and angled up for best reach. I haven't begun to tackle the rear power window kit but of course when I do I will post that up.

Last edited by phillipm; 09-21-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #195
OutlawDrifter

Looks great!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:02 AM   #196
wazzabie

who did you have do the rear seat? that turned out great
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #197
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
who did you have do the rear seat? that turned out great
I had a local guy do it. He works out of his garage at night on projects for me. If you're in Phoenix and want to use him PM me and I'll share his contact info. That's for anyone in the area. He's out on the west side of town near Surprise.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #198
phillipm

Had a weird thing happen last night. I say it's weird because before tearing it apart we had driven this to Vegas and back so really thought all was well in this department.

Yesterday I was making some changes to the transmission tune and noticed the A/C got warm, then I heard the safety switch cutting the compressor off. Hopped out there and noticed the fans we'rent on. Checked the fuse real quick and all was fine there. Reached down and moved the harness around for the fans and saw it spark and smoke some as they came on!

Got lucky that it was only a high in the 80s yesterday so I decided to unplug them and make the 25 mile drive back to our shop after work. Made it about 90% there before having to pull over and open the hood for a few minutes. After that I only had to shut it off at 1 stop light and then made it in. Which was suprising as it's like 20 stop lights along the route. Figured out that the ground wire had somehow built up a bunch of resistance and completely melted the Metri Pack 630 housing and melted the wire jacket right off of it. Ended up redoing the grounding strategy and should be good to go now.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #199
phillipm

Here is what I did with the ground circuit. I pulled it back out of the harness and went straight to the chassis. We got a little out of hand with the paint stripping so I need to touch that back up, however that's just an update to how I reworked it.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #200
dragonball98312

The trim sets it off nicely
dragonball98312 is offline   Reply With Quote