The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Matt_50

Front suspension swap

I need some advice.

Here's what I have. 1984 c10. I've replaced most of the front end and I plan to use the IFS, power steering, disc brakes, and 5 lug wheels I put it all on my 1950 3100. As well as use the 350 motor and th350 trans.

My "shop" is my backyard. To pull an engine requires lifting engine and rolling vehicles around. Not fun. Plus when I'm done with my donor c10 I need to haul it out. For 50 bucks I picked up a 60s front end. If it was to be road worthy it would need a lot of work, but I just need wheels on the c10 when I use the good IFS.

At first I thought I'd just swap everything from crossmember to crossmember. Looks like it would all swap...though the u bolts on lower control arms look smaller on my 50 dollar front end... anyways with only a handful of bolts holding it in place I figured a full swap would be easiest. I can't jack up the engine from underneath if I'm pulling front end. I'm thinking jack up the engine with a jack and a piece of 2x4 or use the hoist and then use a support bar across the top of the fenders. Then I have the room to move the front end out.

Any thoughts? I'm worried cause the engine mounts are on frame and on the crossmember. Anyone done any front end swaps on a c10?

Since I'm in the backyard I do not want to tank the drivetrain out and have it sit on the ground for who knows how long, so I want to keep in truck. Plus I can roll truck around and hide on side of house until I'm ready for next phase.
Attached Images

Matt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Front suspension swap

if I'm reading correctly your planning on putting the 84 c10 in a 1950 3100...its gonna be to wide for a AD truck..

but if your removing the front end why not just go ahead and pull engine and trans..if your goanna use in it the other truck....but if your not worried about fender damage you could support engine like you asked..

Last edited by mongocanfly; 09-02-2017 at 09:12 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Matt_50

Yes it will be a little wide but I've talked to others and seen their trucks and I like the look and the parts are free. I may just be being paranoid but I don't want to pull the engine and trans and just cover them with a tarp for who knows how long it'll take me to swap it in. If I had a proper shop I would but I don't want to leave it all outside you know. I'm trying to be realistic and know I'm not gonna have the engine in in just a few days...lol my timing on replacing the rusted floor was weeks off for example.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Matt_50

How about treating it like a motor mount replacement? I'm thinking maybe a floor jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan... I thought maybe just undo the bolts holding the motor mount bracket to the crossmember but... should I bring floor jack up to pan, then undo motor mount bolts altogether , then jack up just enough, inch or so, to pick up the weight?

My jack has never failed, but if it did now...and I need the front clear to pull out the suspension..how should I brace it? 4x4 across the board under engine with a couple of jack stands? Or should I stick with my first idea of a support bar across top of fenders?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:10 AM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I think on top would be best..that way the support will be outta your way
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote