The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
bowt1ed

1 Piece Window Window Conversion for TF

Hey guys,
I have searched under a few of the past threads on it, but never found a good resolution or reasonable product. Anyone find a good 1 piece window conversion for the TF? I read how a few had issues with Brother's, but any good ones, preferably electric? Thanks.

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 1 Piece Window Window Conversion for TF

Past up a lunch and read this, the mother of all TF one piece window conversion threads. Also has links to the videos. I followed the instructions and the mock up worked fine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=366078&page=6
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
bowt1ed

Thanks OrrieG. Yep - saw those before, but couldn't open them w/ongoing to YouTube first. Just watched all five. Doesn't seem too difficult - just wish someone had a complete kit that netted the same results. Reconsidering staying with the vent now.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
scoveny91

when i bought my '57, the last owner had converted to 1 piece windows but it was a pretty terrible fit. the window was too short and too narrow. this resulted in a very loose fit and it constantly required me to guide it with my free hand when rolling up or down. my fix is going to be throwing the current glass into the nearest lake and getting glass cut to fit by an auto glass shop. should be about $125 per window.
scoveny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
OrrieG

I used the templates in the thread I posted, made out of 1/4" masonite for mock up. I got a pair of tinted ones from a member that came in a Brothers kit and they matched the template right on. you might try doing the same with masonite to make sure the glass guys only have to cut it once.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
mdpaulson1

I found this place, looks like they have every kind of option. Haven't used them, not quite there yet

http://www.classictruckglass.com/index.php/about-us/
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

I don't know why Brothers gets a bad rap. Mine work perfectly. The ONLY thing I had to do was make new templates of Masonite(like Orrie) to fit the chop top. Fine tuned the template, had the glass cut and, like I said, they work flawlessly. There was an early thread about the Brothers kit not having a new front guide, but mine did and it worked just like the template in the instructions said it would.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #8
bowt1ed

Thanks all.

Speedbumpauto - so the kit you got from Brothers did have a new front guide? I assume they included directions on new placement for it? Seems that is the main issue with their kit, at least what they did sell when then posts we're put out. Anyone else have recent experience with them?

Cheers, Jim
Old 04-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Speedbumpauto

Correct. The instructions detail how to mate the new guide to the door channel. The only down side is the channel matches the door in width and there isn't readily available track/felt in that width. you have to offset the track/felt to one side or the other so there's an eighth inch or so gap that needs to be filled. I opted for the gap to be on the inside and filled it with black silicone adhesive, I think. My thinking was it's much harder to see any gap from the inside, especially after the trim is installed, than it is to see a gap from the outside...which is where most people look. I think the finished product supports my decision. Others may "see" it differently. My glass guy said the old, wide felt wasn't available anymore.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
OrrieG

Sounds like Brother's took the critical comments to heart and improved their kit. Kudos to them.