The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
88k5jimmy

Porterbuilt extreme rear dropmember install fitment issues (64 C10)

Already sent PB an email but it's the weekend and I wanted to put a post on here to see if any of you guys had similar issues. I'm putting an extreme rear dropmember w/trailing arms on a 1964 C10 long step side frame, originally equipped w/trailing arms. The order was specifically placed that way, with inboard bags and trailing arms, so as far as I know there were not any miscommunications at the time of ordering. I started to place the drivers side rear notch on the frame and like the install guidelines say, I had to trim the frame a little to get the notch to fit over the frame rails without spreading. However, there are a few discrepancies between where the guidelines say to center the notch and the measurements of my frame. For instance the guidelines say to measure 25.25" from the third bed mount from the cab for a step side bed and that puts the center of the notch even with the middle rivet hole of the bumpstop bracket. However on the following pages of the guidelines, its says for a step side bed to align the center of the notch with the front rivet bumpstop hole, thus the discrepancy between measuring and just lining the center of the notch up with the bumpstop hole. I first tried lining up the center of the notch with the front rivet bumpstop hole and this was the result. As you can see the notch does not fit tight to the top of the frame, nor to the side of the frame. The rear portion of the notch actually rests on the frame where the caps will end up going and the rear portion of the notch does not follow the contour of the frame.

Drivers looking to front:

Drivers rear portion of notch:

Drivers rear portion inside looking to rear:

Drivers looking to rear:

Drivers front portion looking to rear:

Drivers rear portion looking to front:

Drivers front portion inside looking to front:

I decided to tap the notch farther back to the 25.25" from the third bed mount, which centered the notch with the center bumpstop rivet hole and it seemed to fit a little better but didn't completely sit flush with the frame on top of the frame or on the sides, however it did even out the gaps the notch was off some. So for arguments sake, I tapped the notch even farther to center the notch with the rear bumpstop rivet hole and that seems to even out the notch more on the top of the frame rail to sit flush, however it is still sits off the frame on the outside and is not flush with the outer frame rail.

I then got the other notch out and began comparing between the two and it appears to me the passenger notch was assembled incorrectly. If you look at the install guidelines and other build threads, the top notch plates where the bolts go are symmetrical from driver to passenger and as you can see in the pics, the passenger side inner and outer notch pieces and top frame rail plates look like the should be on the drivers side, almost like they were bent the wrong direction upon assembly.

You can see the front portion of the passenger notch would require a substantial amount of the frame to be trimmed to fit. What do you guys think??
88k5jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: Porterbuilt extreme rear dropmember install fitment issues (64 C10)

Ross-

That passenger side notch is definitely not assembled correctly.

I did receive your email, and will be following up shortly.

I apologize for the inconvenience, we definitely should have caught that before it was welded up and shipped out.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
88k5jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFAB.COM View Post
Ross-

I apologize for the inconvenience, we definitely should have caught that before it was welded up and shipped out.

Nate
Thanks

I received your up email and sent you a reply. I would also like to discuss the notch placement and few other technical questions I have.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
88k5jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFAB.COM View Post
Ross-

Nate
Nate

Please contact me regarding our most recent conversations. I've tried emailing and haven't received a response.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:42 AM   #5
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Its interesting this has popped up now, I have been having VERY similar issues with some wrong parts shipped out and am getting what is looking to be the 'run around'.

It is very unfortunate, please update this thread if you do make some headway.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
88k5jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Its interesting this has popped up now, I have been having VERY similar issues with some wrong parts shipped out and am getting what is looking to be the 'run around'.

It is very unfortunate, please update this thread if you do make some headway.
The wrong/incorrectly made part above has been remedied however there have been other issues with received parts that needed correcting or modifying to fit my particular application.