The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
72bigred

1960 Torsion bar removal

Hi all I just wanted to get a clear answer on this one, I have done some research and get a couple of different answers.

Recently started on a 1960 c10 for the wife.. I am going to stay with the torsion bar set up but going to go with a 2 1/2 drop spindle. When I lower her down with the adjustment screws there still seems to be alot of tension on the torsion bars making me not want to totally release them. I know there are tools for the newer style bars (C clamp basicly). Is this needed on the 60? I have heard some say no by the time I hit bottom I should have no tension while other say I need the tool.. If I do not need the tool why would it seem I still have some tension.. It appears if I let them loose they will go flying. New to this suspension so would rather be safe than sorry.. TIA

Skez
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Re: 1960 Torsion bar removal

In my own experiance with t-bars, I just backed them all the way off and was able to remove the bar with no tension. I alway unload the suspension by jacking up and blocking the truck, then unload the adjusters. Maybe I have just had good luck that way, but I have the tool and have never used it. Hope that answers your question.

New updated stuff at www.kdrodworks.com
My site still needs help, web guys and gals pm me.

the best guys in the whole world:
sweet70beast, jonzcustomshop, runninlow, captainfab, and the one I havent met yet, joe231
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
72bigred

Ya I have her blocked up on the frame with the front end hanging nice, have my ajustment bolts almost out and it still appears that if I pull them something is going to let loose.. I wonder if someone has spun them around or something to get different tension?? So I still have a load on them?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
rss396

I do not have an answer for you but a question. I have a 1961 with the torsion bars cranked down as far as I dare go. This causes the blocks that are on the end of the bars to drag (hard at times) when I go in and out of parking lots. If I were to install drop spindles this problem would be much worse. Are you going to have the same issue? Or do you have a way to deal with it?
1968 Camaro SS 396 / 502
rss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
72bigred

The drag is what will be avoided going with a drop spindle, some like yourself lower with the T-bar adjustment, if you put drop spindles on unless you want to try and lay it on the ground you can then keep a decent adjustment on the T-bars to avoid the drag. Basicly what I am doing is using the drop spindles to get my 2.5 drop and will have my T-bars adjusted just about where they are stock. I would just swop over to a later model cross member but I would like to keep the torsion but would like disc and some drop.

It really depends on how low you really want to go, I am looking for around a 3 inch drop in the front so I will get 2.5 out of spindles and the rest from the T-bars. With the tire size I am going to run I hope to be just where I want. The T-bars can almost give me that but I want to avoid the drag like you are getting. From what I have seen anyone that has went lower swopped the front to a coil set up from a later model and went with bags/drop springs/drop spindles depending on taste.

My main problem is I need to drop mine or at the very least get them to release tension to install the spindle/ball joints. Some state like KDrod that he backed his off far enough he had no tension.. I myself still have quite a bit of tension and a few more threads and mine would be off.. How much tension do I have?? I am not sure and I really dont want to let them fly. I am wondering if someone has spun the rod in the past giving it more tension or if that is even possible, I read someplace it was?? Again I am not sure and dont want to just let them fly.

PS: I love your hood! I have been searching for an early hood for awhile.. Outside of big bucks on ebay I figure I am out of luck

Last edited by 72bigred; 08-15-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
rss396

I would like my truck sit much lower however I am not planning on spending too much money on this project because of my other projects. I will most likely do what you plan to do install drop spindles so I can get the blocks up higher and still have the ride height I have now.

When I bought this truck last year the cab was painted but the hood was not. I bought a 66 hood and was going to paint and install it. The guy I bought the 66 hood from said he would like to buy my 61 hood and would decent money for it because it was in very good condition. That got me thinking and I started looking at photos of 60 and 61 trucks with the stock hoods and began to like them. I sold the 66 hood and painted my stock hood and installed. I have really grown to like them. Most people either really like them or hate them. Either way they really take a look at the truck. I have seen a few farm trucks sitting with this hood.

Got any pics of your truck.
Attached Images

1968 Camaro SS 396 / 502
rss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
ratskin

Just a suggestion-I'm sure you have, but make sure you disconnect your shocks to allow full release of tension.
ratskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

try this guy in harrington, jerry fries 509-253-4352, he was crushing in july, but there is a chance that the hood might still be there.
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
72bigred

Thanks so much for the heads up Jonz, hood is sitting in my driveway atm.. has a couple of dents and some beginning rust issues in the normal spots but very very worth my 2 hours driving down there. I am in pieces atm, frame has been wired/primed/painted. Getting ready to swop out the rear for a posi and am still trying to figure out why I have load on the front end. Yes I do have the shocks removed although it was a good suggestion.. I think this evening I am just going to let them go and see what happens, a few friends have came by and are boggled by it as well. I need to do some clean up to my picture page of my chevelle restore and then I will start posting this one here. Again thank you for the heads up on the hood, the wife is very happy.

Skez
Old 03-15-2018, 11:27 PM   #10
TheBrewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bigred View Post
Thanks so much for the heads up Jonz, hood is sitting in my driveway atm.. has a couple of dents and some beginning rust issues in the normal spots but very very worth my 2 hours driving down there. I am in pieces atm, frame has been wired/primed/painted. Getting ready to swop out the rear for a posi and am still trying to figure out why I have load on the front end. Yes I do have the shocks removed although it was a good suggestion.. I think this evening I am just going to let them go and see what happens, a few friends have came by and are boggled by it as well. I need to do some clean up to my picture page of my chevelle restore and then I will start posting this one here. Again thank you for the heads up on the hood, the wife is very happy.

Skez
Bringing this back from the dead... So what happened? When I did my disc conversion with the shock and ball joint disconnected, there was still a ton of tension on the t-bars. I really need to replace mine as they are set the same but one side of my truck is dipping.
2016 Chevrolet Colorado z71
2016 Chevrolet Traverse - Wifes Car
2014 Honda CBR500R <- Also A Dust Collector
2009 Suzuki GSXR600 <- Stolen
TheBrewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #11
LVPhotos

At full drop, truck up on jacks and whatnot, there is no tension.
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #12
TheBrewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPhotos View Post
At full drop, truck up on jacks and whatnot, there is no tension.
I get that is should be that way however it was still under a lot of tension at full droop even with the shock and ball joint disconnected.
2016 Chevrolet Colorado z71
2016 Chevrolet Traverse - Wifes Car
2014 Honda CBR500R <- Also A Dust Collector
2009 Suzuki GSXR600 <- Stolen
TheBrewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will need to back off the tension bolt that is on the crossmember at the back end of the torsion bars.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote