The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
weim55

Does a 2002 Tahoe use a chip key??

Purchased a 2002 Tahoe LS for a drivetrain swap into my '67 C10. Will only start for 1 second then shuts off. I was told the issue might be the key I have lacks a chip to read?

Thoughts?

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
69gmcc10

Re: Does a 2002 Tahoe use a chip key??

As far as I know gm vehicles of that vintage are not rfid chipped. My 03 silverado started and ran with just a cheap metal generic key. call the dealership to make sure.

It Sounds like the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) are still active in the computer. Did you have custom tune done to the computer to turn them off?

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/pt%2077-0011.pdf
this should be what you need.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
weim55

Thanks for the replies. Since I plan to use the 5.3 for a swap and will need to disable the VATS system anyway I'm going to disable the VATS in the PCM per a procedure I learned on utube. I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #5
izzy_Britton

i am not sure i understand completely, the truck only runs for 1 second then dies? but is this the 2002 tahoe that runs for only 1 second or did you yank all the parts and do a swap already and the 67 c-10 now only runs for a second and then dies?

yes this sounds like a VATS issue. and there are several ways around it depending upon the situation as asked above. before swap is simple and after swap still easy but more of a PITA .

before swap, when you have the truck sitting and you know it runs, fire it up and then while running, unplug all 3 plugs to the BCM (body control module). this fools the computer to think that the VATS has more or less been uninstalled and you wont have an issue with it AFTER the swap.

after swap there are several ways around it. the easiest and typically the way people go, is to have the ECM reprogrammed for the swap info (ties, trans, VIN, yada yada yada) and have VATS disabled while doing the custom tune. the custom tune is not something that everyone can do at home because of the software/hardware requirements (HP Tuners is one brand off the top of my head and it starts in the $500 range). so typically you send it off to a tuner with all your vehicle info and let the tuner take care of it. just remember to REMIND them to disable VATS.

thats probably a lot of extra info but heck... oh well.

also can you post up the you tube video you are referring to? i am curious to see it.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote