The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #76
Killer Bee

Re: Are You 100% Obedient Of All Laws?

coincidence?

Old 08-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #77
special-K
Special Order

I remember when having long hair meant you didn't have to break a law to get arrested. We were second class citizens same as any minority. I can relate to being profiled and all that. "Someone with your description...blah blah blah". Description: 18-21 year old white male with shoulder length brown hair wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-20-2018 at 05:00 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #78
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I remember when having long hair meant you didn't have to break a law to get arrested. We were second class citizens same as any minority. I can relate to being profiled and all that. "Someone with your description...blah blah blah. Description: 18-21 year old white male with shoulder length brown hair wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt.
Italics mine. You and just about every other guy your age in your town! I always kept my hair pretty short as a young man, just because everything I seemed to get stuck doing was really sweaty-A$$ or oily work, even if it was a "dry" heat.

TL;DR version of the below- I'm an old out-of-shape fart.

I still got pulled over plenty. I could spot a CHP cruiser from over a mile away in the mirror, and even on the other side of the road, on approach. They weren't allowed RADAR in those days. I never got a ticket from the CHP that I hadn't earned in spades, from the multitudes of speeding episodes in my life. The chances of seeing me driving below the speed limit are zero, even now. I was nuts. One of my friends lived on a really steep hill. I used to ride my 10-speed bike to the top of that hill past his house, turn around and pedal furiously to the bottom. I had a calibrated speedo on it, and could get it to just under 60 MPH (I DID say steep hill). I'm lucky to be alive- just think how far my body parts would have spread if someone had backed out of their driveway when I was exceeding the speed limit by 35 MPH. I could get that bike up to 40 MPH on level ground for about 100 yards before I ran out of breath. Those days are gone forever. One of my sons and I went to a gun range this morning, and I had to stop twice to catch my breath, hiking up the 1/2 mile STEEP driveway to the overflow parking lot, because the lower lot was full. Back in the day, I could have run up without stopping.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #79
special-K
Special Order

I remember getting pulled over in my '56 bug in broad daylight doing nothing wrong, this one time. Riding along a divided hiway, cop comes along behind, and pulls me over. He tells me the reason he pulled me over was my brake lights were dim. The car had the tiny tail lights with 6v system. They worked fine, as designed. I told him "I never hit my brakes until you pulled me over".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #80
100%Chevy

Back in the late 60's/early 70's having long hair was the "in" thing to do.
I did drink beer and smoke some pot but,that was it.
The pollice did harass us a lot,because we were thought to be draft dodgers,druggies,anti-establishment trouble makers.
Most weren't like that,just trying to fit in with the rest.
Remember the band--"The Cowsills"? David Cassidy?The musical called "Hair"? It was their song.I was at one of their first concerts.We all had long hair too!
I have had short hair for years now,but if you look around,you'll find some old hippy's with a bald head and a pony tail!LOL!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #81
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

It is too hot & humid down here for our hair from the 60s/70s. No more pony tails and dang sure no man-buns!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #82
special-K
Special Order

That man bun thing is a gross misinterpretation of the '60s from the grungy '90s. Keep that hair tie at about the collar... DUDE! I think Jack Nicolson started that sh!+. We never let our hair bother us back then. Like anything, you get used to it. I grew my hair long a few years back and it didn't bother me. But it was always pulled back, so what's the point? I cut the ponytail and donated it to Locks of Love. I did notice a difference in how I was treated by a lot of people... ones I hadn't met before.

Tim

Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #83
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
I have had short hair for years now,but if you look around,you'll find some old hippy's with a bald head and a pony tail!LOL!
Mike.
Hell, all I need to do is look in a mirror to see that...

Canned Head had something to say about such things:

https://youtu.be/kwh2tIfNNfE
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #84
special-K
Special Order

Oh yeah, a song I related too! I remember guys putting their hair up in a hat to hide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVL1Zs6WTw

Tim

Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #85
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Oh yeah, a song I related too! I remember guys putting their hair up in a hat to hide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVL1Zs6WTw
I was just about to look up that tune on U-Tube and post it!
When I was driving my 57 to Texas in 1974,I had a flat in a small town in Louisiana.At night.
No one at the gas station spoke English!Cajun only.
I did get my tire fixed.No problems as it was obviously flat.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #86
In The Ten Ring

I doubt it's a good idea to post online that one breaks any law.......

I read somewhere that there are so many laws that "the average American commits three felonies a day."
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #87
special-K
Special Order

I don't post anything on the internet I wouldn't want a judge to see. It's not wise to post specifics about much of anything personal. I'm not worried about posting petty BS law breakings (not crimes in the eyes of the fair minded), especially when the content is to show how ridiculous the incident was. It's also no secret that law enforcement has become as much, if not more, about grabbing revenue than actual public safety. It's not a good thing and I think people talking about is the best hope for helping that change. It's about "justice" not being controlled beyond our rights.

Tim

Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #88
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I remember when I was a kid, ever notice how the age of being a "kid" gets older and older, my oldest "kid" hit 37 last month. Anyway, a long time ago I was heading over to my moms house, about ten miles away, I decided to see if I could beat my old record of how long it took me to get there. 1969 bright red Charger (before the Duke boys were popular).

Sherriff passed me going the other way, he hit his lights, I probably could have been long gone before he got turned around, but I pulled over instantly and waited for him. He said he appreciated that I did that and only wrote me up for five over.

I think speeding is pretty much the only laws I break, and I never blatantly do that anymore. I suppose if I really thought about it something else might pop up. And I never had a problem with the police being overly policey, lol.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:52 AM   #89
samui

i try to follow all rules of law
samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #90
special-K
Special Order

I think we all try, but would you have known to stop at the Hanover, PA city limits and pull your hitch out if I hadn't told you? I guess my point is I think it is impossible for anyone to follow all laws at all times. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, right? Well, does anyone know all the laws, even hot shot lawyers or...... law makers? Common sense/common decency laws are universal and should go without saying. But some pretty ridiculous laws go on the books that we can ask "Who'da knew?"

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 08-30-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #91
Qammer

I can not say that I am observing all the laws, but I do not believe that I am a criminal. There are many laws about which I do not know. For example, administrative law. Recently I learned that you can not plant trees close to the fence. My neighbor does not require that I immediately transplanted the tree, but I did not do it on purpose. I suspect. that sometimes we violate the permissible noise level, but we warn the neighbors in advance about the party in our place, usually they only need to call or text sms, so that we become quieter.
Qammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #92
fecklessgadfly

I've been known to skirt the occasional window tint regulation. In my defense, the truck was like that when I bought it (the '03, not my '72).

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote