The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #2926
lkfldredneck

Re: Restoring Rusty

The primitive tool for the valve springs.. Holy. Ive been graced with having a pneumatic valve spring compressor, and thought the hand powered lever action ones were primitive haha good work man. Cant wait to hear it running again
lkfldredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:10 AM   #2927
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Go Greg go!
thanks man I appreciate that
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:21 AM   #2928
Valarius_Starchaser

The umbrela seal is like this

The others are viton seals and look like this

Watch where you place the longer arm on the tool it should be on the lower coil side of the spring that will give you the most "compression" of the spring also a magnet helps get the locks out if they are caked in there from years of abuse

Last edited by Valarius_Starchaser; 03-11-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Valarius_Starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #2929
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I hope you plan to port match the heads and intake :P Go big or go home sir.
what do you make of this video, not me some dude porting some Vortec 062 cylinder heads from the comfort of his very own computer room, LOL

DIY Head Porting Small Block Chevy Vortec 062 Part 1 of 3
Old 03-11-2016, 01:42 AM   #2930
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
The umbrela seal is like this

The others are viton seals and look like this

Watch where you place the longer arm on the tool it should be on the lower coil side of the spring that will give you the most "compression" of the spring also a magnet helps get the locks out if they are caked in there from years of abuse
thanks bud, I ended up getting these
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #2931
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
what do you make of this video, not me some dude porting some Vortec 062 cylinder heads from the comfort of his very own computer room, LOL

You don't have to go to the extremes as this guy... But yes. Essentially you want the openings to match the gaskets so that you get optimal airflow.

When you put your gasket onto your heads and or intake manifold you will see just how bad the castings and how much material can be removed.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #2932
chevybuldr

The L 5 3 on the back of the block and also similar on the heads is the casting date. The 010 is the casting number for the block. The numbers on the head surface pad is what makes it specific for your truck. The left number should match your vin. The number on the right is prefix code that tells where and when it was assembled and what exactly it was power wise.

Word of caution on those heads, the vortec heads are known for cracking. It would be a good idea that you have the heads magnafluxed for cracks. The surface on them also is very crude. You really need a very true and flat surface. I would highly suggest a visit to your local machine shop. Having things done now is a lot cheaper then being bent over the fender doing it a second time. This is not my shade tree opinion then is my machinest opinion. I have seen more then my fair share of them.
You have a great build thread going on just read thru it, keep it up love a budget build. Great save on an old truck.
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #2933
chevybuldr

Quote:

OOOHHH his wife must love him. The stuff gets everywhere why would you even consider port heads in the house let alone in your computer room. They will never get that out of the carpet lol.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #2934
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuldr View Post
The L 5 3 on the back of the block and also similar on the heads is the casting date. The 010 is the casting number for the block. The numbers on the head surface pad is what makes it specific for your truck. The left number should match your vin. The number on the right is prefix code that tells where and when it was assembled and what exactly it was power wise.

Word of caution on those heads, the vortec heads are known for cracking. It would be a good idea that you have the heads magnafluxed for cracks. The surface on them also is very crude. You really need a very true and flat surface. I would highly suggest a visit to your local machine shop. Having things done now is a lot cheaper then being bent over the fender doing it a second time. This is not my shade tree opinion then is my machinest opinion. I have seen more then my fair share of them.
You have a great build thread going on just read thru it, keep it up love a budget build. Great save on an old truck.
Throw some black paint on the heads mating surface grab a flat chunk of steel and throw some sandpaper across them. You'll know quickly how flat they are.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #2935
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
OOOHHH his wife must love him. The stuff gets everywhere why would you even consider port heads in the house let alone in your computer room. They will never get that out of the carpet lol.
Renter I bet, LOL
Old 03-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #2936
Troy Sr

Just ready your whole thread fun read. Make sure to replace those steel freeze plugs with brass while the engine is out!!! Subscribed
Old 03-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #2937
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
Just ready your whole thread fun read. Make sure to replace those steel freeze plugs with brass while the engine is out!!! Subscribed
Thank you for reading. I'm trying, two I already did while on the truck, didn't use brass, but plan on using brass from now on, went to AutoZone the other day and they only had one plug, it was brass, but only one, so I bought it.

Today I went in to a different AutoZone on my way home from work, and they too only had one brass freeze plug, so I bought it.

It's not easy! lol

Last edited by Gregski; 03-11-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #2938
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
You don't have to go to the extremes as this guy... But yes. Essentially you want the openings to match the gaskets so that you get optimal airflow.

When you put your gasket onto your heads and or intake manifold you will see just how bad the castings and how much material can be removed.
I totally get it, but I must admit the entire time I was watching that guys videos I was counting the ways I can muck these heads up, LOL

On a serious note, the main reason why I don't intend to port these Vortec heads is that everyone claims they are possibly the best GM cast iron heads, well so lets compare apples to apples. My non ported non polished 882s to these non ported non polished 062s.

See how I did that? See how I just got myself out of doing more work, ha ha
Old 03-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #2939
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
...Essentially you want the openings to match the gaskets so that you get optimal airflow.

Alright so here is an illustration of what my man is talking about, though I am demonstrating using the exhaust ports and header gasket, but you get the idea.

Basically the holes of the Vortec head and the holes in the Mr. Gasket gasket do not match up, in other words they are not the same exact size. I wonder how much of that bottom 3/16ths of meat could you grind down before hitting a water jacket, or is there even a water passage below the exhaust port, honestly I don't know, and I'm too skierd to find out, ha ha
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 03-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #2940
Gregski
Post Whore

and here is how the Mr. Gasket gasket holes match up with the HOOKER 2452 Competition header holes. Pretty good, but maybe they could use a little grindage also, but its risky, as you could cut through the weld and there are thinner walled pipes behind there.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #2941
Gregski
Post Whore

Gentlemen riddle me this:

What are these two small threaded holes for in the back of the engine block one behind each cylinder head?
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #2942
enaberif

Silly Greg I wasn't talking about that side lol. I was talking about intake manifold sides.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #2943
chevybuldr

Quote:
Gentlemen riddle me this:

What are these two small threaded holes for in the back of the engine block one behind each cylinder head?
Those are for the spark plug wire loom holders.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #2944
Jake Wade

Greg, do not remove any material from the bottom/floor of the exhaust port. Doing so will actually hurt flow.

Felpro 1444 fits the stock Vortec exhaust ports well.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #2945
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Silly Greg I wasn't talking about that side lol. I was talking about intake manifold sides.
sorry I assumed and gathered from the video that people port and polish both the intake and the exhaust ports.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #2946
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Those are for the spark plug wire loom holders.
thank you kindly that helps, much appreciated
Old 03-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #2947
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wade View Post
Greg, do not remove any material from the bottom/floor of the exhaust port. Doing so will actually hurt flow.

Felpro 1444 fits the stock Vortec exhaust ports well.
Thank you Jake, I will check it out.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #2948
Gregski
Post Whore

got the driver side cylinder head all cleaned up just need to disassemble it next to clean the valves, I think it cleaned up pretty good, the black spotting you see that's just black paint from when it was factory painted and not grease
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #2949
Gregski
Post Whore

just a little stare and compare at the way she looked when I got her and now after a short wire brush session

I should show a similar comparison of me before (clean) and after (dirty) after I transffered all the grease and grime from this head and on to myself
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #2950
Gregski
Post Whore

got the crank pulley cleaned
Attached Images