The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Jrainman

What primer

SO i hit a deer ,I have replace my fender , I have a few primers laying around was wondering what primer can I use with base PPG Deltron DBC
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: What primer

Not knowing what’s already on the fender but whether it is bare metal or a factory primer you can’t beat SPI epoxy and you can get enough build You may not need a high build primer
Old 10-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Marty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Not knowing what’s already on the fender but whether it is bare metal or a factory primer you can’t beat SPI epoxy and you can get enough build You may not need a high build primer
I really like their epoxy
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Jrainman

I have been using SPI products for al least 5 years now, I was proberly one of the first guys here that touted the brand ,I do have SPI epoxy ,2k regular build and Universal clear on hand , the only reason why I did not use SPI epoxy on this repair is that you need a min of 24 hrs and at least 65 degree temps on there epoxy before you progress on, I ended up going with PPG 37xx epoxy just because I needed to beat the weather here . last night temps dropped to 45 and tonight 35 . I ended up bringing the fender in my house wed night , i will get it out in the sun for a few hours friday to catch some rays. I am always impressed on the way universal clear lays down .
Old 10-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
Marty68

I am interested in trying their new speed and panel clear. if it has the same qualities and buffs as well as the others it mat be my on shelf clear. I never do a whole car at once anyway. I have used a couple gallons each of universal and uro 2020. I like 20 20 because it can be thinned.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
I am interested in trying their new speed and panel clear. if it has the same qualities and buffs as well as the others it mat be my on shelf clear. I never do a whole car at once anyway. I have used a couple gallons each of universal and uro 2020. I like 20 20 because it can be thinned.
When I paint my 68 ,I plan on using the URO, here great things about it , I would have picked up the URO for a test run on this repair, but being the shelf life on the universal is like forever I use it till its done.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Marty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
When I paint my 68 ,I plan on using the URO, here great things about it , I would have picked up the URO for a test run on this repair, but being the shelf life on the universal is like forever I use it till its done.
euro hardens up a bit quicker than universal i buffed the next weekend but if i had waited it may have taken a while seemed to need some leaning to get the 1500 scratches out. however maybe i should have sanded the 1500 grit out instead of buffing them out