The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
paintman

46 windshield? What am I looking at here?

Well i'm still trying to figure out what to do with my windshield dilema. Try and use the old frame, pop for a new one, or go 1 piece glass.
I came across this pic on the HAMB and wondered what is going on here. It looks as if it's 2 pieces of glass because of the seam in the middle. However I don't see any kind of frame around it. Is it possible to do 2 pieces butted together with the proper gasket? And still have the crank out work? Or is this an optical illusion, and it's really a 1 piece windshield?

[/URL]

As you may recall in my build thread, the dilema is.....my frame has a little bit of rot (that is nearly impossible to repair), right were the center brace attaches at the bottom. The brace covers the rot, but juuuuuust barely.

The only thing I can think of doing. Is assemble the frame with the glass and center brace installed, along with a wad of panel adhesive in the gap around the connecting V bar.. Then do whatever shaping andminor putty work that is needed around the outside of the center brace (BEING CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE GLASS). Then attempt to paint the frame with the glass installed?

Or, go ahead and paint the frame now. Assemble the frame and glass, then work the rotted area with putty. Then just touch up the bottom of the frame with paint when all is done.

Anybody got any other ideas? There's no way i am popping for a new frame. I would rather just tack some chicken wire across the front of the opening and go dirt track style.
[/URL]

[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
CSHADES

Re: 46 windshield? What am I looking at here?

That looks like a v-butted windshield that was glued in with a GM bead around the edge. the black you see about of 1 inch around the edge is just a paint/primer that something to do with gluing in the glass. Without the frame it will not crank out. I thought you were going to break down and buy a new frame for the windshield.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
paintman

I thought you were going to break down and buy a new frame for the windshield.[/QUOTE]
Uh, no, that was you trying to spend my money...........
Old 09-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
dennislbrooks

Re: 46 windshield? What am I looking at here

Will the 2 halves come off the v-bars? I had to slit my 42 that I bought the frame used from CA to get it apart. If so lightly sand blast it or at least sandblast at the rot. Zero Rust or equiv to all parts. Use the correct welting and put it back together with new glass. Then use JB Weld or equiv to fill in what is needed to allow the center to cover. You can shape the JB. Try to use the filler so that the glass and windshield frame could be taken back apart. When satisfied, mask and topcoat frame. Also, I just bought a new frame for the 46 from the manufacturer --- N/C Industries in PA.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
CSHADES

Just so I have it straight in my head(went and looked through your build thread)---you did all that nice work and paint and now you are trying to cheap out on something you will have to literally stare at the whole time you are driving the truck? Just a thought but that truck really needs a chrome windshield frame.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
paintman

you did all that nice work and paint and now you are trying to cheap out on something you will have to literally stare at the whole time you are driving the truck? [/QUOTE]

How am I cheaping out by painting the windshield frame? There are many pics of trucks with painted frames that look great. Hell even the pic of the truck I posted at the top of this thread looks killer without a frame. The thing is.........If I went ahead and spent 600 on a new chrome windshield frame, then it would be, how about another 1500 on a grille? Then how about another 350 a piece on bumpers? Oh, how about new chrome trim rings for the headlight buckets? Hmmmm or even new door handles. Man, it sure is easy to spend other peoples money, isn't it.

The way I see it, I can always go back and replace the frame later on, someday, if it really bothers me when I'm "literally starring at it going down the road". Wait a minute. How can I stare at the outside of my windshield frame when I am inside the truck driving it?

All kidding aside, I really appreciate all the input and praise you (and every body else), have given me. But I think it's a way over blown. Even though the truck looks good in pics on the net, it still has issues up close. Christ if we really want to get picky, the whole back of the cab should have been cut out and replaced with the way it was oil canning. But all I did was shove back in place with some half assed bracing, putty, and paint. Remember I am just a rank amateur at this, and if you where to see the truck up close you may have a different opinion on wether a chrome grille is justified. Hell I don't even know if this truck will run or go down the road straight.

At this point I have ordered new glass and seals to try and make do with what I have. I am still kicking around the idea of painting the frame white to match the grille. I have this image in my head of the truck with a single row of oak side boards pickled white, as well as the floor of the bed pickled white. But I am also considering just doing the frame in the Mango Tango to blend it in with the rest of the truck.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

When I was building my truck I wanted to keep with the patina look so I ended up buying 2 other frames to make one complete. It was a pain in the A** getting it all apart and ready for new glass and seals. I looked at a new one and the quality just wasn't there. They are a tough piece to find in good condition. I really wanted to keep the windshield crank out for the original factor. If you want a chrome ready to go complete unit look into chevy's of the 40's. If you want a paintable unit you will probably have to put some work into getting the parts and fixing them. Good luck either way. Truck is coming along nicely. CHIZZLER
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-Tr...JX1fr6&vxp=mtr

This one looks pretty good. Some repairs will be needed.
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999

Last edited by CHIZZLER; 09-12-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote