The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Template or Measurements for fulltop Blazer Doors

Anyone have the templates of measurements for the fulltop Blazer Doors. Trying to get info so OPP can make the fullglass conversion fit these also.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
wildmanaaron

Re: Template or Measurements for fulltop Blazer Doors

I posted this awhile back and never got anything. I hope someone could post this. My Blazer is getting all of the sheetmetal replaced that was bad and I am going to replace the doors as well. If nobody posts anything, I have access to an original 75 Blazer and could get some measurements.
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
wildmanaaron

Anyone got anything??
Old 05-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

This is the only response I have gotten...
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=5415.0
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by Captkaos; 05-21-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot the link...
Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
wedgemon

Wouldn't one piece glass be the same as the same year truck???

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

See if this will help..

http://coloradok5.com/full-convertible-conversion.shtml
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
wildmanaaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
This is the only response I have gotten...
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=5415.0
I may be wrong but one of those pictures of the door at the lower part where it is cut looks a little too short. Hopefully someone will come up with something that is 100% correct. I have a set of doors for a full-top Blazer. They are rough and going to be scrapped when I find a Nice LH door and then I will cut them both down to fit. I would be willing to help in any way if it means getting a good deal on the kit. I can box them up and ship them by UPS freight anywhere in the country.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgemon View Post
Wouldn't one piece glass be the same as the same year truck???
The actual "KIT" is the same, but the Blazer doesn't use the same rear channel to support the window. They are wanting to create a support channel kit for this, like they are doing for the 67-72 Blazers that would be X amount more, but wanted to have one on display to show it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanaaron View Post
I may be wrong but one of those pictures of the door at the lower part where it is cut looks a little too short. Hopefully someone will come up with something that is 100% correct. I have a set of doors for a full-top Blazer. They are rough and going to be scrapped when I find a Nice LH door and then I will cut them both down to fit. I would be willing to help in any way if it means getting a good deal on the kit. I can box them up and ship them by UPS freight anywhere in the country.
The pictures on my forum are from an owner of a fulltop, so.... I would really like to find the actual GM template they had, but we are still looking.

I can't discount the glass kits anymore than I already have since I am lower than OPP. I will give him a call and see what he says though.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The newer (77-up) doors I cut looked just like those, except for the support (filler) under the cap. With the doors on my 77 Blazer, the support was not really needed. The metal bracing part of the run channel stops about 2 1/2 inches below the cap. By using a long screw that will reach the brace, the cap is secured. Also, there is a relief cut on the back edge of the glass on a 73-5 Blazer so it will clear the cap. If you are doing a one piece glass kit, you will need to include that as well.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
The newer (77-up) doors I cut looked just like those, except for the support (filler) under the cap. With the doors on my 77 Blazer, the support was not really needed. The metal bracing part of the run channel stops about 2 1/2 inches below the cap. By using a long screw that will reach the brace, the cap is secured. Also, there is a relief cut on the back edge of the glass on a 73-5 Blazer so it will clear the cap. If you are doing a one piece glass kit, you will need to include that as well.
Could you point out the pic you are talking about and/or upload one...

I have only ridden in a fulltop Blazer, never disassembled a door on them. (problem the only one...)
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 05-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Let me say firstoff that I did not put the 73 roof clip on my old 77 Blazer. It is also now in the big junkyard in the sky.....

When GM still offered replacement doors for 73-75 Blazers, it was a pickup door with a template of where to cut, and a filler for teh rear of teh door. The hole that is left above the vent window is filled with a rubber plug, that doubles as the weatherstrip where the door meets the top. At the rear of the door, there is a fiberglass cap that covers the hole left there. Since my truck was a 77, I had the newer design window regulator, door panel, etc., so I had to use a later door when I went to replace them. We used the cap as a template for the cut above the vent window. The hole that holds the vent assembly in place also locates the cap. The rear cut is straight with the bottom of the window, just like the pics on your website. The truck belt molding will have to be shaved back a bit as well to clear the cap (it turns up at the rear).

There is actually a support brace for the rear window already. I am sure you have had a pickup door apart, so you will be able to follow me. The run channel brace that goes in the back of the door is the same for Blazer and pickup. It will be about 2 inches shy of the top of the door after the cut is made. If you cut the run channel down to the length of that metal channel, it will work fine. Since it is at an angle in the door, the back of the glass has an angle cut in it to clear the cap that is added to the door. The people that did the roof clip on my truck ran a long sheetrock/deck screw from the cap to that channel (primitive, I know, but it worked). The doors did not seem to flex that much more than they did on my 75 as I remember, so the inner bracing is probably not really needed. Since my truck was parted out, the parts are scattered in a pretty wide swath. I think the doors are at my rental house, but I would have to dig to find the parts in my shed. Maybe someone with a 73-5 Blazer could post a pic of the glass.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #12
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
The run channel brace that goes in the back of the door is the same for Blazer and pickup. It will be about 2 inches shy of the top of the door after the cut is made. If you cut the run channel down to the length of that metal channel, it will work fine. Since it is at an angle in the door, the back of the glass has an angle cut in it to clear the cap that is added to the door.
I got you right up til here. What part is angle cut? The bottom portion of the glass? As in you have a square glass with the bottom rear corner chopped off? That is the same as a pickup... If you are talking about another notch, I am lost.. The track should be the same as you indicated, just shorter and the cap should be grooved for glass clearance.... Like here: http://coloradok5.com/fulltopconversion/020.jpg
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 05-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
I got you right up til here. What part is angle cut? The bottom portion of the glass? As in you have a square glass with the bottom rear corner chopped off? That is the same as a pickup... If you are talking about another notch, I am lost.. The track should be the same as you indicated, just shorter and the cap should be grooved for glass clearance.... Like here: http://coloradok5.com/fulltopconversion/020.jpg
That picture is indeed the cap. On the blazer glass, the notch is a little more pronounced, I believe. Well, now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever had a pickup door apart (that I pulled the glass out of). They may very well be the same.

It looks like you may be right. To double check, I wrote a quick estimate to see if the Blazer glass is different. Pathways shows the same glass from 73-80, so according to that, it must be the same. With all of the other trouble they went through on my Blazer, I assumed (yeah, I know) that the glass had been swapped, too. Pathways does not show a picture of the glass that far back. It made sense that the cut would be more pronounced since the glass does not roll straight up and down, but rather at an angle.

With all of that out, I don't think you would have to add anything to make the one piece glass kit to fit a Blazer.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Anyone got any leads on this?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
wildmanaaron

One thing that is different is the rear window track between the full doors and the full-top Blazer doors. It is shorter and mounts slightly different than the Trucks track.