The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
dennyswildworld

dually conversion

Hello, I have an 84 2500 suburban that I want to convert to a dually. I have a 77 dually to get parts off. Neither truck is currently running. It is over an hour drive from my home, so I would like to get what I need in as few trips as possible. Does anyone know what parts I need to take? How much of an 84 and a 77 will interchange. Other than the rearend and wheels. Can I use my subs rear springs? How about the front end. Can I change spindles and use my a-arms? How much of the front end will I need to get?
dennyswildworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
rcbildr

Re: dually conversion

Might want to take one trip and to go out and measure the width of the rear spring perches and take pictures of all that you want to work with. My friend did a similar swap..wanted to put a 1ton rear end under the 3/4ton truck... and he ran in to some problems. I can't remember all of them, but I think some were how the shocks were mounted at the frame and the width of the rear spring perches.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

One tons have narrower spring perch spacing than 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons. you will have to move the spring perches on the axle to match the suburban frame/springs. Most of the other stuff should carry over, but I'd measure and compare before pulling both apart.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
watahyahknow

youre going to need the front diskbrakes/hub to replace the 3/4 spindles on youre truck the truckwheels would fit on the 3/4 hubs but it would stick in a lot and look like the wheels on a motorhome .
and you need the wheels themselves and the rearaxle complete if possible and the bed with the fender bulges when you want the wide rear on youre truck too
if you want the narrow rear axle and youre truck has a 14 bolt rearaxle the best thing to do in my eyes is to pull the shafts and replace the hubs on the rearaxle of youre truck with the ones of the donoraxle
the gearing in youre own rearaxle is prolly better then the one out of the one ton , you do need to move the mountingpoint on the axle that holds the rearplate for the drumbakecalipers inwarth cause the new hubs make the drums go further up the axle towarth the diff or put diskbrakes on (front diskbrakes from a 4x4 fit on a 14 bolt http://www.projectresponder.com/rear...ersion~158.htm or http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...b_disc_brakes/ , when youre going to use this setup you probably have to cut out and widen the inner fenders of youre own bed to get the wheels to fit but the duallie tires will fit inside the stock bed without the bulges .
you basicly made a chassis cab axle when youre done the only thing im not sure about is the leafsprings you might need to move those inboard to make room for the inner wheels

if the truck still has a clear title im verry interested in buying the papers and the vinnumber from that truck for a truck i own here in the netherlands send me an pm and we talk price .....

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
dennyswildworld

Thanks for all the info. Watahyahknow..I am getting the parts off a buddy. He does not have a title for the truck. Sorry,but thanks for the info
Old 06-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
watahyahknow

it would look somewat like this when you do the narrow one

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 06-14-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
dennyswildworld

Wow!! Thanks for the pics!! I was planning on using a wide axle and ordering the custom fenders, but now I am not sure. That sub looks sweet.

Does anyone know if the springs will need to be moved?

What do you all think? In or out?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
hey man, I'm looking at the front axle of this truck, and I notice the lower control arms are at the same level as the wheel spindles, and most other trucks I've seen (mine included) the lower ball joints are several inches lower than the spindles - do you happen to know why does this truck sit so high in the front? Does it use some aftermarket lift spindles, or is there some factory GM spindles that can be used to give such a lift? Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
watahyahknow

i havent seen this truck in real life but it could be its a 4 x 4 and wat you see is a straight axle

Last edited by watahyahknow; 06-17-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i havent seen this truck in real life but it could be its a 4 x 4 and wat you see is a straight axle
Ah, well yeah, that may be, I thought it just looks too thin to be a solid axle so I assumed 2wd with a front lift kit of some kind
Old 06-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
watahyahknow

http://www.morlock-motors.de this guy in germany might now more he was the owner/seller of that truck .
he bought a lot of army surplus from the german bases of the usa militairy and he likes to tinker with the different parts making cars and trucks that actually never been build by the manufacturer that way .
i know him as a crumpy person that asks a lot of money for parts and doesnt respond whell to a lot of questions when there isnt a sell connected to it