The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
kna4977

1972 VIN stamp, casting numbers, and date code location help needed

I've been out of this loop for some time and when I was in it before these vehicles were much less valuable so numbers didn't matter all that much.

I'm looking at what is claimed to be an all original survivor 1972 Blazer CST 4x4 350 automatic.

I'm aware of the SPID inside the glovebox, driver's door decal and I believe there is a metal plate riveted to the door jamb on the driver's side IIRC.

Are there other places to look and if so where? Did they have cowl, buck tags or anything like that?

Did GM VIN stamp the engines and transmissions on these and if so where would those stamps be located?

Did they have build sheets or tank stickers and if so where were they typically located?

Date codes and/or casting numbers on major components where would they be located (engine, transmission, rear axle, transfer case etc.)

Glass is usually etched, how can I verify if it's original or not? Not sure who GM used then but I think LOF or PPG possibly others?? If I know what logo to look for I can decipher the date code(s)

Thanks in advance for any help.
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:43 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: 1972 VIN stamp, casting numbers, and date code location help needed

The VIN plate is on the driver door B pillar, should be affixed w rosette rivets. No Buck or other tags. There is a partial VIN stamped onto the top of the frame visible posterior from the power steering box. Check this against the plate and SPID.

No VIN stamping on the engine. Check the block and tranny date codes to see if these approximate that on the blue driver door decal. These are shown here: https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...8&postcount=60 The axles and t-case have date codes too. Check the date codes on the glass, LOF glass.

No K5s have been shown with a build sheet, which seems unique to or nearly unique to Fremont assembled pickups.

Photos?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:03 PM   #3
kna4977

Awesome thanks for the great info. If anyone has any photos or info about specific locations to look for casting numbers, stamps and dates on major components that would be greatly appreciated.

In the link posted above where are those numbers located on the part? On axles and transfer cases where do you look?

There's also seat belts and mirrors. Here's a link to what I think is some helpful info for myself and others on LOF glass, seatbelts and mirrors.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/otAcq3v6BBYfa1D28

Last edited by kna4977; 02-13-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:50 PM   #4
kna4977

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
The VIN plate is on the driver door B pillar, should be affixed w rosette rivets. No Buck or other tags. There is a partial VIN stamped onto the top of the frame visible posterior from the power steering box. Check this against the plate and SPID.

No VIN stamping on the engine. Check the block and tranny date codes to see if these approximate that on the blue driver door decal. These are shown here: https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...8&postcount=60 The axles and t-case have date codes too. Check the date codes on the glass, LOF glass.

No K5s have been shown with a build sheet, which seems unique to or nearly unique to Fremont assembled pickups.

Photos?
Where are those located on the engine and transmission?
Old 02-17-2023, 01:16 PM   #5
kna4977

Did GM ever use Guardian glass on the hatch window instead of LOF?