The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

As some of you will remember rom this thread (http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=619162), I wrecked my beloved '72 GMC 1500 Super Custom. Happened a little over a week ago. The grieving period is over and it's time to get our hands dirty. So I did a little measuring and some assessing as to how much damage has been done. The tear down will start this weekend. Frame still might be tweaked, but won't know for certain 100% until I get all the sheet metal off.

So here are some pics from the damage assessment my wife and I did. I removed the fan shroud so I could at least drive it without the fan hitting it, and had my wife follow me on a short run. Truck does go down the road straight, and there are no wobbles. But the tranny selector is all screwed up as the linkage is tweaked. So... lets dive in!

Gary

Pics #1 and #2 are of the drivers side wheels. The beads collected a lot of crap as I slid into the ditch.

Pic #3 Hood and drivers side fender

Pic #4 Drivers door to fender contact. Check the gap in the hood too!

Pic #5 Drivers door hinge ripping from the door.
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Next set of pics...

Gary
Pic #1 inner fender ripped away from fender

Pic #2 Passenger side hood. This also worries me. Not sure if that' gonna be able to be straightened back out correctly.

Pic #3 Passenger side bed to cab contact.

Pic #4 Drivers side inner fender buckled. This will be gone when I install new inner fender.

Pic #5 Not as noticeable in the pic. But radiator is kicked back and up on drivers side. Passenger side rad tank is tweaked where it meets the core.
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More...

Gary

Pics #1 and #2 Are of the sway bar. Good thing it's a thick one. The crash moved it, but didn't bend it.

Pic #3 Fan to shroud contact. Snapped before I removed the shroud.

Pic #4 Hood pin tweaked.

Pic #5 Check the gap on the hood and cowl.
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Last pics...

Pic #1 You an see how the shifter has to go past the indicator to put it in park. Reverse is where park is now.

Pic #2 You can see the dramatic lean to the drivers side. The front bumper is actually shoved under the truck a bit and the bumper braces are tweaked pretty good. The grille and everything else on the front should be savable.

So... that's a quick down and dirty of what we have to work with. We'll know more as we do more.

See you soon with an update!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
BMERDOC

Thats enough to make a grown man cry.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Lee H

OK, Let the fun begin!

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
dmartin1

ill definately follow. nice gmc! little more elbow grease and youll be there!
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
hugger6933

Out of the box the first thing that came to mind I didn't spend any time looking at the pics[less than 30 seconds total]. i don't want to make light of this for you so please don't take it that way because I'm glad your OK and it is sheet metal. You've seen one you've seen them all. Well in my case that may be a little different than others, I rebuild late model wrecks for a living and have done so since 1987 and I look at on the average about 300 wrecks per week. Weather it is in person or on the computer, it may go as high as a 1,000 in a week if it is a special case or low as 150 if I'm really busy but 300 would be a good average of what I see.
Next thing I noticed is the sway bar. It is a good indicator of how much the frame may have moved over. For instance the shiny part of the bar is what I'm talking about it has been covered by the bushings up until the wreck and now is uncovered and that shiny is showing how much [or half as] much the frame has moved. From my years of doing this I've only run into few, very few bent sway bars. Also the thing that was [is] my niche is Chevy /GMC Silverados/ Tahoes Suburbans . S-10's lots of them. A quick way to measure the thing out is to do some simple "X" measurements. Start off under the cab, and take measurements from say the left rear to the right front. Then swap and do the opposite measurement, they should read the same or so very close. If they don't you have found the starting point of where a frame tech guy [or at least I would on my frame machine] start with the first pull to get that back. Now keep in mind when taking the "X"'s that if they are off only HALF of that number needs to come off of the measurement before becoming square once again.
Once you've checked the cab, then check the bed, it is pretty simple really so if the bed is off. If that number is good back up a little and include the front cab mounts into the mix of the measurements. That way you can take out of the picture any thing from the fire wall [cowl]back.
Now your almost done by now your an old pro at this "X" stuff. Now go to a spot on the fire wall and take it to the core support mount on the other side, then flip and check that should be it if all are super close, your ready to hang sheet metal. Don't put the tape in the thrash though it will serve you well doing the front stuff too it will help a ton on the front by using this method, it will get you super duper close on the hood before ever lifting the heavy thing, also telling you what way to go to get it lined up so the fan will be in the middle of the shroud. I hope this helps you out a little. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
hugger6933

Oh, if I can help farther let me know or PM me
Old 03-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

During the rebuild up, I'm thinking of doing some of the stuff I've been putting off for years. Cutting the rust out of the cab, new tail gate, relocating the gas tank to the rear for better weight over the axle, new front control arms, and a flip kit for the rear leaves, etc... lol

The list just keeps getting longer.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Oh, if I can help farther let me know or PM me
Jim! Thanks for that quick write up! I have a feeling that the frame is indeed bent. Never thought about the sway bar having a couple of "tells" that the frame could be off.

I have one question... can I take the rig to a frame shop with all the sheet metal off the front? Or should I leave it all intact and take it to a shop first?

Thanks!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
thefraze_1020

Gary, if you ever need help getting that truck on its feet again, give me a buzz. I'm up on Bay View Hill (off Hwy 20 on the way to Burlington/ MV).

1984 Chevy C20 Custom Deluxe
thefraze_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
hugger6933

Most Shops don't mind the sheet metal off the front, if it still starts to pull up on the machine under power that is a HUGE BONUS for most. With the metal out of the way the frame is easier to access to see and to hook to and measure. Of course I'm weird they may say they have to see it with the metal on it but I would shy away from that guy cause for one he may not be a true truck guy because he might just be after some more $$$ to charge in tear down fees. Most of the guys I used before I got my machine didn't mind the missing parts rather enjoyed it for the reasons listed above as long as it rolled on its suspension most were OK with it. Some had the ability to do some work with the suspension knocked out too. But one thing they all had in common, they never made a pull while I was there. It was a thing that they didn't want to see how long it took to hook up or how they pulled or what but NOT ONE ever made a pull while I was with the truck. I will tell you that the hooking up is about 80% of the challenge once it is done and the chains are tight and the pull is ready you can bend some stuff in a heart beat, or at least I can with my machine and it is nothing real fancy. Like I said help is always free, holler if you need it .Jim
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Subscribed and watching Gary

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #15
imjeff

Subscribed!
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
jmorri34

Subscribed as well. I always liked your truck and the color of it and I am looking forward to seeing you put'er back together. Glad your ok man!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Hawghauler

I'm down on the bottom of the island, so I'm close, let me know if you need anything and if possible I'm in.
Curtis

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #18
slowcpe

Sub'ing. Can't wait to see it back on the road.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #19
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Check out your motor mounts. I had a front end collision in my 72 and the motor mounts had sheared letting the engine to move forward causing the shifter to be misaligned. I didn't have as much damage as you have.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #20
In The Ten Ring

With all the help available here, I am sure you can do this.

If I wrecked my truck I'd be in a much worse spot but I'd try and fix it or save the parts, get another one (long wheel base the next time!), and go forward.

We can only go forward.....

I've prayed for you, just now. And do cut the rust out, do relocate the gas tank....no better time than this! So maybe it won't be all bad.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

So today I went out to lunch with the wife. After I dropped her back off at work, there is a hot rod shop located right behind her work place. So I strolled over there and talked to the owner.

We discussed the fact that my frame might be bent, and they are in the business of straightening frames on old vehicles. They actually specialize in custom rods. So they aren't doing any insurance work to stay afloat. He showed me their operation and I was quite pleased with what they have going on.

He asked when I could bring the rig in for them to look at it. I told him that the drivers side door will not stay closed so I would either have to rig it shut with rope, or put it on a flatbed.

He asked where I was located here in town, and I told him. He said he can make a trip out to my place to take a look at my truck to save me the trouble of trying to get it there. I thought that was a really cool gesture. So he and his bodywork guy are gonna swing by on Monday to have a look. Then we'll decide where we're going from there.

He also got me a line on a 1971 Chevy C10 Longbed as well.

I'd say it was a banner day to say the least. I'm pumped t get the ball rollin'.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
REEDS 72

Its going to be better than before.
REEDS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
swamp rat

Whats the name of the place?? Pretty cool that they are gonna go to your place and have a look at it to save you the headache.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #24
Coley

Smile Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Go for it Gary.....its about to get better man!
The renewal...its underway!
For some parts or miscellaneous you might want to consider hitting the Portland Swap meet in a few weeks.
You might pick up some good sheet metal... or who knows?

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #25
hugger6933

Shop owners aren't all jerks I ride all over the country looking at truck/cars parts whatever. I have driven a bunch a miles one way to write a free estimate I don't even write them as a normal course of my business. I usually don't do outside work, unless it is someone i have sold a truck to or someone that came to me on a recommendation. Lately though the wrecks have gone up so much [wrecked] and what I can get for them [done] is down] I'm doing more of the outside work,and part of my service in that is if somebody needs me to look at a dent or a wreck that they have had and the truck is 40-50 -60 miles away I'll take a ride. I don't know if it is so much customer courtesy with me or I'm just a nice guy almost to a fault.
Case in point I sold some friends a 07 Colorado Crew cab in 08 with about 7500 miles, it had been rebuilt by me. Right after Christmas, The lady called and said her husband had wrecked it and she was sending it to me for me to have. they had put tires on it in November and maybe I could use them or something off of it. She had given me the truck if I just would pay the flatbed ride to my place. well I did and the truck only needed a left 3/4 front on it,it was the mans only ride his wife had given it to me but I could not take it. Could you? I spent the next while chasing down some parts on the computer and fighting some of the coldest weather we have seen in a long time but I got all back together and spent long nights in front of this computer trying real hard to save every penny I could because the wreck was deemed his fault and his insurance didn't pay. So I got all done and delivered it to him 30 miles from my shop and gave him the bill and it was about $500 to $1500 short of what they were expecting to pay. I could have charged more but it ended up as shop filler any way so why. Ramble off I have to go to bed now. Sorry For long post.. Jim