The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
stomper

Firewall Pad - Who's sells a good one?

Heater core leaked for a long time and the original firewall pad is garbage. Since this is a truck I intend to keep and it's pretty original. I'd like to make the effort to replace the entire pad with something original(ish). I've shopped online and there are lots of different choices out there. Some look like you have to cut a flat piece of cardboard to fit and others look like they are nice formed rubber/jute with all the cut-outs and come with the fasteners. However there is usually just one pic of the product and a disclaimer that may not be the 'actual product' - or no pic at all. I've read all the forum topics I could find. Anyone have recent experiences with this? Not interested in Dynamat type solutions. Pic for attention.
Attached Images

Last edited by stomper; 01-07-2019 at 07:03 PM.
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
Wgesnerjr

Re: Firewall Pad - Who's sells a good one?

I used the second one when doing my 85. The right hand side was very good (for an a/c truck) but the left side around the steering column was not cut like my original. There should be a large triangular cut out for the steering column base that is not there. i wound up cutting mine but it looks like crap. Bought mine from LMC but would not use again. it is thick cardboard with jute padding on the back. Certainly not worth the asking price.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

I am working on redoing the interior of my 83 C20. The firewall pad was mostly disintegrated and coming apart from various windshield leaks. I decided to get some cheap foil backed polyurethane like car insulation from ebay. It is not the best quality, but way better than the original stuff. The silver backing (which faces the interior) was not very thick or shinny, but it does not delaminate from the foam backing.

I had to cut the bulk material in small pieces to fit it around all of the obstructions. I had the hvac box out because I saw what appeared to be evidence of past leaking around the box, so that area was pretty much one piece. I used hvac aluminized silver tape to cover the seams of the pieces.

I am undecided about using it under the carpet, and whether or not I will get new carpet. The super sticky back on this stuff makes it difficult to work with. You basically have one shot to get it in place because once it touches a surface it is stuck there. I don't know how good it is but I got the 3/8" thick (approximately) version. I am sure that this is the cheap Chinese stuff, but I could not see spending $300-$500 on the expensive stuff. I think I spent about $50 for a roll probably large enough to do the floor and the firewall.

I will probably get the thin 1/16" stuff for the back wall, since here in HotZona every metal surface get to be a blazing temperature in the summer. I have a custom storage box I made for the behind the seat area, so whatever I put there will be mostly covered up.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:23 AM   #4
stomper

Thanks for the reply tuscon but I only am interested in an original style pad. Did you try to find a good one and gave up?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

In looking at the "stock" firewall insulation, it was apparent to me that the factory installed the insulation prior to making all of the penetrations for the various parts that came through the firewall. So, a faithful "factory" installation would require removing most everything along the firewall, installing the insulation, then remounting everything to the firewall again.

Also, the stock insulation is not very good insulation, in my opinion, and even my cheap Ebay pad seems more effective. I wanted to use some insulation behind the kick panels and under the carpet that was better than the stock stuff. After getting a leak from the windshield I saw how the stock insulation deteriorated when subjected to moisture and did not want to see that happen again. These old squares are very leaky and I don't think it is possible to guarantee that they will never leak, no matter what measures you take. I am not looking to sell my truck at Barrett Jackson or Mecum, so I don't need to be a purist - my truck is too far gone for that.

The only way I would use stock insulation and carpet padding is if I were to immediately sell the truck when I was done. But each to his or her own.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
obijuan

I installed one from usa1 and it was ver close to OEM. 79 manual trans with ac. All of the holes in the right spot. Thick insulation with heavy backing cardboard stuff.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
rsavage

I've used the stock type heavy cardboard/jute backing a few times. The most recent on my 69 Blazer was a 3 piece unit. Fit pretty well but the plastic hardware that is designed to hold it in place has been absolute junk. They are too large to go through the holes, bend easily, and are too long to go through the firewall where it is double walled near the steering column. Expensive and not impressive.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
I installed one from usa1 and it was ver close to OEM. 79 manual trans with ac. All of the holes in the right spot. Thick insulation with heavy backing cardboard stuff.
Thank you! That's just what I was looking for.

rsavage, yea those aftermarket retainers are junk